Thread: Longer crank times

Longer crank times

I think it started this season. Engine cranks over a little bit longer before starting than it did in years past. I always move the key to run to allow the fuel lines to prime. I actually dont mind the longer times since it helps build up oil pressure prior to start, just worried that it could be a symptom of something worse to come, like a crank but no start condition.

What say ye?
    2004 Silver Birch w/moonroof. "Isabelle"

Eaton swapped summer/fall 2015 with all the gooddies, tune by the one-and-only Marty-O +2psi pulley, Steigemeyer stage 6 port, SWLT, custom ss exhaust, Borla ProXS, Addco sway bars, TCE s/s brake hoses, Hawk HPS pads, Zack big brak kit, J-mod, battery in trunk, full custom audio (never used, blower whine sounds better)

To do list:
    HID headlights, LED interior/exterior, courtesy "3-flash" turn signals, widen wheels, rear deck wing, marauder stencil on cmhsl? bumper cover inserts? deck lid, steering whee, hood liner godshead, more power!

My issues were intermittent on an older car that I had, but the check valve on the fuel pump had gone out. When it allowed the fuel to drain back to the tank I would have a long crank time. I would also get 0 PSI fuel pressure when the car was off before a long crank and good pressure with the car off before a normal crank I do not think waiting for the system to prime helped anything.

Another possibility would be the IAC valve. If it is getting sticky there could be a delay before it opens the correct amount to start. If this is the case cracking open the throttle as you start the car should make the problem go away. There are probably 100 other things, these are just the 2 I have experience with.
    2018 F-250 6.7L Crew Cab 4x4
    2013 Dodge Charge R/T Daily Driver/Beater - All original 208K miles and counting
    Sold - 04 Marauder, Silver, Dark Interior, Factory Sunroof.
    Z-Tune, JLT CAI, Z&M Control Arms, KYB Shocks, BC4E Dead Pedal, Pro Guard, Sparta Watts links, R1 Slotted Front Rotors, Braided SS Brake Lines, Automatic Traction Control "Turner-Offer".
    4.10 FRPP gears awaiting install (on extended hold).

My marauder too had extended crank time for a little while. My battery was on its way out and eventually died. New battery and typical marauder crank time now.

You can have your tuner kick up the fuel pump prime time if you suspect fuel pressure. On mine I actually reduced the prime time lowe than stock since it holds pressure over night.
    '03 Marauder 300A / Forged 11:1 Eaton @ 17 lbs - 87 Octane
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning

Ya know, I think its time I replace my IAC since its original. 97k on car. The suggestions here, plus a rough-ish idle at cold, plus its age seem to warrant it.
    Its also not that expensive.

Im just happy nobody's mentioned crank sensor yet.

Eaton swapped summer/fall 2015 with all the gooddies, tune by the one-and-only Marty-O +2psi pulley, Steigemeyer stage 6 port, SWLT, custom ss exhaust, Borla ProXS, Addco sway bars, TCE s/s brake hoses, Hawk HPS pads, Zack big brak kit, J-mod, battery in trunk, full custom audio (never used, blower whine sounds better)

To do list:
    HID headlights, LED interior/exterior, courtesy "3-flash" turn signals, widen wheels, rear deck wing, marauder stencil on cmhsl? bumper cover inserts? deck lid, steering whee, hood liner godshead, more power!

I had trouble getting a IAC that worked correctly for my Marauder. I forget which one finally worked but the first two gave me a crazy high idle. I think I finally went with a Motor-craft.
    2018 F-250 6.7L Crew Cab 4x4
    2013 Dodge Charge R/T Daily Driver/Beater - All original 208K miles and counting
    Sold - 04 Marauder, Silver, Dark Interior, Factory Sunroof.
    Z-Tune, JLT CAI, Z&M Control Arms, KYB Shocks, BC4E Dead Pedal, Pro Guard, Sparta Watts links, R1 Slotted Front Rotors, Braided SS Brake Lines, Automatic Traction Control "Turner-Offer".
    4.10 FRPP gears awaiting install (on extended hold).

the standard products iac's are junk. Get a motorcraft one.
    '03 Marauder 300A / Forged 11:1 Eaton @ 17 lbs - 87 Octane
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning

Quote Originally Posted by decipha View Post
    the standard products iac's are junk. Get a motorcraft one.
    +1 on this!
    2003 300A
    Widened Rear Wheels with 295 45 Nitto G2's
    Eaton Swapped by Curless
    Brake Upgrade
    Mo's Tune
    JLT Intake
    Addco Sway Bars
    ADTR Coil Over Suspension
    Metco Control Arms & Watts Link
    SW Headers and Exhaust
    Accessories By FastBlackMerc
    4.10 Gears
    Aeroforce Gauges
    Pantherlights Headlamps

I agree, stick with OEM on this one.

Ford PN 1S7Z-9F715-CA or Motorcraft CX1781 for the win!

Gasket Ford PN E83Z-9F670-A or Motrocraft CG758

To do list:

Just an update everyone:

I replaced the IAC motor and gasket with OEM parts and the problem is completely gone. Not only is it gone but my stumbling/rough idle on cold startup <60° is gone and the very, very slight hesitation I had when mashing the gas from a dead stop is gone as well. If you have a higher mileage 'Rauder, I recommend IAC replacement. Even if your car seems to be running fine, it might fix problems you didn't know you had.

To do list:

Blog Entries
    I should probably consider IAC replacement based off your suggestion.

2003 Black 300A #3545 DOB 8/14/2002

Steeda Underdrives
    BBK 65MM Throttle Body
    Transmission optimized to the nines by yours truly
    Marty Ochs Tunes
    Auburn LSD, FPP 3.73's
    Stainless Works Exhaust
    ADTR Henious Billet Arms
    ADTR Ridetech "Coilovers"
    Addco Sway Bar
    PS Z32 Brakes
    N a Whole lot more