Thread: How to add new muffler(s)?

How to add new muffler(s)?

Hey Guys,
    I am thinking of replacing the mufflers on my '03.
    To save some cash I was going to keep the stock pipes and just replace the mufflers...
    Which raises some questions..
    Doable?
    I see a clamp on the front of the muffler...just cut the back?
    How does one re-attach the rear of the new muffler to the pipe? Weld? Coupler? Something else?
    Do the frame mounts have to be cut off and rewelded onto the new muffler?
    Was thinking of going with Stainless Works mufflers. Any recommends?
    Thanks
    -KK
    '03 Silver Birch. Stock rebuilt 4.L 32V DOHC, V7-JT blower w/ADTR racing supercharger kit, Shift kit in transmission, stainless works long pipes and cat backs, Ridetech coil-overs front, shocks in back (ADTR kit). Rebuilt calipers, upgraded front rotors, OEM Mercury wheels, [boost, oil P, WB fuel/air, and fuel pressure] gauges. Build duration was Dec 2019 to Mar 2022. 8 rib serp belt upgrade i/p.

Any of the attachment options you listed works. It depends how resourceful you or your shop is. If you're looking for cost savings, I'd get magnaflow or Borla mufflers vs. Stainlessworks. Having full Stainlessworks exhaust, I'm not a huge fan of the headerback sound. The headers however are a work of art.
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

Thanks Blazen!
    I found a nice youtube video of a guy putting magnaflow glass packs on an '05 CrownVic. Seems like I can do it. :-)
    Thanks again
    '03 Silver Birch. Stock rebuilt 4.L 32V DOHC, V7-JT blower w/ADTR racing supercharger kit, Shift kit in transmission, stainless works long pipes and cat backs, Ridetech coil-overs front, shocks in back (ADTR kit). Rebuilt calipers, upgraded front rotors, OEM Mercury wheels, [boost, oil P, WB fuel/air, and fuel pressure] gauges. Build duration was Dec 2019 to Mar 2022. 8 rib serp belt upgrade i/p.

I replaced the SW x-pipe with an x-pipe muffler using clamps and it worked well.

Attachment 51345
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

How to add new muffler(s)?

Most muffler shops I’ve ever been to stock Magnaflow or Flowmaster. Normally they aren’t anymore than normal price anywhere else and that includes install. I know I only paid $180 installed for both Flowmaster Delta 50’s probably 10 years ago and I see there still right around $89 each so nothings really changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by blazen71 View Post
    I replaced the SW x-pipe with an x-pipe muffler using clamps and it worked well.

Attachment 51345
    The underside of your car looks like NEW Dave!!
    No Marauder

Quote Originally Posted by Marauderjack View Post
    For real! SOOO clean!
    2003 300A
    Widened Rear Wheels with 295 45 Nitto G2's
    Eaton Swapped by Curless
    Brake Upgrade
    Mo's Tune
    JLT Intake
    Addco Sway Bars
    ADTR Coil Over Suspension
    Metco Control Arms & Watts Link
    SW Headers and Exhaust
    Accessories By FastBlackMerc
    4.10 Gears
    Aeroforce Gauges
    Pantherlights Headlamps

Quote Originally Posted by Marauderjack View Post
    Not bad for 275,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by blazen71 View Post

Attachment 51345
    Man does that look sweet!
    How does it sound with the X-pipe Muffler?
    Deeper?....not as raspy?

That seems like a nicer set-up than the old MAC Power-Chamber.
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Walsh View Post
    Man does that look sweet!
    How does it sound with the X-pipe Muffler?
    Deeper?....not as raspy?

That seems like a nicer set-up than the old MAC Power-Chamber.
    Yup, deeper tone, like an h-pipe. And quieter.

Thread Information