Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Impala Vs. Marauder comparison article from an author who did not drive one

Another Impala Vs. Marauder comparison article from an author who did not drive one

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/04/30/...retrospective/

Like many of us we have driven both in both stock and modified forms. Yes we are biased but having driven both there is no comparison. On paper comparing the two from a computer is not a fair comparison and an unfair representation. So that is my rant for today...

52 Ford F1 truck (302 V8 WIP)
    58 Pontiac Parisienne
    93 Mustang Cobra (stock)
    03 Mercury Marauder
    03 Lincoln Town Car
    05 Dodge Magnum (Hemi)
    05 F150 FX4
    15 Porsche Cayenne S

I have owned 2 marauders and a 94 Caprice 9C1 (same drivetrain as Impala SS). I will say in stock form the 9C1 outperformed But the Marauder is much more refined and with a few mods brings it up to par with the Impala SS power/torque. Thus why I've had 2 Marauders!
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

Blog Entries
    I went to a Chev Dealer to look at the Impala. They didn't have any SS demos available to drive.

As I started to leave the salesman said wait the owner just pulled up in his, let me ask him.

He came back and said the owner is ok taking it on a demo drive. I am driving the car and glance at the speedo. I notice something on the console, when I come to a stop I look at it. It's a roach!

I immediately head back to the dealer. The salesman ask why and I reply I have seen enough.

When I drive the Marauder it had the solid feel of a luxury car and that's what sold me.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

Just like CNN slants everything to the left, this guy slants everything towards the Impala.
    The author is a Chevy Tard....no doubt.
    I bet he's never driven either car, but he rides a mean keyboard.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Walsh View Post
    Just like CNN slants everything to the left, this guy slants everything towards the Impala.
    Have you driven both?
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

Yep....almost bought a black '96 Impala SS, but I really needed an SUV and ended up with a black '96 S10 Blazer (4.3 Vortec - 3/4 SBC)
    The SS definitely had the low end grunt, ride quality was good....didn't like the cheapo dash. Never hit any hard corners during the test drive.

2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)

Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge

I agree the interior of the SS is basic and cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Walsh View Post

As Faux News slants everything to the right.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

To bad Mercury couldn't stuff the 5.4l into the MM so we wouldn't have to read these dopey articles comparing the two, and yes I know why Steve didn't. I have never driven an SS, but there are a few around here that come to the cruise nights(pre-Corona). Today the SS shape is meh to me, but I can recall back in the day I thought 'I guess it's the best Chevy could do with trying to polish the turd looking Caprice and the even more horrendous looking Buick'.

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    As Faux News slants everything to the right.
    Yep, It's good to have a little balance in the mainstream media!*
    I can't watch too much of either side or my head will explode....
    Imagine if either Party could come up with qualified candidates and Presidents!

*It started to really devolve with the 'Dan Rather' incident, as the mainstream media could no longer deny their liberal slant.

Now back to our previously scheduled thread....
    Last edited by Joe Walsh; 05-01-2020 at 01:37 PM.

Now do a comparison of 80 on up in stock form. The lil Merc will have not only passed the Cheby, but seriously starting to embarrass it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsmen View Post
    I went to a Chev Dealer to look at the Impala. They didn't have any SS demos available to drive.

As I started to leave the salesman said wait the owner just pulled up in his, let me ask him.

He came back and said the owner is ok taking it on a demo drive. I am driving the car and glance at the speedo. I notice something on the console, when I come to a stop I look at it. It's a roach!

I immediately head back to the dealer. The salesman ask why and I reply I have seen enough.

When I drive the Marauder it had the solid feel of a luxury car and that's what sold me.
    I agree the Marauder has a solid feel.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

The SS was a great car for its' time and is no comparison to the technology and high revving performance of the Marauder. The SS wasn't a vehicle Chevy "held back" from it's promoted state (a la Trilogy or 5.4). But in my not so humble opinion, they are apples and oranges. I would sooner compare the ford lightning truck to the SS as they are closer in displacement and year built. i would compare the marauder with the 2003 chevy impala which was a v-6 joke. They're just not compatible comparisons...the author is just trying to get views...
    2003 300A
    Widened Rear Wheels with 295 45 Nitto G2's
    Eaton Swapped by Curless
    Brake Upgrade
    Mo's Tune
    JLT Intake
    Addco Sway Bars
    ADTR Coil Over Suspension
    Metco Control Arms & Watts Link
    SW Headers and Exhaust
    Accessories By FastBlackMerc
    4.10 Gears
    Aeroforce Gauges
    Pantherlights Headlamps

I own them both, each one had their own attributes.... We all need to remember that without the Impala, Steve Babcock would have never built the Marauder (his own words)... That being said, the Impala has great low end torque (not so much top end), good looks, a beyond proven bullet proof drivetrain (not many Marauders make it beyond 100k without a major repair) and the brakes on the Impala are sweet right out of the box.... but, interior is no bueno, the stereo is garbage, and they made thousands of them.... Marauder is leaps and bounds better in fit/finish, top end charge is crazy when laying into it, interior is very well rounded, nice stereo... low end grunt...not... brakes??? Yikes.... and engine maintenance is costly.... I wouldn't change either one of em!!! I love them both for what they are and what they mean to the automotive world. I can't wait to add a 300SRT8 to my collection of Big Black Beautiful, RWD, American Made Monsters!
    #2941 300A
    4.10's, carbon clutches
    Marty O Tune
    Curless Cure
    Widened Wheels
    Dead Pedal
    Eaton Swapped

Bar tender and maker of:
    Christmas in a cup
    The "Bucket of South Haven Iced Tea"
    One Legged Lesbian Kickboxer
    Cocka Two

Quote Originally Posted by Curless View Post
    I own them both, each one had their own attributes.... We all need to remember that without the Impala, Steve Babcock would have never built the Marauder (his own words)... That being said, the Impala has great low end torque (not so much top end), good looks, a beyond proven bullet proof drivetrain (not many Marauders make it beyond 100k without a major repair) and the brakes on the Impala are sweet right out of the box.... but, interior is no bueno, the stereo is garbage, and they made thousands of them.... Marauder is leaps and bounds better in fit/finish, top end charge is crazy when laying into it, interior is very well rounded, nice stereo... low end grunt...not... brakes??? Yikes.... and engine maintenance is costly.... I wouldn't change either one of em!!! I love them both for what they are and what they mean to the automotive world. I can't wait to add a 300SRT8 to my collection of Big Black Beautiful, RWD, American Made Monsters!
    ---------^^^ This ^^^------------

Enjoy them for what they are. I own both, they each have pros & cons. Most of the cons can be fixed with mods & aftermarket.

The only thing I will say is the Marauder build quality is hands down much superior (even with the bad paint).

WLB
    BB#1) 1996 ImpalaSS - 16,500 miles - 100% stock
    ______________________________ ___________

BB#2) 2003 Marauder (300a) - 34k miles - Daily Driver
    #2912 of 7093
    Conceived 8/6/2002
    Delivered 9/19/2002
    Adopted 8/10/2011
    Trilogy 242 - Self Installed 9/9/12 (0-60 5.5 sec)
    Pioneer 6x8 Front
    Legacy 600w 6x9 Rears
    JL 6.5 SubWoofer
    K&N CAI
    Window tint 50% rear/35% front
    FBM CHMSL with Strobe mod 7/1/12
    DR Deep Aluminum Trans Pan
    Sparta FOMOCO Racing 8.8 Girdle
    Mo's Dyno Tune
    Gorilla Nuts - The System
    Ford Racing 4.10s, 31 spline Cobra carrier & axles 7/1/12
    Powder Coat Axle Housing 7/1/12