Thread: My cat won't get ready for smog test after 273 miles

Blog Entries

My cat won't get ready for smog test after 273 miles

So I have been trying to get my car smog fed for last couple months. I replaced the fuel pump sending unit, fuel injectors on passenger side(have other side just haven't done them yet) replaced all 4 O2 sensors, new plugs new coils
    so I have been fighting this lean bank 2 code......I used to get a check engine light after driving for about 30-40 miles. So now I have been driving for last 2 days and 273 miles.....no check engine light, but the cat says it isn't ready yet....and I have a pending Evan leak code. Going to pressure test it Monday but has anyone else had this problem. Or what else could be the cause of lean bank 2..... We smoke tested it a couple weeks ago but didn't see any vacuum leaks.
    i still need to swap the valve cover gaskets because I know my plugs and coils are oily....and I'll probably do the drivers side injectors tomorrow

My cat won't get ready for smog test after 273 miles

You have certainly thrown enough parts at it but have you ever compression tested it?

Bank 2 is the driver side but you changed out the passenger side injectors and haven’t done the failing bank yet? Plus oil on the COPS could easily cause a misfire and misfire monitors are nearly impossible to trip on these engines.

Also a simple bad O ring on an injector doesn’t usually show up in a smoke test nor leak fuel. They are however known to suck in unmetered air.

I would stop doing anything to it until I compression tested it first. Especially cylinder 7&8 as they are well documented to have valves burn up due to no coolant passages between them.

As for the EVAP, that monitor doesn’t need to complete to pass.

Follow the Ford drive cycle to complete all monitor tests. It is easily found online. Your driving habits and the roads you use may never complete all tests.

Edit: Not sure on the evap with you being in Cali. All other states follow EPA guidelines and the EVAP monitor is allowed a pass. Check with your state laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by justbob; 05-17-2020 at 10:01 AM.
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Check foe exhaust leak on the driver side also, if you haven't.
    ~Chris

Thread Information