Thread: Identify this building type?

Question Identify this building type?

I'm looking for info about this building construction, but nothing on Google comes up.

It's not a quonset hut, these diamond-shaped aluminum panels are simply the roofing riveted together and the end walls (at this point) are rotting plywood held together by nails and sprayfoam!
    It's on a decent slab with solid oldgrowth timber for the frame on the first floor holding up the second floor, which is braced with 2x4 and 2x6 to the roof.

I've tried using words like "diamond/geometric/honeycomb/aluminum/panel/building/barn/shed" in my searches, but I get nothing. I'm trying to see the viability of this in the sense of teardown vs rebuild. This shop was built in 1986, which makes it close to 40 years old. The property has gone "wild" since 2015, so keep that in mind.

This building really keeps with the heritage and character of the rst of the property, but not if it's going to be double the amount to fix as opposed to building a new shop.

Any ideas from the collective hive what this is called?

Thanks!7005 panel shed2.jpg7005 panel shed1.jpg

1 of 170 '04 SB w/sunroof, light flint int.

MOD HISTORY:
    -Lidio's Xcal2 flash, JLT CAI
    -Trilogized June/08 (mostly installed by RC_Signals)
    13.2@103 on stock (balding) tires.
    -Added: SW Long tube Headers + High Flow Cats
    -New BFGs (Best Baby Shower gift EVER!)
    12.81@107.78 Oct 02/09
    -Ventilated Block Mod
    Out of commission
    -Rebuilt with:
    Teksid block/ForgedInternals/Melling oil pump/Canton windage tray/Rebuilt heads with SVT Cobra cams/Cloyes gears/ SVT Lightning MAF/Accufab TB/ MuscleMerc rear head cooling kit/ Steigy lightly ported and polished Eaton 112-
    -Widened rims
    XCal 4 Remote-tuned to PERFECTION by Jeff @ MartyO June/19

Home made, self invented, with recycled parts. That's my guess. I don't think those panels were made for roofing, but I could be wrong.
    1963 Marauder S-55, Super Marauder 406
    Only factory 406 powered Marauder, and earliest built Marauder documented to still exist.
    https://sites.google.com/a/wmich.edu/supermarauder/
    ______________________________ _____________

First retailed 2003 Marauder
    Bought 6 June 2002

I've been in the biz for almost 40 years and never seen a roof like that. The barn looks like it started its life as a gambrel style barn and from the looks of it I'd say it was built way before 1986. The roof portion looks like some sort of geodesic experiment. Perhaps someone took down one of those geo homes that were sort of popular in the late 60's and early 70's and fabbed up a roof with the parts. If it is a total mess it would be easier and cheaper to knock it down and build what you want. You could even scrap the roofing and get some money back.

Almost a Quonset Hut style. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quonset_hut

The style originated in Rhode Island.

Looks like it was a major PITA to build!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Almost looks like these Alucobond panels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
    I've been in the biz for almost 40 years and never seen a roof like that. The barn looks like it started its life as a gambrel style barn and from the looks of it I'd say it was built way before 1986. The roof portion looks like some sort of geodesic experiment. Perhaps someone took down one of those geo homes that were sort of popular in the late 60's and early 70's and fabbed up a roof with the parts. If it is a total mess it would be easier and cheaper to knock it down and build what you want. You could even scrap the roofing and get some money back.
    There are actually a few spare panels still left in this barn. Considering the fact that this exterior roof is anywhere between 40 to 60 years old and has no perceptible leaks or wear, maybe I'll just give it a concrete block perimeter foundation, skim coat the slab for smoothness, and reuse the roof. Hmmmm...those end panels though. Not sure what to do.

You mentioned you were in the biz for 40 years, is that a roofing business? Any ideas would be welcomed!

1 of 170 '04 SB w/sunroof, light flint int.

MOD HISTORY:
    -Lidio's Xcal2 flash, JLT CAI
    -Trilogized June/08 (mostly installed by RC_Signals)
    13.2@103 on stock (balding) tires.
    -Added: SW Long tube Headers + High Flow Cats
    -New BFGs (Best Baby Shower gift EVER!)
    12.81@107.78 Oct 02/09
    -Ventilated Block Mod
    Out of commission
    -Rebuilt with:
    Teksid block/ForgedInternals/Melling oil pump/Canton windage tray/Rebuilt heads with SVT Cobra cams/Cloyes gears/ SVT Lightning MAF/Accufab TB/ MuscleMerc rear head cooling kit/ Steigy lightly ported and polished Eaton 112-
    -Widened rims
    XCal 4 Remote-tuned to PERFECTION by Jeff @ MartyO June/19

Based what you described and what I can see I'd go with my original thought. Rehabbing old, worn out and presumably out of code buildings is costly, overly time consuming, dirty and generally just a PITA. Unless it's some building that has historical significance I'd rebuild with something faster, easier and more cost efficient to build. If your worried about the roof put a 40 year architectural roof on it. You'll be drinking your meals through a straw by the time it needs replacing.

What are your intentions for the building?

Thread Information