Thread: Double Din Head Unit Advice

Double Din Head Unit Advice

Looking to replace the factory head unit. Has anyone had experience installing a newer shallow no mechanism head unit? I see about having to cut the dash lips and the tray for wire clearance but i am trying to make this install as little interference as possible. Crutchfield talks about not being able to reinstall a factory radio as well as having to tear the dash apart to remove a radio after install. I am also ok with looking into a single din chassis with mountable screen.

I know i am green here, and did some searching but i cant find a good explanation, the older archived posts dont have any pictures, and i think are obsolete. My ultimate goal is to have bluetooth and aux in, but android auto/carplay would not be terrible.

thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese302 View Post
    Looking to replace the factory head unit. Has anyone had experience installing a newer shallow no mechanism head unit? I see about having to cut the dash lips and the tray for wire clearance but i am trying to make this install as little interference as possible. Crutchfield talks about not being able to reinstall a factory radio as well as having to tear the dash apart to remove a radio after install. I am also ok with looking into a single din chassis with mountable screen.

I know i am green here, and did some searching but i cant find a good explanation, the older archived posts dont have any pictures, and i think are obsolete. My ultimate goal is to have bluetooth and aux in, but android auto/carplay would not be terrible.

thanks in advance.
    If you dont want to do much hacking id get a double din with no DVD player. Those units are usually shallower and don't need much trimming. Only trimming would be a little bit to the bezel which goes around the dash and gauges and whatnot. Im not sure if you can do a double din without at minimum trimmimg some of the bezel, i have a full double din and had to trim the bezzel and a little tab in the dash. Its still clean for me but I can understand you standpoint on minimal damage

Sent from my SM-G715U using Tapatalk

2003 Black 300A #3545 DOB 8/14/2002

Steeda Underdrives
    BBK 65MM Throttle Body
    Transmission optimized to the nines by yours truly
    Marty Ochs Tunes
    Auburn LSD, FPP 3.73's
    Stainless Works Exhaust
    ADTR Henious Billet Arms
    ADTR Ridetech "Coilovers"
    Addco Sway Bar
    PS Z32 Brakes
    N a Whole lot more

Single din with "poctet" insert for wallet or phone.

2003 300A Black, #4918 of 7838, 17,400 Miles
    Tune, KYB's, JLT, FlowMaster 42441, Res Delete, New BFG's, 8 coats of zymoil Titanium

2003 300B Silver Birch, #21 of 419, 29,800 miles
    Tune, JLT, FlowMaster 42441 Res Delete, New Nitto 235/255 Bigcarsforever dead peddle & custom SRP peddles, 5 coats Zymoil Titanium, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYBs, 1/2 inch coil cut, Sparta Watts link and Control Arms, Carfixer alignment.

2003 CV Sport Matador Red, 19,280 Miles, DD, Curless Full Service Royal flush, Marto Tune, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires, NEW OEM Sport Springs -1 coil & Monroe Severe Duty (front) shocks, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYB rear Shocks, Carfixer Alignment.

2004 CV HPP Silver Birch, 93,000 miles. Son's DD, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires (thank you Lowndex!)

I have never had to trim anything behind any of the double dins in my car's. I just make sure when I put the radio back in the dash to tuck the wires nicely on each side. The only trimming I do is the dash piece to allow the double din to slide in and out of the dash as stated above.
    Neil
    2003 Mercury Marauder - DBP/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - BLK/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - SB/LF
    2004 Mercury Marauder - DTR/LF
    1964 Mercury Marauder - BLK/BLK

thanks for the replies. i think i am going to take a look at one of these newer setups that has a mountable screen on a single din chassis'd radio. Either that or i am going to just go single din and keep android auto running on my phone in a good dash mount.

has anyone tried something like this? https://www.worldwidestereo.com/prod...media-receiver

I installed a Chinese android radio with DVD player and didn't have to trim anything inside just a little bit of the top of the bezel. radio fits nice and is android powered, has navigation and all the apps you want.
    2003 Mercury Grandma on steroids

My 2DIN radio required NO cutting or modification. I keep seeing that posted and have NO idea where cutting would be necessary. DIN and 2DIN are industry size standards for size and the wiring colors are EIA but only depth would vary.
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

Quote Originally Posted by BAD MERC View Post
    My 2DIN radio required NO cutting or modification. I keep seeing that posted and have NO idea where cutting would be necessary. DIN and 2DIN are industry size standards for size and the wiring colors are EIA but only depth would vary.
    i understand, but it seems like panthers need some amout of trimming and i am unwilling to do that even to add modern features to my car. i want to be able to revert is completely back to factory original. i could trym but i think i am going to take a gander at the the sony i linked.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese302 View Post
    i understand, but it seems like panthers need some amout of trimming and i am unwilling to do that even to add modern features to my car. i want to be able to revert is completely back to factory original. i could trym but i think i am going to take a gander at the the sony i linked.
    The trimming you refer to will not prevent the OEM headunit from being reinstalled.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by 1Marauder View Post
    Single din with "poctet" insert for wallet or phone.
    = ghetto. IMHO.....
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    = ghetto. IMHO.....
    Hey Jim! I resemble that remark! Mine has the same handy dandy storage slot.

Although I will be upgrading the radio again to the DD unit I just put in my F250 as it is AWESOME after finding out from you and others the DD unit will fit w/o chopping up the dash! It has Garmin in it.

I will then lose my handy dandy storage slot...

WLB
    BB#1) 1996 ImpalaSS - 16,500 miles - 100% stock
    ______________________________ ___________

BB#2) 2003 Marauder (300a) - 34k miles - Daily Driver
    #2912 of 7093
    Conceived 8/6/2002
    Delivered 9/19/2002
    Adopted 8/10/2011
    Trilogy 242 - Self Installed 9/9/12 (0-60 5.5 sec)
    Pioneer 6x8 Front
    Legacy 600w 6x9 Rears
    JL 6.5 SubWoofer
    K&N CAI
    Window tint 50% rear/35% front
    FBM CHMSL with Strobe mod 7/1/12
    DR Deep Aluminum Trans Pan
    Sparta FOMOCO Racing 8.8 Girdle
    Mo's Dyno Tune
    Gorilla Nuts - The System
    Ford Racing 4.10s, 31 spline Cobra carrier & axles 7/1/12
    Powder Coat Axle Housing 7/1/12
    CME HP Rear Control Arms & Watts Link 7/1/12
    ______________________________ ________________

Rex "SC Cheesehead" Weinbender 11-14-13
    Ed "Baaad GN" Linthicum 8-6-2014

I love the cheap Android 10 unit I bought for my daughters car. Great reviews so I gambled and it’s soooo much more complex than the lame Pioneer I put in the Marauder years ago that I paid double or more. I ended buying a second one for either the car or the truck, just haven’t made my mind up on which LOL. So it’s just been chillin on the kitchen counter for a couple of months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

= ghetto. IMHO.....
    Truth!
    Neil
    2003 Mercury Marauder - DBP/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - BLK/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - SB/LF
    2004 Mercury Marauder - DTR/LF
    1964 Mercury Marauder - BLK/BLK

screen i am looking at would cover the pocket.

= ghetto. IMHO.....

There was some filing needed in mine, of the black lip in the opening to get an old double din AVIC Pioneer in 12 or so years ago. Would not go in without it, was actually so snug I didn't need anything else to hold the unit in.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'04 Marauder #357 of 3213 - Built and Eaton swapped - "MERCD"
    '21 F150 XLT 5.0 Sport
    '18 Chevy Malibu Redline
    '15 Mustang GT, performance package
    '01 BMW 740i M-Sport, manual swapped
    '97 Lincoln Town Car (black on black)
    '10 Harley Ultra Limited
    '08 Kawasaki ZX6R
    '03 Grand Marquis(sold)

Thread Information