Thread: Issues with starting/neutral safety switch?

Issues with starting/neutral safety switch?

Hey everyone, I own a 2003 Marauder and unfortunately I need to sell it due to life circumstances.

I've been having issues with the car for years now, it hasn't reliably started for quite awhile. when I go to start it it will either A) start right up or B) the key goes in and everything works fine until you turn the key to start, then nothing. No crank. All the lights and everything work fine, but the starter doesn't do anything. Then you can wait anywhere from 20 minutes to 6 days later and it'll then fire right back up when it feels like it. Incredibly frustrating.

I had a friend-of-a-friend look at it, he's a mechanic and he spent pretty much an entire day on it but couldn't quite figure it out. he came up with a solution to start the car however, and showed me how to jump the car under the hood using a wire and touching a relay and a ground i think (i'm not very mechanical tbh)

At one point I did bring the car to a shop and they told me they replaced the NSS with a used part(?) and that seemed to solve the issue for 1-2 months if I recall right.

Now, I'm losing my home and have to move to an apt and can't keep the car so I have to sell it, and as you can imagine selling it is a nightmare dealing with people who don't understand what the car is and think it's just a grand marquis with some discount tire rims on it and want to give me $800 for it.

ANYWAY, I would GREATLY appreciate any tips or ideas on what I can do next with the car, is it easy to fix? should I just sell it as-is?

Thanks for reading, hope you all have a good day

Quote Originally Posted by snarekick View Post
    Hey everyone, I own a 2003 Marauder and unfortunately I need to sell it due to life circumstances.

I've been having issues with the car for years now, it hasn't reliably started for quite awhile. when I go to start it it will either A) start right up or B) the key goes in and everything works fine until you turn the key to start, then nothing. No crank. All the lights and everything work fine, but the starter doesn't do anything. Then you can wait anywhere from 20 minutes to 6 days later and it'll then fire right back up when it feels like it. Incredibly frustrating.

I had a friend-of-a-friend look at it, he's a mechanic and he spent pretty much an entire day on it but couldn't quite figure it out. he came up with a solution to start the car however, and showed me how to jump the car under the hood using a wire and touching a relay and a ground i think (i'm not very mechanical tbh)

At one point I did bring the car to a shop and they told me they replaced the NSS with a used part(?) and that seemed to solve the issue for 1-2 months if I recall right.

Now, I'm losing my home and have to move to an apt and can't keep the car so I have to sell it, and as you can imagine selling it is a nightmare dealing with people who don't understand what the car is and think it's just a grand marquis with some discount tire rims on it and want to give me $800 for it.

ANYWAY, I would GREATLY appreciate any tips or ideas on what I can do next with the car, is it easy to fix? should I just sell it as-is?

Thanks for reading, hope you all have a good day
    First thing I'd do is make sure fuse #101(30A) (supplies power to the starter relay) in the under hood power distribution box (behind the battery) is making good contact.

Second thing, is make sure the relay #302(starter relay) in the same box is good. You can switch it with either 301, 303, or 304.

Relays wear over time and sometimes the the contacts in the box are loose.

If you need a new relay, PM me with your address and I'll send one.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Did you attempt to start it neutral?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    Did you attempt to start it neutral?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    yes, and it doesn't work

To clarify, I believe it would, IF the car was in a starting mood when you attempted to.

How much are you asking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent you a PM
    03 Marauder- 300B, non heated seats, T/C, no CD changer
    03 Marauder- 300A, Eaton Swapped, SOLD

03 Marauder- 300A, 5544 of 7839 in 03, Trilogy #24, SOLD
    04 Marauder- 300B, SB with LF interior, 208k miles and still ticking SOLD

Thread Information