Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Differential Clutches

I agree about the friction modifier also... 75/140 & 1 bottle of friction modifier otherwise it will chatter.

Mobil 1 with no modifier WILL chatter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post

I had same experience with Mobil 1 even though its supposed to not need FM.

I changed to Royal Purple = quiet as a church mouse with no added FM.

WLB
    BB#1) 1996 ImpalaSS - 16,500 miles - 100% stock
    ______________________________ ___________

BB#2) 2003 Marauder (300a) - 34k miles - Daily Driver
    #2912 of 7093
    Conceived 8/6/2002
    Delivered 9/19/2002
    Adopted 8/10/2011
    Trilogy 242 - Self Installed 9/9/12 (0-60 5.5 sec)
    Pioneer 6x8 Front
    Legacy 600w 6x9 Rears
    JL 6.5 SubWoofer
    K&N CAI
    Window tint 50% rear/35% front
    FBM CHMSL with Strobe mod 7/1/12
    DR Deep Aluminum Trans Pan
    Sparta FOMOCO Racing 8.8 Girdle
    Mo's Dyno Tune
    Gorilla Nuts - The System
    Ford Racing 4.10s, 31 spline Cobra carrier & axles 7/1/12
    Powder Coat Axle Housing 7/1/12
    CME HP Rear Control Arms & Watts Link 7/1/12
    ______________________________ ________________

Rex "SC Cheesehead" Weinbender 11-14-13
    Ed "Baaad GN" Linthicum 8-6-2014

Quote Originally Posted by MyBlackBeasts View Post
    I had same experience with Mobil 1 even though its supposed to not need FM.

I changed to Royal Purple = quiet as a church mouse with no added FM.
    We put the Mobil1 in Joe’s and didn’t make it one block without horrible chatter. Next stop was Advance for modifier!

SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    Red Line with no modifier same experience 2 cars even though it claims you don't need

I used 75W140 Mobil 1 after soaking the new clutches in friction modifier for 3 days and it still chattered like a mofo. Good thing I have the Ford racing diff cover, was easy to add the modifier afterwards without making a mess.
    2004 Silver Birch w/moonroof. "Isabelle"

Eaton swapped summer/fall 2015 with all the gooddies, tune by the one-and-only Marty-O +2psi pulley, Steigemeyer stage 6 port, SWLT, custom ss exhaust, Borla ProXS, Addco sway bars, TCE s/s brake hoses, Hawk HPS pads, Zack big brak kit, J-mod, battery in trunk, full custom audio (never used, blower whine sounds better)

To do list:
    HID headlights, LED interior/exterior, courtesy "3-flash" turn signals, widen wheels, rear deck wing, marauder stencil on cmhsl? bumper cover inserts? deck lid, steering whee, hood liner godshead, more power!

No noise with over 90K miles with 75W140 Mobile 1 and no friction modifier.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

The Eaton tru track says no friction modifier needed. We definitely used modifier. Just the sweet hum of the Eaton working properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dropped my Marauder off at a local shop and said I was fairly sure the pinion bearing was bad and to have them replace the differential clutches while they had the rear end apart. They called me and said the growling noise from the rear end was a bad left front wheel bearing. The noise changes under acceleration and deceleration. I would think if it was a bad left front wheel bearing, the noise would get worse when turning right which is doesn't. Anyone else seen something like this?

Quote Originally Posted by crouse View Post
    I dropped my Marauder off at a local shop and said I was fairly sure the pinion bearing was bad and to have them replace the differential clutches while they had the rear end apart. They called me and said the growling noise from the rear end was a bad left front wheel bearing. The noise changes under acceleration and deceleration. I would think if it was a bad left front wheel bearing, the noise would get worse when turning right which is doesn't. Anyone else seen something like this?
    Usually we can get the noise to change on a front wheel bearing if we swerve from right to left... usually... not always though. Hey, If the shop was honest enough to tell you this instead of just charging you for a rear diff I'd say they can be trusted!
    #2941 300A
    4.10's, carbon clutches
    Marty O Tune
    Curless Cure
    Widened Wheels
    Dead Pedal
    Eaton Swapped

Bar tender and maker of:
    Christmas in a cup
    The "Bucket of South Haven Iced Tea"
    One Legged Lesbian Kickboxer
    Cocka Two

Quote Originally Posted by Curless View Post
    Usually we can get the noise to change on a front wheel bearing if we swerve from right to left... usually... not always though. Hey, If the shop was honest enough to tell you this instead of just charging you for a rear diff I'd say they can be trusted!
    If the repair actually fixes the problem.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

The shop just called and want me to come and take a look at the rear end. I'm guessing they now don't think the growling sound is the left front wheel hub. I'm heading there during my lunch hour today. If it needs a total rebuild and is really expensive, does anyone have any less expensive options? Maybe an entire rear end that I can install myself. If I buy a new carrier, I'll still need the gears set which I can't do. Anyone have a used carrier and axles for sale? I have new carbon fiber clutches.

Spider gears are shot. The S spring is shot. Ring and pinion are ok. Axles are border line. For a quick inexpensive fix, does anyone sell 28 spline spider gears and S spring. It's up on the hoist and the shop and I need to get these parts quick. If not, I believe it means a new 31 spline carrier and 31 spline axles? What else would I need? Any help would be appreciated.

I found this, but $200 is a lot of money.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-4215A/86-04...ction-Lok-Will

Quote Originally Posted by crouse View Post
    I found this, but $200 is a lot of money.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-4215A/86-04...ction-Lok-Will
    Those are incorrect the Marauder had it's own spider gears that have been long out of production.Still have the 56k mile unit out of my 04 can mail it ASAP.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information