Thread: Newbie Project.

Cool Newbie Project.

Hi all,

i'm christian, i'm in a small town in canada, qc. That is important for the rest ;p
    I'm a car enthusiast, i can take the tool box, and do simple thing, i love to learn, but don't ask me to change a cam or piston ;p
    Sold my 2005 mustang that i bought new, two years ago, making 580 at the wheel.

And now i bought a house with a 2 cars garage, my daily is the most boring car you can make (for real), at least the most boring i've ever owned. But it serve it's purpose.
    But i need a project that will become my new daily.

My Plan is, buy a car, with a good body,
    build/ change/ swap/ beef up the engine,
    same for transmission
    Upgrade suspension, no drop, make it better than the original if possible, good confort, good handling.
    Change brake from a to z
    Fix what need to be fix.
    I want a 10 000 miles a year car, that start when i turn the key, bring me where i want, in summer or winter (Canda's winter), spacious, confortable, and that can shout (400, 420 torque ) when you smash it.

So at the origin, i was looking for a crown vic.
    Engine swap was in my mind, my dream car have either a:
    Godzilla 7.3L, LS3, ShortBlock ford, or a cobra 2004 engine ( as a mustang owner i was for sure a fan of those)

and then i discovered the maraudeur, already fitted with one of my engine choice. What a perfect base for me to rebuild, But i hear horrible things about engine problems on the maraudeur.
    Could i bring the original engine to my goal of performance and an engine i can rely on ?
    Remember at the start, i told you i'm living in a small town in canada, that is important, because i don't have access to all the car you have in the US, neither to the shop that can do that for me and send me the car.
    I have to rely on mostly on myself, so as hard i want it, a godzilla swap is not in my future. ( *cry in silence* )

So i give you my wallet with my goal,
    What do you do.
    Crown or Maradeur (Would love to "save" a maraudeur a give it a second life to be used everyday and up to date)
    Engine ?, Mods power adder ?
    Suspension mods ?
    Things that every maraudeur owner should change or fix in prevention ?

Thanks
    Oh of course if you are a wrench god, bored, leaving near me, my garage door is open to help me out on my project.

Most Marauder specific parts are long discontinued with minimal aftermarket. You will pay dearly for shipping to Canada all the time. They are not cheap to modify, needs power adder to get 400 rwhp. You don't have a shop, you can do some mechanical but not tear motor down. IMO not the car to make a daily in far away place.
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

I totally see what you mean, it's time like that i wished i was in FL or TX

Quote Originally Posted by RubberCtyRauder View Post
    Most Marauder specific parts are long discontinued with minimal aftermarket. You will pay dearly for shipping to Canada all the time. They are not cheap to modify, needs power adder to get 400 rwhp. You don't have a shop, you can do some mechanical but not tear motor down. IMO not the car to make a daily in far away place.
    Completely agree ^^^

And then that leads to the next on the list, a Crown Vic. I never understood throwing money at something that will never be worth anything. And yes, the Marauder comes really close to that category but at least it’s unique enough that there will always be interest even if it’s a tiny crowd.

Wouldn’t an F150 better suit your environment? It’s close on power, and more torque, highly customizable on the cheap to personalize and holds their value pretty well considering they’ve made enough to practically cover the moon by now. For a dependable tough daily I’d take my ‘04 F150 with 185,000 miles any day over a stock Marauder with half the miles. Easier and cheaper to obtain parts is the biggest plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

I'm not trying to steer you away, I wouldn't make it a daily driver based on your location. Make a fun nice day car, weekend, etc. A tune from Marty Ochs from MOs speed shop as and he is a dealer for stainless works headers in vendor section, done 4.10 gears, big front brake kit from member Lji372, rear control arm and watts link upgrade, and a 3000 stall make a good, fun car
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Nothing wrong with building a Marauder as a DD.....
    just remember that anything 'Marauder' is similar to anything 'Marine' for a boat...
    Everything is 3 times more expensive!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Walsh View Post
    Nothing wrong with building a Marauder as a DD.....
    just remember that anything 'Marauder' is similar to anything 'Marine' for a boat...
    Everything is 3 times more expensive!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    your reference to marine gives me flash backs of the saying " ehh spend another thousand" BAHAH

2003 Black 300A #3545 DOB 8/14/2002

Steeda Underdrives
    BBK 65MM Throttle Body
    Transmission optimized to the nines by yours truly
    Marty Ochs Tunes
    Auburn LSD, FPP 3.73's
    Stainless Works Exhaust
    ADTR Henious Billet Arms
    ADTR Ridetech "Coilovers"
    Addco Sway Bar
    PS Z32 Brakes
    N a Whole lot more