Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mustang S550 IRS

Can you show more of the sway bar and mounts where they would be hitting the trunk pan? Love the build man, dont forget to upgrade the axle shafts!
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

Tell me more about the shafts? This is from a 2018 PP1 which has the upgraded pinion flange. I thought they also changed the axles but i haven't done much research on it. I do know the hubs fail if the axle nut is not properly torqued and the nuts have a tendency to either be loose or back off from the factory.

Talking more about the sway bar. You can see in the previous picture that the bar hits the Marauder frame rail. I had to disconnect the end links and lower the ends to get everything in position. Based on my rough measurements, the trunk pan is at an 85 deg angle forward relative to a level middle frame rail. The picture below shows that trunk pan is somewhere between 32-32.5 forward of the rear edge of the frame rail. Based on that, if you can visualize in the picture below it, The rear edge of the bar is right at 32.5 inches, so the rear 1" of the bar bracket is into the trunk pan. You also notice in the previous picture that the bar is right at the bottom edge of the frame rail. That means the entire bar bracket and the rear cradle mount is in the gas tank. Not a huge problem if you want to put a fuel cell in the trunk, but I don't like fuel in the car and want to keep the stock fuel fill.

Down shot showing the location of the bar and cradle mount. 32.5 from the rear frame end is right at the rear edge of the bar.

ETA- I just remembered that I chalked the frame for the trunk pan when I removed it. You can see the chalk line on the left side of the frame in this picture. That is the front edge of the trunk pan but unfortunately the cradle is not in position in that picture.

Last edited by boom boom; 05-21-2020 at 08:15 PM.

On another note, does anyone have an S550 and can take a measurement for me? It would save me a trip to the dealer. When I measure the lower shock mount relative to the rear cradle mount it appears they are different from side to side. I am wondering if this is done intentionally by Ford or possibly misalignment from removal or transport.

I would like to verify the distance from rear cradle bolt to upper shock mount for each side of the car. That should eliminate any alignment concerns. Thanks in advance if someone can help!

Final setup dimension. My factory shop manual shows the wheel center at 355mm/14.2" from the frame alignment hole between the upper and lower four link mounts. I think they used bad math because 355= 13.97". I used 14". That corresponds to somewhere around 46.5" from the rear edge of the frame.

Well, we've reached that time.....hold my beer.

Pay no attention to the kids' artwork all over everything. I was using a sharpie until they decided the frame needed to be "drawed" on. I want to be more accurate anyway so I'll switch to dykem and a scratch. The spring tower has to go. I left the body mounts in place on the hump so that they can be located later. It turns out that the front and rear cradle mounts are almost exactly 4" apart vertically. Looks like 2x4 .120 wall tube is going to fit the bill. Haven't decided if I am going to move the factory rail in or just build a new one. Probably 95% on new frame section but I don't want to replicate the rails and body mounts rear of the axle. Don't worry justbob, I'll try my hardest not be your third *****y backhalf.

Here's the front crossmember location and the locating tab for the cradle. This also gives a good look at the solid aluminum cradle bushing. The bushing top is at exactly the same elevation as the shank of the pinion flange.

Last edited by boom boom; 05-24-2020 at 07:51 AM.

The big cut- I took 6" out and left the #5 body mount in place for later.

And the new crossmember in place.

Last edited by boom boom; 05-24-2020 at 07:56 AM.

Looks great
    • 82 GT coyote swap started
    • 03 300a Marauder, stroked,cammed,T/S Trilogy Supercharged # 216,Best Et 10.77@129.72 on slicks, 93 pump gas. driven to the track.
    • 2011 GT 500, 3.4 whipple,93 pump gas,10.47@133,Driven to the track.
    • 2003 azura blue Mach 1, cobra motor,2.9 Whipple,crusher inlet,built 4r70w trans,04 IRS rear.full weight street car, Corn Fed

Simply awesome!
    '03 Marauder | '91 Country Squire | '18 Flex Ecoboost | '92 Shadow VT1100
    former Panthers: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '04 CVLX, '03 SAP P71, '10 P7B
    CLICK HERE and have your Marauder's COA info added to the database!!! | 2003 list ||| 2004 list
    Quote Originally Posted by offroadkarter View Post
    Reinhart's tuning skills were comparable to an ape slapping the keyboard in microsoft excel.

Thanks guys. I have decided that this is going to get an intermediate frame because it doesn't seem worth it to fight the rails at axle hump. I mocked up a frame section to match the mustang and it just feels and looks right. Here's some progress on the new rails. I think the shock and the #5 body mount can share the same bracket.

So I got into it and forgot to take a few pictures, but here is some progress. This thing might actually work. I'm sticking with the idea of the horizontal tank over top of the axle(still need to track down a fuel hat-termiantor or otherwise), so I had to figure out a rear crossmeber that gave me the most clearance and also could work as a mount for the sway bar. You'll notice that the sway bar brackets have been cut away, that was necessary for the rear crossmember which it tilted forward at somewhere around 85 degrees relative to the level frame. The rear crossember should be about 1/4-1/2" forward of the trunk pan. It is mocked up but not in final position and doesn't have bracing yet.

The shock is mocked up in these pictures but it's over compressed. In this position it is about 3 inches droop and 1 inch bump. Actually, based on my observations, the rear shocks start to compress the bumpstops at 1" before final stop and the shock has around 4 inches of travel. 2 inches droop, 1 inch free bump and 1 inch compressing bump before stop. I plan to make adjuastable upper mounts but based on all of that, the shock mount will need to be slightly above #5 body mount shown in the pictures.

Building the shock towers. I matched the upper mount bolt pattern to the mustang. Built the tower, positioned it, and then marked it and drilled for the body mount. They will be the attached to the frame later. You can see the upper spring perch in the last picture. I snagged a pair out of the junkyard. I am still undecided on the air spring setup. I want to maintain he factory air ride so I am working on a couple ideas. I did make sure to build the spring perches strong enough for coilovers if I ever want to try something different.

Did this ever get finished?

I was going to address the weight difference as well. I am curious about the difference in unsprung weight. This new heft is rearward and lower which should have handling benefits. Definitely cannot wait to see how this progresses. Hats off to you sir.
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

Your project is looking good. I too would like nothing more to have a independent rear suspension set up. Keep the build coming.
    2004 marauder black purchased new. Sold 9/16 at 297,000 miles. Still ran strong didn't burn a drop of oil.
    2003 marauder black 28,000 miles all stock. Garage Queen.
    2004 marauder red daily driver.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information