Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subwoofer box for attic

Question Subwoofer box for attic

Does anyone have a sub box in the attic space of the trunk? If so what size subs and box fits snug with the spare tire and stock sub removed? A quick measurement seems like 12" H x 32" W x 16" D should be about right? So Id assume either three 8s (1.3 cubes each / or two 8s ported), two 10s or 12s sealed in 1.7 cubes each. I assumed not enough volume to port it properly for any decent larger sub. Two 15s would be a stretch.

I know from experience our cars dont like rear firing subs so I assumed a box that fit snug in the attic firing up would be the most efficient and least obtrusive.

Ive already swapped out my stock sub for a JL w3 and at first it seemed ok but now that I have a dedicated midrange it leaves a LOT to be desired.

Full setup is a cheap pioneer deck, cheap JBL 6.5 components up front in the doors on a cheap pioneer 400w amp and a cheap self powered rockville 12" sub on dedicated midrange duty under the drivers seat. The 6.5" JL sub is not even audible now. Literally turning it on and off makes no audible difference.
    '03 Marauder 300A / Forged 11:1 Eaton @ 17 lbs - 87 Octane
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning

I have a single 8 in a carpeted box fired off a aftermarket amp in my silver car. It does ok.
    a buddy of mine has 3 8s across but had to cut the spare tire tab off the upper deck.
    I believe my box is a eBay special 4th order, it’s been a few years since I bought it.
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

are both of yall firing up in to the rear deck ?

do you know the dimensions of both boxes? Im assuming his has to be larger?
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning

I have 3 10" fi subs in that space. I should have gone with only 2 for more port area but its doing very well. Box was custom built to specs. I will get pics later on.
    I will eventually have another box done for only 2 10s.

Yeah I was thinking 2x 10s sealed would be most ideal. Should be plenty for me I hope. Im going to see if I can find an all in one sub box and amp combo to make life easier.
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning

I'm currently planning on 2-12's in a sealed configuration (after a long visit with the paint and body fairy) they are Stereo integrity SQL-12's. There is a ton of room on that package shelf. I ran 2 JL audio 10w7's in my first marauder. They were sealed and fired down. From what i understand our vehicles are a bass tomb, but with proper technique we can achieve good results.
    2003 300A
    Widened Rear Wheels with 295 45 Nitto G2's
    Eaton Swapped by Curless
    Brake Upgrade
    Mo's Tune
    JLT Intake
    Addco Sway Bars
    ADTR Coil Over Suspension
    Metco Control Arms & Watts Link
    SW Headers and Exhaust
    Accessories By FastBlackMerc
    4.10 Gears
    Aeroforce Gauges
    Pantherlights Headlamps

8 years ago I bought a 12" sub to build a box for and put in that space. The sub will not fit facing forward or backward at a 90* angle because even though the sub is 12", the box will add another 1-2 inches, depending on how thick the pieces are. I had to build my box so the sub would face up straight into the rear deck. Thought it sounded ok until I found out by accident when I went WOT one day and the box slid off the deck and into the trunk; the sub immediately sounded WAY better (more boomier) facing into the spacious trunk area instead of straight up into the rear deck or facing forward. About 2 years ago the amp I had running the sub crapped out on me; at that time I was wanting to replace the sub (and my stock radio) with a smaller one that I could build a box for and fit in that space and fire it towards the rear, so I went ahead and bought a Kicker Solobaric 8" sub and was going to see how much it would cost to have my amp repaired, if possible, since it would be powerful enough handle the new sub. I also bought a new aftermarket stereo as well. I knew it would be several months before I could take the time to set up/install my new 'system', so I bought a cheap $100 amp from Wal-Mart to run the old sub until then.

Before I could get around to doing that my father got ill and passed away shortly after, so I haven't done squat. So now I have a brand new Kicker Solobaric 8" sub and a new aftermarket head unit that's been sitting in their boxes for close to 2 years now...lol. Maybe I'll finally get around to taking care of this project this fall.

TL;DR - 12" subs may not work...they didn't for me and I plan on using an 8" Kicker Solobaric.

20190914_102440.jpg20190914_102442.jpg
    Dont mind the mess. This is an old pic. I did replace the battery with a northstar and what a difference. Like I said, I am planning on redoing the box with maybe only 2 10's.
    This box was built to specs for 3 IDQ10's. I had these FI's laying around so I figure id give them a try. Laziness kicked in and just left the FI's in. I should actually sell them IDQ10s. They just sitting here chilling looking all nice
    Last edited by crownvic05; 07-21-2020 at 05:39 AM.

I have I single 10” cheap Kicker facing the rear in a box I made years ago. I just measured the vertical height and made it the exact same height. Then when I carpeted it I had to literally wedge it into place. It never ever shifts around no matter how hard I punch it. It’s even been on an autoX track and didn’t budge.

The bass is super crisp and vibrates the entire car so listening to something like AC/DC Thunderstruck will surely give you a realistic feel of an actual severe storm surrounding you. I’d like to add some nice tweeters some day to increase the highs but it’s pretty damn good the way it sits.

As for amps, both of mine were given to me from a girl I’ve known since high school who’s boyfriend of the mid 90’s was a huge bass head and outfitted her car. Dealership made her strip it all out at trade in. So old ass tech that’s still performing perfect! Nothing huge either. If I recall both amps are Kenwood, speaker one is around 500, and the sub one is only 300 or 350amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

The 12 can face up or down and load off of the trunk floor. Having the speakers facing the back of the vehicle isn't the only way this will work. Win ISD really helps when modeling proper boxes for our trunks. There's about a half dozen ways to skin this cat (well that's gross and interesting at the same time!). Enjoy the ride!
    2003 300A
    Eaton Swapped by Curless
    Brake Upgrade
    Mo's Tune
    JLT Intake
    Addco Sway Bars
    SW Headers and Exhaust
    4.10 Gears
    Aeroforce Gauges
    Pantherlights Headlamps

Quote Originally Posted by Peace2Peep View Post
    The 12 can face up or down and load off of the trunk floor. Having the speakers facing the back of the vehicle isn't the only way this will work. Win ISD really helps when modeling proper boxes for our trunks. There's about a half dozen ways to skin this cat (well that's gross and interesting at the same time!). Enjoy the ride!
    I believe OP wants to fit a subwoofer box on the 'shelf' where the spare tire is kept and the stock subwoofer/amp enclosure hangs down from the rear deck and not in the actual trunk area of the car. Facing a sub up or down on this shelf will kill the sound...

Quote Originally Posted by SilverPhoenix View Post
    I believe OP wants to fit a subwoofer box on the 'shelf' where the spare tire is kept and the stock subwoofer/amp enclosure hangs down from the rear deck and not in the actual trunk area of the car. Facing a sub up or down on this shelf will kill the sound...
    I AM talking about the package shelf. Bass is secondarily loaded from the surrounding areas of the box. The dimensions of the box and multiple dimensions of the speaker itself dictates gain/loss and loading potential. For instance, where would your port face in a ported enclosure? Of course, it would ideally point into the cabin of the vehicle like the factory subwoofer demonstrates. The factory subwoofer does not face the back of the car from the shelf, it faces vertically. The factory sub is small but actually packs a punch for its' diminutive size and amp power. The box design as I previously mentioned is the major contributing factor.

To your earlier experience, I'm willing to wager you did not utilize modeling platforms such as WinISD to help you play with gain/loss and the airspace available to you. I can promise if you had a larger sub box on that platform facing up or down with a 12" driver and the proper amount of power, you would have achieved the desired result with the speaker. I have tested 5-6 subs in my two Marauders and I can tell you from experience, it works. For the sake of argument, YES there would be more bass (perceived) when the back of your trunk is shaking, but that is mostly resonance, not bass. There would be more resonance and cabin gain if the subs were in the main area of the trunk in a gigantic box, but that's not the discussion. Regardless, there's no way for two tens to outperform two twelves with all calculable metrics being optimized, regardless of the direction the speakers face.

Tested:

Eclipse Titanium 12"
    JL Audio 10w7
    Kicker Q class square 12"
    Rockford Power T1 10"
    Stereo integrity SQL-12
    Image Dynamics 10/12"

I like the smooth response of the Stereo integrity and so that's what I'm going with for my final install. I should come through N.C. sometime this Fall for some fun events, I'd love to meet up and I'll play it for you. It's pretty cool.
    Last edited by Peace2Peep; 07-21-2020 at 11:48 PM.
    2003 300A
    Eaton Swapped by Curless
    Brake Upgrade
    Mo's Tune
    JLT Intake
    Addco Sway Bars
    SW Headers and Exhaust
    4.10 Gears
    Aeroforce Gauges
    Pantherlights Headlamps

Quote Originally Posted by Peace2Peep View Post
    I AM talking about the package shelf. Bass is secondarily loaded from the surrounding areas of the box. The dimensions of the box and multiple dimensions of the speaker itself dictates gain/loss and loading potential. For instance, where would your port face in a ported enclosure? Of course, it would ideally point into the cabin of the vehicle like the factory subwoofer demonstrates. The factory subwoofer does not face the back of the car from the shelf, it faces vertically. The factory sub is small but actually packs a punch for its' diminutive size and amp power. The box design as I previously mentioned is the major contributing factor.

To your earlier experience, I'm willing to wager you did not utilize modeling platforms such as WinISD to help you play with gain/loss and the airspace available to you. I can promise if you had a larger sub box on that platform facing up or down with a 12" driver and the proper amount of power, you would have achieved the desired result with the speaker. I have tested 5-6 subs in my two Marauders and I can tell you from experience, it works. For the sake of argument, YES there would be more bass (perceived) when the back of your trunk is shaking, but that is mostly resonance, not bass. There would be more resonance and cabin gain if the subs were in the main area of the trunk in a gigantic box, but that's not the discussion. Regardless, there's no way for two tens to outperform two twelves with all calculable metrics being optimized, regardless of the direction the speakers face.

Tested:

Eclipse Titanium 12"
    JL Audio 10w7
    Kicker Q class square 12"
    Rockford Power T1 10"
    Stereo integrity SQL-12
    Image Dynamics 10/12"

I like the smooth response of the Stereo integrity and so that's what I'm going with for my final install. I should come through N.C. sometime this Fall for some fun events, I'd love to meet up and I'll play it for you. It's pretty cool.
    Ok...glad you felt the need to post all of this. The reason why my sub didn't sound good is because it was a sealed enclosure and not ported and was firing directly up into the rear deck; put any sub in that way and it will sound like crap. I've been a basshead since '87, so I do know just a wee bit about subs and how they work...

If you feel the need to give me a 'show and tell' by all means let me know when you'll be in my area...lol.

Please, Ohhhh Puh-leeeeez don't do what so many knuckleheads do.
    I hear them come down my street, usually when they are 100 yards away, thumping some distorted-to-$h*t crap a$$ music with subwoofers that are literally shaking the trunk lid and rear fenders so badly that it sounds like a rusty old Sanford & Son truck!
    Good gawd does it sound horrible.
    And the stone cold deaf Tard drivers think that they sound cool....SMH

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

Quote Originally Posted by SilverPhoenix View Post
    Ok...glad you felt the need to post all of this. The reason why my sub didn't sound good is because it was a sealed enclosure and not ported and was firing directly up into the rear deck; put any sub in that way and it will sound like crap. I've been a basshead since '87, so I do know just a wee bit about subs and how they work...

If you feel the need to give me a 'show and tell' by all means let me know when you'll be in my area...lol.
    Bro: why so upset? I simply disagree with your anecdote about bass response. I was responding to the original poster and you directed your comment at ME...thus a response to YOU. If your anecdote of a bass enclosure falling off the shelf is any indication of your abilities, you shouldn't speak with such certainty about your findings. Wisdom is being willing to admit "We (including and especially me) don't know EVERYTHING!" To try and intimate that being a basshead for 30 years is the same as full-time audio dynamics and system design knowledge is like eating a bunch of sandwiches and calling yourself a chef.
    Last edited by Peace2Peep; 07-25-2020 at 11:48 AM.
    2003 300A
    Eaton Swapped by Curless
    Brake Upgrade
    Mo's Tune
    JLT Intake
    Addco Sway Bars
    SW Headers and Exhaust
    4.10 Gears