Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuttering tranny behavior

Stuttering tranny behavior

Hey all,

So the girl has been sleeping in the garage for the winter and I finally took her out today for her initial cruise and to get an inspection. Besides the fact that the shop had to take all my tint off to pass and leave glue residue (that, a different story) had a nice run with her. I noticing some concerning behavior from the transmission that I am trying to track down. While driving under 40, depending on speed most of the time I notice she will shift through the gears smoothly - but I get a few situations where either on low acceleration from OD to third I will get stuttering as the car tries to downshift. I hit the OD button and I am finding that is not helping, well sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. I also noticed at one point, coming to a complete stop slight stuttering from the car, right under 1,000 rpms sitting at a light. I will throw the car in neutral and it seems to smooth out.

I usually am not having a problem when she shifts through the gears and I try local driving with OD off - again this only happens sometimes - it is not constant so basically when I am waiting for it to happen to try and remember what gear I am in or RPM, its fine. Then when I stop paying attention, it might creep up, lol.

I have my OBOII computer interface that I can run to my laptop so I can monitor shift points and possibly try to graph out when this happens, just have not gotten to that point yet.

I checked the fluid a few times, especially after a drive - clean, full and no metal shavings at all.

Being that the car only has 30,400 miles on it, I am also assuming that the fluid might have never been changed, so I am thinking of changing that in the next few weeks.

Any thoughts? Is this related to the factory shifting programing? I have seen a bunch of threads that usual result to that - and to get a tune to address which I am okay with doing. I am not really used to these transmissions, as all my other vehicles were Vics - besides that frankinvic I built with my extra Marauder motor and tranny, but I never drove that much so I dont have a general feel.

Thanks all
    2003 Marauder, stock all through - the garage queen with 30,xxx miles
    Also goes by central50, for those who know...

Change the fluid ASSP.
    Recommended maintenance is at 30,000 mile intervals on the transmission . First time I had to change the fluid I had the same symptoms. Cleared up after changing the fluid. Drop the pan and inspect.
    Clean off magnet and replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BLACKMARAUDER04 View Post
    Change the fluid ASSP.
    Recommended maintenance is at 30,000 mile intervals on the transmission . First time I had to change the fluid I had the same symptoms. Cleared up after changing the fluid. Drop the pan and inspect.
    Clean off magnet and replace.

Sounds good! I took a look at the service history and did not see it changed, and figured when I bought the car at 30,000 the place did not do that either, which is fine because I wanted to drop the pan anyway and inspect. I will try to knock that out this weekend or next, then if the issues go away I will maybe to do the tune next

Thank you sir!

Actually one other question- and I know this has been debated over and over, but thought I asked due to the age of the fluid and the miles and the fact that the transmission is acting most likely because of the fluid.. do you guys recommend a flush over a pan drop and drain? I figure the pan drop I would get the majority of the fluid out after a few changes, but being the age of the fluid.. just wondering because my local dealer is is two week wait for appointments.

Oem shift schedule is terrible, designed to get to OD for economy. So in and out of Third,OD is common. Get a tune from MOs Speed Shop here in vendor forum. He is member but does not frequent as often. Most of us have a MOs tune. It improves shift schedule to keep car in power band and not hunt and search back and forth. It harms nothing, downloads thru OBDII port on a SCT xcal. The xcal then stores the oem program that can be reloaded if ever needed. Can all be done over phone, email, usps. Car will feel like a new car and 800 lbs. lighter.
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Do yourself a favor and buy a pan plug for future drains.

And I’ll save you the freak out post “What is this white bobber looking thing I found laying in my pan??!!”

It was originally a plug for the dipstick tube. Throw it away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post

And I’ll save you the freak out post “What is this white bobber looking thing I found laying in my pan??!!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    My 'freak out bobber' was yellow....

https://www.mercurymarauder.net/foru...at!&highlight=
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

Quote Originally Posted by RubberCtyRauder View Post
    Oem shift schedule is terrible, designed to get to OD for economy. So in and out of Third,OD is common. Get a tune from MOs Speed Shop here in vendor forum. He is member but does not frequent as often. Most of us have a MOs tune. It improves shift schedule to keep car in power band and not hunt and search back and forth. It harms nothing, downloads thru OBDII port on a SCT xcal. The xcal then stores the oem program that can be reloaded if ever needed. Can all be done over phone, email, usps. Car will feel like a new car and 800 lbs. lighter.
    Sounds good, I will reach out to him regarding the tune. From what you said and what I have read, this seems to be the best option overall anyhow.

justbob

Will do, looks like it makes future changes a breeze to be done when I do my oil changes.

I was able to get into a dealership on Friday for the flush, unless anyone thinks I am better off just dropping the pan and doing a few cycles of that? Either way I am going to need to drop the pan, replace the filter, check the magnet and install the plug..

Do not flush.. drop the trans pan. Its not that much more in labor. Speakership is expensive.

2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Quote Originally Posted by BLACKMARAUDER04 View Post
    Do not flush.. drop the trans pan. Its not that much more in labor. Speakership is expensive.

Okay makes sense, the money that would of been spent on the flush can be spent on the pan and filter, so looks like I will drop the pan tomorrow instead of going to the dealer

Wow! $20.66 at Amazon. However, I like to change the filter and look at the magnet every 30,000 miles rather than just drain the pan. Plus the gasket is re-usable.

Also make sure what you are feeling is not ignition coils failing, kind of strange bucking under light load

2003 Marauder Purchased Feb. 2021 from original owner 62,000 miles
    Cylinder Head Cooling Mod from Marty
    K&N Cold Air Intake
    SCT 4 with custom Tune
    Stainless Works Cat Back exhaust with Magnaflow 10416 mufflers
    4:10 gears with Cobra Carbon posi disc and Ford Girdle cover
    Real Oil pressure gauge Autometer
    Morimoto XB LED fog lights from Panther Lights
    Headlight bulbs GTR Lighting Ultra 2.0 from Panther Lights
    TCI Trans. Pan
    Aeromotive 340 fuel pump

As mentioned, get a deeper pan with a drain plug or put a drain plug in your pan. Every oil change or every other change drain the tranny fluid and add new fluid. You might also want to add an extra tranny fluid cooler.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information