Thread: Remote Start Removed: Trunk Release Disabled

Remote Start Removed: Trunk Release Disabled

Hi there, I recently picked up an 03 Marauder that had, at one time, a dealer installed remote start. Long story short, that system was removed and now the car does not have a working keyless entry system; the buttons on the driver's door lock and unlock the doors but do not open the trunk. I attempted to program a remote that was originally from an '04 and the only feature that works is the panic function. The trunk button on the door also does not work; it makes a clicking sound when depressed. The mechanical lock on the trunk failed, and now I cannot get into the trunk. I was wondering where I should start to get everything up and running again?

Reinhart tune, NGK TR6 Plugs, 180 Degree stat,EMP/ Stewart Water Pump, K&N Aircharger, Cobra Exhaust, Megs Delete Tips, Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flows, 4.10 gears, COP Connectors, Underdrive Pulleys, PHP Intake Spacer, 255/55/18 KDW2 Rears, Powerslot Rotors, Hawk Pads, TCI Deep Trans Pan, Ford Racing Girdle

You'll need to see if there are any wires cut and not reconnected when the remote start was removed.

One of the wires to the trunk release was cut and not reconnected. Remove the rear seat back and make something that you can get to operate the manual trunk release.

Your probably looking at a long hard road to get this fixed.

Good Luck!
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

I’m thinking that it may be related to the the Driver Door Module. The keyless entry works to lock and unlock the car with the pad on the door but it does not work with the fob; the panic function is the only thing that works with it so I know the fob is communicating with the car. I’m wondering if the DDM was overridden by the remote start module which is now gone—the related remote had lock/unlock and trunk functions. Maybe a new DDM would do the trick?

Reinhart tune, NGK TR6 Plugs, 180 Degree stat,EMP/ Stewart Water Pump, K&N Aircharger, Cobra Exhaust, Megs Delete Tips, Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flows, 4.10 gears, COP Connectors, Underdrive Pulleys, PHP Intake Spacer, 255/55/18 KDW2 Rears, Powerslot Rotors, Hawk Pads, TCI Deep Trans Pan, Ford Racing Girdle

Quote Originally Posted by RedMerc04 View Post
    I’m thinking that it may be related to the the Driver Door Module. The keyless entry works to lock and unlock the car with the pad on the door but it does not work with the fob; the panic function is the only thing that works with it so I know the fob is communicating with the car. I’m wondering if the DDM was overridden by the remote start module which is now gone—the related remote had lock/unlock and trunk functions. Maybe a new DDM would do the trick?
    I have an aftermarket remote start in my '04 MM. Didn't have to touch the DDM. I can use either the supplied remote start fob or the factory fob, both work.
    Last edited by fastblackmerc; 04-01-2021 at 10:12 AM. Reason: spellin'
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

I hate when things get hastily removed. Some "oem" systems require removal of wires from a specific connector, "5 wire rest at ground" circuits, and diode isolation from a GEM module. I did car wiring and electrical for 19 years - if you were local, I'd fix yours just for the challenge.
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

Tried a donor DDM and didnt have any luck. However, I figured out that the spring loaded door on the lock cylinder broke and blocked the key; I was able to pick it out and get the key to work. Im going to have to get a new cylinder, but Im wondering if the trunk latch inside of the trunk has a something to do with this. I just want to rule it out so Im going to check and see if its getting power; I doubt that it is, but it would be nice to just swap the assembly out, plug it in and be done with it.

Thread Information