Thread: Need some help with new-to-me boosted Marauder, slipping belt after new alt & belt

Need some help with new-to-me boosted Marauder, slipping belt after new alt & belt

I just purchased a 2004 Marauder with what I am pretty sure is the Vortech S/C kit for the 2003-2004 Mach 1 Mustang. The part #s seem to line up. This is my first S/C car since my '03 Cobra and first car ever with aftermarket mods to this extent. I road tripped it from CA to GA with no issues other than a weak alternator. On the advice of tons of threads on this forum I ordered a DB Electrical 160A alternator, 6G to match the belt in place.

Since I was going to be removing the alternator I decided to go ahead and do the serpentine belt and pulleys while I was at it. This is where things started getting a little odd. I was using the install guide for the S/C kit as a reference to order parts. Got all the parts, took the S/C bracket assembly and alternator off and noticed that some installed parts didn't match the Vortech parts list.

The belt Vortech calls for is a Gates 061115, 111 7/8" long. The belt on the car was a NAPA 25061099, 110.5" long. The composite Vortech-supplied flanged pulley was missing, and in it's place was a flat metal idler pulley of the same size (see diagram). The grooved "stock" idler pulley wasn't stock - it was 1" smaller in diameter (see diagram).

I replaced the tensioner pulley, all stock idler pulleys and the composite pulley that was included with the S/C kit with their direct replacements per the S/C kit parts guide...Gates all around except the composite Vortech pulley.

I replaced everything, reassembled with much cursing and started the car. Immediately the belt started squealing. Turned AC off, squealing stopped. AC on, squeal. Took it for a drive. Under light throttle no squeal, under heavy throttle with the S/C making boost, squeal. I also noticed pulling in the garage that the voltage meter was all over the place. While driving and stopped it seemed to hold a perfect 13.8 volts, but pulling up my driveway and into the garage it was bouncing up and down.

Any ideas? I am taking the car to a local speed shop who is familiar with Marauders next Friday, but I'd like to get this sorted before I take it in. I still have the old, smaller pulley, and can get a replacement smaller belt...I just find it odd that those parts weren't the same as called for in the Vortech kit.

New alternator:
    https://www.dbelectrical.com/product...2003-2004.html

Diagram of pulleys:
    Marauder pulleys.jpg

run a smaller belt

the previous owner should be able to answer any questions you have.

Anytime I sell a vehicle I include all part numbers, details, repair info and maintenance specific items on an included spreadsheet so this type of thing cant happen. Id recommend calling the P.O. and getting all the details you can.
    '03 Marauder 300A / Forged 11:1 Eaton @ 17 lbs - 87 Octane
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning

Sadly the guy I bought it from wasn't much help. All of the performance work was done by the owner before him...who is now deceased . He said the guy was nearing end of life when he bought the car and didn't have any of the original paperwork.

I'll find a replacement for the 110.5" belt and see if that nets me any luck.

Psybermt
    i have an 03 with a pro charger i run a gates K061093 6PK2774 that is 109-3/4 long if that helps

post some pics of the setup under the hood, its possible its actually an old Reinhart Vortech setup.

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

Quote Originally Posted by offroadkarter View Post
    post some pics of the setup under the hood, its possible its actually an old Reinhart Vortech setup.
    Interesting that you said that. The person I bought it from said it was a Reinhart ProCharger setup. Is actually Vortech, but the Reinhart part could be true.

I got it back together and running correctly. Seems like the smaller pulley and 110" belt is required for this setup. I also pulled the new Dayco composite pulley off as it felt hard to turn and it had already sprayed most of it's bearing grease onto the block and inside itself. Returning it and replaced it with a standard metal pulley.

Taking it to Mo's Speed Shop on Friday for Marty to have a look at it and tell me what all it has / needs.

Here are some pics before, during and after disassembly / reassembly:

Engine bay before.jpg
    Before disassembly 1

Engine bay before 2.jpg
    Before disassembly 2

SC before clean.jpg
    S/C assembly before cleaning

Power steering.jpg
    Power steering pulley

Water pump.jpg
    Water pump

Damage 1.jpg
    Existing damage #1

Damage 2.jpg
    Existing damage #2 (bracket on left)

Damage 3.jpg
    Stripped right side alternator bracket top hole

All the oil originally.jpg
    All the oil I took out of the S/C before flushing with 8oz of Vortech oil and filling with 4oz.

New pulleys before reassembly.jpg
    Final / current pulley arrangement with new pulleys. Small idler on the bottom left is the old one that it came with...not sure what the proper replacement part is.

Yea that looks like an old Reinhart kit, he sold them with both Vortech and Paxton headunits (Vortech owns Paxton).

Dennis Reinhart's shop in Florida is long gone, in short, the guy was a crook and basically chased off the forum after ruining multiple cars for members.

I'd be having Marty put a new tune on that car after going over it mechanically, Reinhart's tuning skills were comparable to an ape slapping the keyboard in microsoft excel.

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

Man that bay needs a bath!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Noted! I got lucky that I live 15 minutes from Marty's shop lol.

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    Man that bay needs a bath!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    You aren't kidding! Once I get the oil changed, trans pan service done and brakes done it's getting a full detail. Already yanked the seats and deep cleaned the interior.

Yea that looks like an old Reinhart kit, he sold them with both Vortech and Paxton headunits (Vortech owns Paxton).

Dennis Reinhart's shop in Florida is long gone, in short, the guy was a crook and basically chased off the forum after ruining multiple cars for members.

I'd be having Marty put a new tune on that car after going over it mechanically, Reinhart's tuning skills were comparable to an ape slapping the keyboard in microsoft excel.
    Priceless quote! I laughed out loud! So glad DR is no longer prominent around our Marauder family.
    2003 300A
    Widened Rear Wheels with 295 45 Nitto G2's
    Eaton Swapped by Curless
    Brake Upgrade
    Mo's Tune
    JLT Intake
    Addco Sway Bars
    ADTR Coil Over Suspension
    Metco Control Arms & Watts Link
    SW Headers and Exhaust
    Accessories By FastBlackMerc
    4.10 Gears
    Aeroforce Gauges
    Pantherlights Headlamps

I had the pleasure of visiting Mo's Speed Shop today and meeting Jeff and the guys. We spent almost 2 hours going through the car from end to end, top to bottom. Feel much better being told that she's as good as she looks and is in good, stable shape.

They're going to replace the normal aging parts (bushings, seals, other rubber), ditch the stock mufflers, do the rear cooling mod, replace shocks and struts, replace a fail-modded tail shaft, diagnose a minor oil leak, coolant temp spikes, a mushy brake pedal and give it an even deeper inspection as they take parts off. Considering upgrading the watts linkage as the control arms have already been done and a few other small upgrades...to start with anyway .

I can't say enough good things about the guys at the shop. They were very up front about what needed replacement / repair vs what didn't, what could be kept as it was, what could be upgraded, etc. I didn't feel pressured in the least. Honestly, it just felt like a group of fellow enthusiasts who also happen to run a shop. I feel lucky to live 20 minutes from the shop. NOW. With that said...seeing all the amazing Marauders and Mustangs and Crown Vics around the shop, my wallet was screaming for me to get the hell out of there! They've done some amazing work on some amazing cars. Every time I mentioned a mod that I'd heard of or thought about they just showed me a car where they'd done it .

Reinhart's tuning skills were comparable to an ape slapping the keyboard in microsoft excel.
    Holy crap is that accurate
    '03 Marauder | '91 Country Squire | '18 Flex Ecoboost | '92 Shadow VT1100
    former Panthers: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '04 CVLX, '03 SAP P71, '10 P7B
    CLICK HERE and have your Marauder's COA info added to the database!!! | 2003 list ||| 2004 list
    Reinhart's tuning skills were comparable to an ape slapping the keyboard in microsoft excel.

Thread Information