Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front Strut/Coil

Front Strut/Coil

Does anyone have a video or instructions on replacing the front strut/coil assemblies?

Quote Originally Posted by crouse View Post
    Does anyone have a video or instructions on replacing the front strut/coil assemblies?
    Plenty of youtube videos like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYjGIA9uvpU
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

That's a good video. I think I can do this.

I'm going to order the Monroe #271346 from Rock Auto for $91.79 each. I'll also replace the rear shocks with Monroe #5993 for $27.89 each.

Thank you.

The easier way to do it without taking the spindle off is to remove the upper control arm to crossmember bolts. You still need to remove the rotor to disconnect the swaybar and disconnect the abs sensor plug and clips, but the upper control arm spins out of the way.
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (Sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (Sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox

Thanks for the tip. I noticed this guy had the car on jack stands then used a jack to support the bottom of the spring coil, then lowered the jack slowly/carefully once all of the bolts were removed.

Let the suspension hang free when you unbolt the lower shock bolt, you could knock out it with no fear of the coil spring unloading since the spring is held in the strut assembly. Whatever you do, DO NOT remove the center nut at the strut hat, only the three smaller nuts that hold it to the crossmember.
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (Sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (Sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox

If you need to take the strut apart only do so if you have the proper equipment, if you don't take to a shop that does.

I purchased the entire strut assembly, so there is no reason to mess with removing the spring.

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/e-catalog/271346

I purchased the entire strut assembly, so there is no reason to mess with removing the spring.

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/e-catalog/271346

you might notice a change in ride height or handling, that assembly is more aimed at civilian spec crown vics and grand marqs

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

I got the front strut/coil assemblies and rear shocks changed. I don't notice and difference in ride height. Haven't driven it enough to determine if there is any differences in handling. There are not that many choices for front strut/coil assemblies for our cars. I did notice some bouncing with my old struts, so that's why I decided to replace them.

I removed the caliper, caliper bracket, upper control arm nut, loosened the upper control arm nuts at the cross member and the upper sway bar link. I was able to get enough clearance by pushing down on the lower control arm to get the old strut out.

I found a before picture and now it looks like it sits about 2" taller. Now I don't know what to do. I wish I would have known this before I purchased and installed them.

crouse - I found a before picture and now it looks like it sits about 2" taller. Now I don't know what to do. I wish I would have known this before I purchased and installed them.
    The reason I just had the strut/shock-absorber changed and (re)used the spring.

So what determines the ride height? Or what's different between the OEM strut/coil and the Monroe coil/strut I bought?

Quote Originally Posted by gdmjoe View Post
    The reason I just had the strut/shock-absorber changed and (re)used the spring.
    Same. Previously cut spring too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

So what determines the ride height? Or what's different between the OEM strut/coil and the Monroe coil/strut I bought?

the coil spring is the main factor in ride height. As per Ford, if you look at a civilian base suspension crown vic or grand marquis (we're excluding HPP here), a P71 police car sits 1" higher than "stock" while a Marauder sits 1" lower than "stock". Putting in a pre-assembled coilover over meant for a civilian crown vic or grand marquis will undoubtedly raise the ride height up front.

If you want to do this the correct way, I'd return that seutp saying "wrong fit for my application" and buy the Marauder spec shocks from Ford.

Shock Absorber - Ford (7W3Z-18124-J)

If that isn't an option, you're going to have to put your stock coils on those Monroe shocks you bought, that would return your ride height to normal.

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information