Thread: Electrical Issue

Electrical Issue

I have a 2003 C model with 41K miles on it.
    Out of the blue - the steering is heavy and the HVAC control unit is black (off).
    After much work - mechanic has determined problem is a blown fuse #16.
    Among other things, this fuse has reversing lamps, shift lock, DRL module, VAP steering, Electronic day/night mirror, overhead console, air suspension, climate control, and transmission solenoid on it. (Why the engineers put all this unrelated stuff on one fuse is beyond the pale.)
    In any event, determined the compressor to air suspension was bad. Replaced it - kept blowing the fuse.
    Replaced the sensor to the VAP steering - kept blowing the fuse.
    Would blow the fuse - just running - sitting still. Would blow the fuse while being driven - no identifying event.
    Disconnected all the above and would still blow the fuse - no identifying event.
    Finally, disconnected and reconnected the solenoid to the transmission - it has not yet blow the fuse.
    Has anyone run into this problem? We are now waiting to see if this has been "solved" by some mysterious hand/action.
    If not solved we are probably looking at a short in the wiring system - where is TBD. Unless someone has a better idea.
    Will be running and driving over the next 2-3 days to determine if solved or another blown fuse.
    Madhatter.

Quote Originally Posted by Madhatter View Post
    I have a 2003 C model with 41K miles on it.
    Out of the blue - the steering is heavy and the HVAC control unit is black (off).
    After much work - mechanic has determined problem is a blown fuse #16.
    Among other things, this fuse has reversing lamps, shift lock, DRL module, VAP steering, Electronic day/night mirror, overhead console, air suspension, climate control, and transmission solenoid on it. (Why the engineers put all this unrelated stuff on one fuse is beyond the pale.)
    In any event, determined the compressor to air suspension was bad. Replaced it - kept blowing the fuse.
    Replaced the sensor to the VAP steering - kept blowing the fuse.
    Would blow the fuse - just running - sitting still. Would blow the fuse while being driven - no identifying event.
    Disconnected all the above and would still blow the fuse - no identifying event.
    Finally, disconnected and reconnected the solenoid to the transmission - it has not yet blow the fuse.
    Has anyone run into this problem? We are now waiting to see if this has been "solved" by some mysterious hand/action.
    If not solved we are probably looking at a short in the wiring system - where is TBD. Unless someone has a better idea.
    Will be running and driving over the next 2-3 days to determine if solved or another blown fuse.
    Madhatter.
    Never heard of this before.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

I’ve heard of a pinched wire at or near the drivers sun visor mounting screws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Thanks will check it out.
    Madhatter

Electrical Issue

My black would blow the same fuse when I would pass the shifter thru reverse. I replaced the neutral switch and it fixed the problem. Part # SW5214. Also I had a short in the Auto Dimmer on the Rear View Mirror. It also caused the same fuse to blow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BLACKMARAUDER04; 04-30-2021 at 07:03 PM.

Thread Information