Thread: 03 Marauder head cooling mod

03 Marauder head cooling mod

Hello All,

I think I've looked in enough places for this to be worth asking: has anyone done a write up on the head cooling mod for the early runs of the 4V engine? I've heard from a couple places that not enough coolant gets to the back of the head, how do you remedy this?

While we're on the subject, what was the OEM thermostat setting, and how cold can you safely go?

Thanks,
    Daniel

To fix the head cooling issue, buy and install a rear head cooling mod. I'd do it on all 4V module engines. Search the internet as there are a number of kits out there and videos detailing the installation.

One thing though, if the damage has already been done, installing the cooling mod won't fix anything.

I believe the stock thermostat was 188 or 190. I'm running a Reisch Performance 170 (https://reischeperformance.com/F4Ddata.html) with a MartyO tune optimized for the thermostat. Installing a lower temperature thermostat without an optimized tune buys you nothing.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

You have to adjust when fan comes on if changing stock stat. It is pcm controlled. Stock was 195 I'm pretty sure. Changing stat alone won't help you. Must be tuned for new stat
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Thanks for the info. At 183k miles, I'm sure whatever damage could happen has happened, but I'll be doing a rebuild at some point and wanted to make sure it goes together right.

I'll get in touch with Marty, seems like an SCT is in my near future.

Marty will get you set up!
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

I also noticed that burping the cooling system is easier with the rear cooling mod installed.
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Put mine on at 100k, some said it was too late, I'm at 200k now. No worries whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Has anyone have a step-by-step instructions on installing the head cooling mod? The previous owner of my MM did it, but I don't think it was done properly. I am going to re-do it in the next month when it's warmer and I want to do it the best method possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambitious1 View Post
    Has anyone have a step-by-step instructions on installing the head cooling mod? The previous owner of my MM did it, but I don't think it was done properly. I am going to re-do it in the next month when it's warmer and I want to do it the best method possible.
    If your just going to redo it, instructions depend on the type of mod.

If your going to install a new mod, a google search shows 150K results.
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

Is there any one kit that is more suited for a 100% stock car? My engine is out and I want to do this mod before it goes back in. I see the kits that go between the rear of the head and firewall, at the rear of the intake, different hose configurations etc...

Me too -- "Is there any one kit that is more suited for a 100% stock car? "???
    1957 Custom 2 dr Sedan, 1979 F-series 14' U-Haul 330 XD, 1979 F150 4X4 428 PI/CJ heads/NP 435/4:11 axles-rear Det. Lkr., 1993 Grand Marquis, Y2K CVPI supercharged 5.4, 2003 MM

The more I learn, the more I find out I don't know.

Confusion will be my epitaph...

Home of the Berserker Marauder, one of the ancient Norse warriors legendary for working themselves into a frenzy before a battle and fighting with reckless savagery and insane fury, held to be invulnerable...shirtless regardless of wounds...(possibly due to ingestion of psychotropic and hallucinatory drugs such as Fly Agaric Mushrooms)...

ΓρεεκΓοδ

Quote Originally Posted by GreekGod View Post
    Me too -- "Is there any one kit that is more suited for a 100% stock car? "???
    I have an original DR rear head cooling mod.
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

Thread Information