Thread: Okay to swap MAFs?

Okay to swap MAFs?

Greetings folks!

The 2 screws that hold the MAF sensor to its housing on my '04 MM have decided to stop turning...1 head came right off and the other screw just spins. I got them off, but the housing is kinda messed up. I have a spare from the recycle yard which is in really good shape, so I'm just going to swap them. The screws are in good shape too.

My question is regarding the MAF sensor itself. There is a small piece of broken plastic on my original MAF, right where the resistor/heated wire sits, which exposes the resistor to open air. So I'd like to use the recycled part as well. It's in perfect shape.

The issue is a slight difference in the part number on each MAF. The original is part #3W3F-128579-AA , with AFH80-09 beneath that, and 7H22 beneath that.
    The used part # is identical, except the bottom 4 digits are
    2G11.

Does this difference present any kind of problem at all? I don't think it's a problem, but I wanted to confirm that with the experts in here before going ahead.

Any and all input is appreciated.

What did you get the MAF off of? Thats the real question. If its another 80mm MAF you should be safe to just swap. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the sensor itself is calibrated for the MAF housing (otherwise why not just use the same sensor in every car?) so I wouldn't put a 70mm or 55mm sensor in a 80mm housing.

I will say generally speaking if something is wrong with the sensor, the car will tell you with a CEL. I had thrown a tune on a friends 04 crown vic sport and the tuner forgot to set it for a 80mm MAF that we installed and it tripped a lean code.

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

Thanks for the reply...that makes sense about the calibration. The MAF is an 80mm that came off a totaled Marauder in my local recycler's yard, so it should be fine. It was gonna be used for another project, but was just sitting in a box. I'll go ahead with the swap and keep an eye out for any CELs.

Thanks again!

Just to follow up on this - the recycle yard MAF is in and I got no CELs after starting the car and warming it up for a bit. So all is good.

The idle is a bit rough, but after driving for a while, it should smooth back out. If not, I'll do a battery disconnect and see how that goes.

Thanks for the input!

Thread Information