Thread: AGM Battery Upgrade

AGM Battery Upgrade

Anyone running an AGM battery? If so, what voltage do you have the alterntor charging at?

I'm highly considering an AC Delco AGM battery since my battery is getting weak and needs replaced anyway.
    '03 Marauder 300A / Forged 11:1 Eaton @ 17 lbs - 87 Octane
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning

Why put a General Motors battery in a Mercury/Ford?

Motorcraft or Deka
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

I use Optima only cause I get them free from work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motorcraft 850 is the best for Marauder I'd say. Upgrade alternator to 200Amp and You should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

While one of the links below says Grand Marquis, it fits the Marauder. They have several brands to choose from, but I like the Xpower ones, have them in my Expedition and Frontier P/U and they have been very reliable. Plus with the 5 year warranty is a plus. (They are not pro-rated, so if it dies on the day before the end of the 5 year warranty you get a brand new one at no charge)
    When it comes time to replace the Marauder battery, it will be the Xpower brand.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/

https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/car-and-truck/mercury/grand-marquis/2003/v8-4.6l-650cca-us
    300A
    Build Date 8/2002
    Procharger #23 upgraded to 16 lbs O'Boost
    Zack Motors E-85/93 engine build
    4149 of 7839
    34,500 miles
    4:10 Gears
    Detroit Tru-Trac
    P.I. Torque Converter
    Tuned by Tim Barth at Mr. Norms

Over the years I've found that unless you are drawing much more power than the car was designed for(big stereos etc.) the stock size battery is generally more than enough. Motorcraft 650cca was stock and held up for years more than the 1000cca Interstates I ran after. I went back to Motorcraft, bought a 750 because Ford sells them for the same price as the 650. I think the 850cca was 10-5 bucks more.

Quote Originally Posted by decipha View Post
    Anyone running an AGM battery?
    Yes, I have an autocraft AGM battery in my 03, can't remember if its 750CCA or 850CCA

If so, what voltage do you have the alterntor charging at?
    I never had any tune changes to alter what the regulator is doing from factory.

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

I have no objection to using gm parts on a ford if its a better or equivalent product. After all the 10 speed is a ford/ gm transmission so newer fords come stock with gm parts regardless.

I've had bad luck with optimas back in the day. All circumstantial but I'd just rather not.

The motorcraft is rated at a little less juice and is $65 more than the delco.
    The xpower is twice as expensive.
    Seems like If I could get the same oem quality at a fraction of the cost why not?

I am preparing to eventually put an electrical hungry sub amp in the car.

Yes I'll also be swapping in an oem replacement 200 amp alternator from the coyote mustangs in the process.

For those with the AGMs what do you have your cold charging and warm charging voltages set to?
    '03 Marauder 300A / Forged 11:1 Eaton @ 17 lbs - 87 Octane
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning

Hey Decipha,

I have done few high powered stereo systems in my vehicles, including this one. I never knew it was possible to switch up the charging parameters for the alternator/regulator...is that within the tune software? Wow...never considered it. I am running a PA Performance 220 amp alternator, and a Northstar Battery I jammed (literally) in the smaller space I've got because of my supercharger mods...

if I were to buy a factory sized battery and wanted the best AGM, I'd use Northstar (four year warranty non-pro rate battery) or maybe XS Power (three year non-pro rate warranty).

https://www.northstarbattery.com/product/nsb-agm65

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/x...odel/excursion

This is interesting! I wanna mess with my tune a bit more now...
    2003 300A
    Widened Rear Wheels with 295 45 Nitto G2's
    Eaton Swapped by Curless
    Brake Upgrade
    Mo's Tune
    JLT Intake
    Addco Sway Bars
    ADTR Coil Over Suspension
    Metco Control Arms & Watts Link
    SW Headers and Exhaust
    Accessories By FastBlackMerc
    4.10 Gears
    Aeroforce Gauges
    Pantherlights Headlamps

Quote Originally Posted by da'law View Post
    While one of the links below says Grand Marquis, it fits the Marauder. They have several brands to choose from, but I like the Xpower ones, have them in my Expedition and Frontier P/U and they have been very reliable. Plus with the 5 year warranty is a plus. (They are not pro-rated, so if it dies on the day before the end of the 5 year warranty you get a brand new one at no charge)
    When it comes time to replace the Marauder battery, it will be the Xpower brand.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/

https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter...4.6l-650cca-us

Dude!! That warranty made a brother DOUBLE TAKE! Nice!!! You're on to something there! 5 years for the win!
    2003 300A
    Widened Rear Wheels with 295 45 Nitto G2's
    Eaton Swapped by Curless
    Brake Upgrade
    Mo's Tune
    JLT Intake
    Addco Sway Bars
    ADTR Coil Over Suspension
    Metco Control Arms & Watts Link
    SW Headers and Exhaust
    Accessories By FastBlackMerc
    4.10 Gears
    Aeroforce Gauges
    Pantherlights Headlamps

I purchased my 2003 300A new and I just installed the third battery in it, a Motorcraft 850CCA that my local O’Reilly’s had in stock. (Evidently the Ford and Ram pickups use the same battery.) I’ve had such good service out of Motorcraft batteries that I’ll probably put some in my Ram when the time comes.

Blog Entries
    I have no objection to using gm parts on a ford if its a better or equivalent product. After all the 10 speed is a ford/ gm transmission so newer fords come stock with gm parts regardless.

I've had bad luck with optimas back in the day. All circumstantial but I'd just rather not.

The motorcraft is rated at a little less juice and is $65 more than the delco.
    The xpower is twice as expensive.
    Seems like If I could get the same oem quality at a fraction of the cost why not?

I am preparing to eventually put an electrical hungry sub amp in the car.

Yes I'll also be swapping in an oem replacement 200 amp alternator from the coyote mustangs in the process.

For those with the AGMs what do you have your cold charging and warm charging voltages set to?
    I just recently put a GM alternator which AC Delco oddly make brand new for the marauder. my theory is if i cant get ford oem at least im getting another manufactures oem rather then some aftermarket brand which im clueless about

2003 Black 300A #3545 DOB 8/14/2002

Steeda Underdrives
    BBK 65MM Throttle Body
    Transmission optimized to the nines by yours truly
    Marty Ochs Tunes
    Auburn LSD, FPP 3.73's
    Stainless Works Exhaust
    ADTR Henious Billet Arms
    ADTR Ridetech "Coilovers"
    Addco Sway Bar
    PS Z32 Brakes
    N a Whole lot more

Quote Originally Posted by NXSBOB View Post
    Why put a General Motors battery in a Mercury/Ford?
    AGM = Absorbed Glass Mat battery. It has nothing to do with General Motors, AGM batteries are among the best available.

Thread Information