Thread: Exhaust to EGR tube and coolant crossover mod

Exhaust to EGR tube and coolant crossover mod

Hey guys,
    Continuing to assemble...getting closer.
    Putting together the upper intake manifold and associated components, I noticed the exhaust to EGR tube , which has 2 layers of worn out white cloth heavy fiber insulation on it, runs right up against the coolant hose that moves coolant from the rear of one head to the other. I installed this coolant mod at the recommendation of Chris at ADTR (great outfit and Chris has been super helpful).

Without the mod, the presence of the vortech SC (JT-V7), etc., etc., can result in not wanted detonation in the rearward cylinders.

I am concerned that the heat from the exhaust to EGR tube, even though it is insulated as described, could be a problem for that coolant hose. Owing to the shape of the connectors that go into the heads and the interference from the fuel rail connector hose, I cant relocate the hose very much at all.

Also, I wonder if keeping the exhaust heading towards the EGR more hot, via more insulation wrapped on the tube, would be bad for the EGR valve and for the engine performance.

Thoughts?
    Thanks
    -KK

I wrapped my coolant hose in a few layers of dynamat back when I had an EGR. After a few months it melted some of the first layer but never went any farther than that. That lasted for a good 4-5 years before removing the tube altogether and still looked the same. It gets HOT.

BTW Adding the rear cooling mod is a must without a blower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

JB,
    Thanks - I will find some of that dynamat.
    I didn't know that even w/o a blower the rear cooling mod was a must. Glad I put it in.
    I see you have Stainless Works for exhaust. I am going to purchase the same from Chris (long pipes and cat back). You like the sound? One fast car you got there!
    How does one add the "signature" like yours with the complete car description? I'd like to do the same.
    Thanks for the help - much appreciated!
    -KK

I have full Stainlessworks exhaust, no cats, and honestly didn't like the sound. But many here do like it. I put the stock tips with resonators back on and swapped the x-pipe for a Magnaflow x-pipe muffler and can tolerate the exhaust now. My $.02.
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

Thanks.

Love the headers, hate the sound. I used the Megs 4” res delete tips someday plan on switching to an H pipe with better muffs.

Just look for edit signature in your settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by blazen71 View Post
    I have full Stainlessworks exhaust, no cats, and honestly didn't like the sound. But many here do like it. I put the stock tips with resonators back on and swapped the x-pipe for a Magnaflow x-pipe muffler and can tolerate the exhaust now. My $.02.
    The X-pipe is what makes it sound so horrible. Swap for an H-pipe =

WLB
    BB#1) 1996 ImpalaSS - 16,500 miles - 100% stock
    ______________________________ ___________

BB#2) 2003 Marauder (300a) - 34k miles - Daily Driver
    #2912 of 7093
    Conceived 8/6/2002
    Delivered 9/19/2002
    Adopted 8/10/2011
    Trilogy 242 - Self Installed 9/9/12 (0-60 5.5 sec)
    Pioneer 6x8 Front
    Legacy 600w 6x9 Rears
    JL 6.5 SubWoofer
    K&N CAI
    Window tint 50% rear/35% front
    FBM CHMSL with Strobe mod 7/1/12
    DR Deep Aluminum Trans Pan
    Sparta FOMOCO Racing 8.8 Girdle
    Mo's Dyno Tune
    Gorilla Nuts - The System
    Ford Racing 4.10s, 31 spline Cobra carrier & axles 7/1/12
    Powder Coat Axle Housing 7/1/12
    CME HP Rear Control Arms & Watts Link 7/1/12
    ______________________________ ________________

Rex "SC Cheesehead" Weinbender 11-14-13
    Ed "Baaad GN" Linthicum 8-6-2014

Quote Originally Posted by MyBlackBeasts View Post
    The X-pipe is what makes it sound so horrible. Swap for an H-pipe =
    Agreed. The x-pipe muffler actually gave it a deeper tone, similar to h-pipe.
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    BTW Adding the rear cooling mod is a must without a blower.

My '03 stock MM with it's 485k km, original heads, original hoses and no cooling mod would like a word.

Thread Information