Thread: Reset catalytic and evap monitor

Reset catalytic and evap monitor

Hey guys
    So I took the Marauder into the Smog shop in California and was told no go. Apparently the Zack tune (Awesome tune) turned off a few monitors that are now checked by California. I have been able to get all monitors reset except the Catalytic and the Evap. How do I go about doing that? I have put 200 miles (varied terrain, speed, throttle) on her since returning her to stock tune, which has its own challenges - stock = 3.55, but the car has 4.10's ... speedo is kinda off.
    Thanks!
    Previous
    2003 DPB 232 fo 328.

Watching as I'm having the same exact issue! Evap won't reset no matter what I do.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

It just takes driving the car. Sometimes 400-500 miles. I changed my tune a month before I took in into smog. Second monitor turned on. Passed.
    Changed tune back to Marty’s tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks ... will keep driving her ... I had two different folks who wanted to buy in California, but the smog not done is preventing that. Ugh, I hate the California Smog rules ...
    Previous
    2003 DPB 232 fo 328.

They changed the smog rules 3 years ago because people like us would change the tune, get 1 monitor to turn on and then pass. That’s why the change to 2 monitors have to be on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    man that cali crap sucks!

2003 Black 300A #3545 DOB 8/14/2002

Steeda Underdrives
    BBK 65MM Throttle Body
    Transmission optimized to the nines by yours truly
    Marty Ochs Tunes
    Auburn LSD, FPP 3.73's
    Stainless Works Exhaust
    ADTR Henious Billet Arms
    ADTR Ridetech "Coilovers"
    Addco Sway Bar
    PS Z32 Brakes
    N a Whole lot more

Reset catalytic and evap monitor

For the cat monitor you should try using your cruise control as it is VERY picky about speed. This is in regards to holding a certain speed for ten minutes at speeds between 25-45 repeated 5 times at different speeds.

Between all five speeds you must also come to a complete stop and for the next run you need to get up to speed using only 1/4 - 1/2 throttle. You should try and pick a road with a 45 MPH limit that’s not busy with a shoulder to pull off onto, or even a highway at night. Your speeds can literally be 40/41/42/43/44.

Having a scanner hooked up to verify when complete definitely helps.

Also make sure your fuel tank has over 15% of fuel or the PCM suspends all testing.

This worked on my F150 when it pretty much refused to reset the cat monitor, common on most Fords.

As for the EVAP, I thought even Cali followed EPA guidelines like ALL states with emissions in that they do not require that monitor to be ready? On and not ready should pass, turned off would be a fail..

PS I can’t recall but is there a way to alter tire revolutions per minute on a stock tune? Doubtful but would help with the shifting and the 4.10’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

I drive my car for about 10 minutes at different speeds, mostly under 40mph as I just putt around on local roads. I was told to the secret to the evap monitor is that it needs to sit for a long time after the car is turned off. I let it sit overnight after my short jaunt and haven't had a problem.

My EVAP finally went ready. Turns out it has been too hot. According to http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html IAT has to be between 40F-100F. It has been so hot lately and the design of the Reinhart "airbox" apparently doesn't do a great job of keeping hot engine bay air out. By the time the coolant was up to the temp range the IAT had already exceeded the range.

I drove it early in the morning a couple days ago when it was in the 60s and it completed the required test after only about 15 minutes of driving. Hardest part was getting what that site calls EVAPDC but what Forscan calls EVAPVM to stay above 85% as required. Finally found a long, uphill stretch of highway where I could stay under 65mph but stay on the throttle at least a tiny bit so that the duty cycle got high enough. Forscan showed that the test had completed. Turned it off and let it sit overnight, turned it back on and the monitor was ready.

Cat still isn't ready, but GA allows 1 not ready for a car of this age.

I finally got my CAT ready, drove 25 miles through the city, block by block ...
    Previous
    2003 DPB 232 fo 328.

Ford Motor Company Driving Cycle

Description of OBDII Drive Cycle
    The following procedure is designed to execute and complete the OBDII monitors and to clear the Ford P1000, I/M readiness code. To complete a specific monitor for repair verification, follow steps 1 through 4, then continue with the step described by the appropriate monitor found under the "OBDII Monitor Exercised" column. When the ambient air temperature is outside 4.4 to 37.8°C (40 to 100° F), or the altitude is above 2438 meters (8000 feet), the EVAP monitor will not run. If the P1000 code must be cleared in these conditions, the PCM must detect them once (twice on some applications) before the EVAP monitor can be "bypassed" and the P1000 cleared. The Evap "bypassing" procedure is described in the following drive cycle.

The OBDII Drive Cycle will be performed using a scan tool. Consult the instruction manual for each described function. NOTE: A detailed description of a Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Reset is found in this section, refer to the table of contents.
    Drive Cycle Recommendations:

1. Most OBDII monitors will complete more readily using a "steady foot" driving style during cruise or acceleration modes. Operating the throttle in a "smooth" fashion will minimize the time required for monitor completion.
    2. Fuel tank level should be between 1/2 and 3/4 fill with 3/4 fill being the most desirable.
    3. The Evaporative Monitor can only operate during the first 30 minutes of engine operation. When executing the procedure for this monitor, stay in part throttle mode and drive in a smooth fashion to minimize "fuel slosh".

WARNING
    STRICT OBSERVANCE OF POSTED SPEED LIMITS AND ATTENTION TO DRIVING CONDITIONS ARE MANDATORY WHEN PROCEEDING THROUGH THE FOLLOWING DRIVE CYCLES.

For best results, follow each of the following steps as accurately as possible:
    OBDII Monitor
    Exercised
    Drive Cycle Procedure
    Purpose of
    Drive Cycle Procedure
    Drive Cycle
    Preparation
    1. Install scan tool. Turn key on with the engine off. Cycle key off, then on. Select appropriate Vehicle & Engine qualifier. Clear all DTC's/ Perform a PCM Reset. Bypasses engine soak timer. Resets OBDII Monitor status.
    2. Begin to monitor the following PIDs: ECT, EVAPDC, FLI (if available) and TP MODE.
    Start vehicle WITHOUT returning to Key Off.
    3. Idle vehicle for 15 seconds. Drive at 64 Km/h (40 MPH) until ECT is at least 76.7°C (170° F).
    Prep for Monitor Entry 4. Is IAT within 4.4 to 37.8°C (40 to 100° F)? If Not, complete the following steps but, note that step 14 will be required to "bypass " the Evap monitor and clear the P1000. Engine warm-up and provide IAT input to the PCM.
    HEGO 5. Cruise at 64 Km/h (40 MPH) for up to 4 minutes. Executes the HEGO monitor.
    EVAP 6. Cruise at 72 to 104 Km/h (45 to 65 MPH) for 10 minutes (avoid sharp turns and hills) Note, to initiate the monitor: TP MODE should =PT, EVAPDC must be >75%, and FLI must be between 15 and 85% Executes the EVAP Monitor (If IAT is within 4.4 to 37.8° (40 to 100°F))
    Catalyst 7. Drive in stop and go traffic conditions. Include five different constant cruise speeds, ranging from 40 to 72 Km/h (25 to 45 MPH) over a 10 minute period. Executes the Catalyst Monitor.
    EGR 8. From a stop, accelerate to 72 Km/h (45 MPH) at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Repeat 3 times. Executes the EGR Monitor.
    SEC AIR/CCM (Engine) 9. Bring the vehicle to a stop. Idle with transmission in drive (neutral for M/T) for 2 minutes. Executes the ISC portion of the CCM.
    CCM (Trans) 10. For M/T, accelerate from 0 to 80 Km/h (o to 50 MPH), continue to step 11. For A/T, from a stop and in overdrive, moderately accelerate to 80 Km/h (50 MPH) and cruise for at least 15 seconds. Stop vehicle and repeat without overdrive to 64 Km/h (40 MPH) cruising for at least 30 seconds. While at 64 Km/h (40 MPH) , activate overdrive and accelerate to 80 Km/h (50 MPH) and cruise for at least 15 seconds. Stop for at least 20 seconds and repeat step 10 five times. Executes the transmission portion of the CCM.
    Misfire & Fuel Monitors 11. From a stop, accelerate to 104 Km/h (65 MPH). Decelerate at closed throttle until 64 Km/h (40 MPH) (no brakes). Repeat this 3 times. Allows learning for the misfire monitor.
    Readiness Check 12. Access the ON-Board System Readiness (OBDII monitor status) function on the scan tool. Determine whether all non-continuous monitors have completed. If not, go to step 13. Determines if any monitor has not completed.
    Pending Code Check and Evap Monitor "Bypass" Check 13. With the scan tool, check for pending codes. Conduct normal repair procedures for any pending code concern. Otherwise, rerun any incomplete monitor.
    Note: if the EVAP monitor is not complete AND IAT was out of the 4.4 to 37.8° C (40 to 100° F) temperature range in step #4, or the altitude is over 2438 m. (8000 ft.), the Evap "bypass" procedure must be followed.
    Proceed to step 14.
    Determines if a pending code is preventing the clearing of P1000.
    Evap Monitor "Bypass" 14. Park vehicle for a minimum of 8 hours. Repeat steps 2 through 12. DO NOT REPEAT STEP 1. Allow the "bypass" counter to
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox (sold)
    2004 DTR - shitbox #2

Somebody make this a Sticky ^^^

Here is the link to it

http://obdii.com/drivecycleford.html
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox (sold)
    2004 DTR - shitbox #2

Thread Information