Thread: boost gauge line - best place to tap into?

boost gauge line - best place to tap into?

Hey Guys,
    finishing up the gauge install...easy stuff last. What is the best location (vacuum line) to tee in the plastic "T" for the plastic boost line back to the gauge? I routed the line through a hole I drilled in the firewall near the brake booster & computer.

Thanks
    -KK
    '03 Silver Birch. Stock rebuilt 4.L 32V DOHC, V7-JT blower w/ADTR racing supercharger kit, Shift kit in transmission, stainless works long pipes and cat backs, Ridetech coil-overs front, shocks in back (ADTR kit). Rebuilt calipers, upgraded front rotors, OEM Mercury wheels, [boost, oil P, WB fuel/air, and fuel pressure] gauges. Build duration was Dec 2019 to Mar 2022. 8 rib serp belt upgrade i/p.

I have mine on the upper intake port. I'll try to get a pic for You.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

boost gauge line - best place to tap into?

Unless You're doing Eaton swap then it would have to go on the back part of the blower I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[/QUOTE]

No swap...1st time install Vortech V7-JT SC.
    Thanks!
    -KK
    '03 Silver Birch. Stock rebuilt 4.L 32V DOHC, V7-JT blower w/ADTR racing supercharger kit, Shift kit in transmission, stainless works long pipes and cat backs, Ridetech coil-overs front, shocks in back (ADTR kit). Rebuilt calipers, upgraded front rotors, OEM Mercury wheels, [boost, oil P, WB fuel/air, and fuel pressure] gauges. Build duration was Dec 2019 to Mar 2022. 8 rib serp belt upgrade i/p.

Pretty much anywhere that’s easy. Right under the wiper cowl there is a vacuum manifold. Pick a line and plumb it.

Once you hit 20-26#s of boost you’ll want to at minimum use super glue on that connection as well as the climate control vacuum line. Been there! Twice..

SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Like Bob said, Tee into any vacuum line.
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

JB...somehow I feel like you have defined my future path...swearing at the "climate control vacuum line"

Learn from all our trials and you won't be in that position
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

Has anyone tried installing a check valve before the vacuum manifold? There's been mention of the lines blowing off at higher boost levels, mine is nowhere near that territory yet.....
    I'm assuming it's not fun to get the lines off if needed once they're glued on.
    2003 300a Trilogy #? 4.10s
    2000 Excursion limited v10
    1997 F350 7.3 5spd 4x4 (service truck)
    1992 Taurus SHO vortec SC 5spd
    1971 GMC 2500 pickup
    1971 GMC 2500 suburban 4x4
    1967 Camaro (basket case)

Quote Originally Posted by Grimrepairman View Post
    Has anyone tried installing a check valve before the vacuum manifold? There's been mention of the lines blowing off at higher boost levels, mine is nowhere near that territory yet.....
    I’m eventually going to convert everything over to AN and utilize one of these. It’s just taking the time to itemize a list as pretty much everything will need tapped. And my attention span is slipping away the older I get..! But it is literally the last thing on my to do lists I think?

I haven’t had a single issue since those two blew off in the early days of this go round. Mainly I’m just wanting to clean up what few I have left and bullet proof them like I did my fully welded pipes. I’ve seen enough pipe blow offs to know I won’t be that guy. LOL It’s embarrassing enough just to witness it!

SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimrepairman View Post
    I know of 4 MMs that lost an engine because the system was plumbed incorrect.

muscle,
    you got my attention! what kind of plumbing error and what conditions cause these engine losses you speak of?
    I plumbed my boost gauge line into the main "vacuum" line coming off the upper intake manifold. It is tee'd in with the bypass valve that came with the blower kit from ADTR.

boost_gauge_t.jpg
    1st arrow left is main vac line off intake manifold
    2nd arrow left is blower bypass valve line - runs to front ~ under pass headlight
    3 arrow left is tee in for plastic line that goes off to boost gauge

Yours is set up fine. Musclemerc is probably referring to someone who used check valves or something in their vacuum system. The most important thing for you is that the vacuum going to the blow off valve is very reliable! I personally like to have a dedicated line that's only hooked up to the blow off and nothing else. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

My boost gauge is tee’d into the main line and my BOV is fed off the passenger side intake with a small tee for the fuel regulator. Absolutely nothing nice to look at or even planned for that matter but works fine. Keep in mind I have blue toothed all emission related items now except cats so I don’t have too many lines anymore, not even for fuel.

*Deep breath* It was one of those last minute at around mid nite before loading it on the trailer and throwing front bumper, headlights, grille, suitcase, and tools in the back of the truck like I stole it to hit my 8AM dyno but 10 1/2 hour drive away using what I had in stock moments.. *Exhale* We all have those don’t we?

Like I said, literally the last thing left to clean up but I’ve been lazy.

SOLD 12/31/2021

Quote Originally Posted by blazen71 View Post
    Yours is set up fine. Musclemerc is probably referring to someone who used check valves or something in their vacuum system. The most important thing for you is that the vacuum going to the blow off valve is very reliable! I personally like to have a dedicated line that's only hooked up to the blow off and nothing else. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
    Blazen,
    Thanks very much

Thread Information