Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Knock, Knock. Who's there.....

If I pull the rocker covers would I be able to see the tensioner to verify the problem?
    are these engines prone to the valves hitting the piston if the chain jumped a tooth?
    though I don't think it did it runs to smooth for that.
    2003 Silver Birch Marauder tune by Marty, best $150 I ever spent

The only thing you can see with the cam covers off are the secondary chains and secondary tensioners

Simple Google search, try it!
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

looks like from that picture that possible you could see a sliver view of the driver side tensioner but not the right one.
    at least I should be able to tell if it's a plastic or steal tensioner

Curious that this started after an oil change.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    03 Black MM: Trilogy #19, Build Date 04/02/03 #7113
    03 SB MM: Lidio Tune/JLT CAI DD Build Date 04/02/03 #7114

I bought the car a little over a year ago and it did not have a motorcraft filter on it when i bought it and I didn't put motorcraft filters for the last two oil changes, I did not know about this issue, so it's well over a year that it has had off brand filters on it. And when I bought it it did have an annoying tick but from what I have read that's normal for these engines.

there is silicone around the cover so the cover has been off before for some reason, maybe they put cheap parts on when they fixed last time.

I have started tearing it down but I'm slow so it will take me awhile to get it opened up, I have the water crossover and alternator off, next I'll get the rocker covers off tomorrow.

I see the a timing kit from Melling is about the same price as the Ford performance kit, I wonder which is better? both have steal tensioners, of course Melling probably makes the ford part also
    Last edited by seanpatrick2000; 08-01-2020 at 09:45 PM.

Buy ford parts. Zack here has a list of tensioners guides and gaskets. Those are $231.30 shipped from tasca. You can save time by lifting the cam covers and not removing them. Reuse the chains, might run 5w20 and 10w30 mix on the future oil changes
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

I don't know with 130k on those chains, I think it would be smart to buy new ones. those are long chains and I"m sure they stretch over time.
    Is there an issue with removing the cam covers? I have read in a mustang chassis the clutch/brake masters has to be removed is that a problem on the marauder?

Ok I'm reading the right side cam cover is a tight fit. I wonder if taking the plenum off would give enough clearance to remove it completely.
    Last edited by seanpatrick2000; 08-02-2020 at 02:01 PM.

Remove passenger engine mount 18mm nut located straight up through the engine cradle, jack up the engine. The cover will come off with ease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

what about the driver side? that one also look tight

Im about ready to remove the timing cover, I had the left rocker cover off enough to see the tensioner it's plastic but looks in good shape the plastic tension pad also looks fine, I'm hoping the problem is on the right side, just got the rocker cover loose but can't lift it high enough to see anything, Im going to pull the balancer and pw steering pump pully then remove the timing cover. I"m slow I know, does anybody know if I have to remove the crank position sensor before removing the cover or will it come off ok with it in place, I don't want to damage it I guess best to just remove it either way. does anyone know of a reasonably priced tool to lock the cams if I change the secondary chains?
    I may just leave them if they look good.

also I have a Steeda under drive pully set from my crown vic lx sport, will it fit the 2003 DOHC 4.6 if it's off a 2004 SOHC 4.6?

I removed the wiper motor trying to get the driver side cam cover off but it's still stuck, if I remove the upper plenum will it be free to come off or does the pw brake drum have to be moved?
    any tips or advice would be appreciated

Yes you have to remove crank sensor or you will probably break it. Sounds like same issue I had. Passenger side tensioner was bad. Smashed up the chain guides and the broken pieces ended up in oil pan which is also bad because smaller pieces usually find their way into pick up screen partially blocking oil to the pump. I’m the curious type so pulled engine to check the pickup screen for trash and yup, broken guide pieces in there.

I take it the pan can't be removed in the chassis??? did you have to remove the power brake booster to remove the engine?

Knock, Knock. Who's there.....

Quote Originally Posted by seanpatrick2000 View Post
    I take it the pan can't be removed in the chassis??? did you have to remove the power brake booster to remove the engine?
    Not unless you want to drop the K member.

And no, booster stays. Booster and hood installed, side exit with headers, blower, harness and all plucked out. Too easy on these cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

where is the best place to attach the lift chain, I have never pulled one of these before I guess they are not that heavy so I would assume any tapped holes
    on the heads would hold the thing. are these cars aluminum blocks or steal?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information