Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re: Advice Requested / Front Coils & Stance

Re: Advice Requested / Front Coils & Stance

I am asking for any advice from those who changed out their front coils to Eaton. I have had to recently replace the front springs and shocks in my MM. The OEM ones are obsolete. The dealer replaced the old ones for a set of aftermarket Monroe Coilovers that sit at the same height as the OEM Grand Marquis coils, which are too tall. I had no knowledge of the difference in height until afterwards. I have read on this site about Eibach, which are no longer in production. I am hesitant about cutting a coil as I am a bit too old to do any more custom mods. For those who switched out their front coils to Eaton, did you do "stock height" or a "1 inch drop" or "1.5 inch drop" to achieve the original OEM stance? If I go the Eaton route, should I also change the shock to KYB as the reps at Eaton advise? I am looking to change the current stance in Picture 1 to what I believe was the correct original OEM stance in Picture 2. Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Ambitious1; 07-04-2021 at 09:21 AM.

Heyyy...is there a Kaladi brothers coffee in NY? Ive only seen them in Anchorage and Denver!

Oh, and on the suspension front, I wish I knew..since my factories were in my mechanics garage on the junk pile...BUT, you can always do the ADTR route with new coilovers, or I know some pals will chip in! Alos, check out our many Marauder mechanics, I bet they have springs around: Mo's in Dallas, GA and Curless Automotive in Grand Rapids, MI.
    2003 300A
    Widened Rear Wheels with 295 45 Nitto G2's
    Eaton Swapped by Curless
    Brake Upgrade
    Mo's Tune
    JLT Intake
    Addco Sway Bars
    ADTR Coil Over Suspension
    Metco Control Arms & Watts Link
    SW Headers and Exhaust
    Accessories By FastBlackMerc
    4.10 Gears
    Aeroforce Gauges
    Pantherlights Headlamps

Heard many of unhappy people with Eaton springs. They don't drop the height and Eaton won't back it up. I got some Eaton leaf springs once and they sucked. Took them out and scrap yard. Cut a coil..or check CSS in like Kansas. Custom Spring Specialties or something
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Re: Advice Requested / Front Coils & Stance

I agree with the above regarding the stories on Eaton. I’ve also read my fair share of Eibach you mentioned riding terrible.

Cutting the springs one coil and adding Monroe severe duty shocks was my very first mod I believe. It had immediate results in the looks department, night and day difference in cornering, but suffered a tad in ride quality. Flash forward 10+ years and the looks are absolutely killer, cornering is even better unless you encounter bumps, and the ride is absolutely GARBAGE.

I truly believe our only real choice is the previously mentioned coilovers. Anything else will either sit too high, suffer ride quality, or both. I’ve been against throwing more money at this old taxi cab but I think I’ll be reassessing that thought shortly..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

What I think is that they gave you the coil over that will fit the police interceptor, AFAIK the interceptor is the only one panther that seats about 1" taller from the rest of the panthers (or maybe the fleet too). If you buy aftermarket is almost warrantied that the car will seat taller because they just want to make one product to fit all.
    I can be wrong but I think the grand marquis seats the same height as the marauder, the wheels make the difference. Motorcraft still makes coilovers for grand marquis and crown vics, If I was to change them I would get those instead of aftermarket, how tall they sit and how soft/stiff they are?, who knows.

motorcraft coilovers part number, ASTL37
    2003 Mercury Grandma on steroids

Save up and get the ADTR Ridetech kit. It's pricey but you get adjustability, ride comfort and most importantly, a million mile warranty.
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

Quote Originally Posted by blazen71 View Post
    Save up and get the ADTR Ridetech kit. It's pricey but you get adjustability, ride comfort and most importantly, a million mile warranty.
    For those who did the ADTR Ridetech kit, was it plug-n-play? Any modifications needed for installation? Was it a one-time installation and adjustment? Are there any continuous adjustments needed three months or six months or later after installation?

Quote Originally Posted by Ambitious1 View Post
    For those who did the ADTR Ridetech kit, was it plug-n-play? Any modifications needed for installation? Was it a one-time installation and adjustment? Are there any continuous adjustments needed three months or six months or later after installation?
    Although we can tell you there are no mods needed and YES you can set them up, get an alignment and ride...the ADTR website has installation guides, instructional videos, and the owner answers his phone. I'm only saying this because there's always someone with bad information (Not us of course...Ha!) but this time you can hear this from the source!
    2003 300A
    Widened Rear Wheels with 295 45 Nitto G2's
    Eaton Swapped by Curless
    Brake Upgrade
    Mo's Tune
    JLT Intake
    Addco Sway Bars
    ADTR Coil Over Suspension
    Metco Control Arms & Watts Link
    SW Headers and Exhaust
    Accessories By FastBlackMerc
    4.10 Gears
    Aeroforce Gauges
    Pantherlights Headlamps

I just got them this season, so unfortunately I cannot answer the above questions on readjustment, but that is a good question! ADTR does sell a version of the kit that is slightly taller so you can retain factory ride height if that interests anyone.
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

I just got them this season, so unfortunately I cannot answer the above questions on readjustment, but that is a good question! ADTR does sell a version of the kit that is slightly taller so you can retain factory ride height if that interests anyone.
    You just got the ADTR Ridetech? Would you have any current pictures of how the high or low the front wheels look?

Not yet. Are you referring to the max and min height of the stock height kit?

In my Opinion, if you run your car in winter, salt..I would not do Ridetech. Aluminum framed shock and no boot..aluminum and salt corrode.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Mine have been on since fall of 2017, not daily driver not winter and haven't touched them. They are firm, but I got 700 lb springs since blower. They come with 650 lb springs but can be changed to whatever you want with order, no charge to swap.. 500-800 lb I think they offer

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Do you know is it a taller spring for stock ride height ? Do they also offer different spring rates for stock ride height ? Why wouldn't ride height just be adjusted at the collar to avoid a second kit ?
    2004 marauder black purchased new. Sold 9/16 at 297,000 miles. Still ran strong didn't burn a drop of oil.
    2003 marauder black 28,000 miles all stock. Garage Queen.
    2004 marauder red daily driver.

Not yet. Are you referring to the max and min height of the stock height kit?
    I am just curious to see what the height looks like with the ADTR Ridetech once it is installed and settled. I miss the original OEM stance and I am curious as to what the final result will look like before I invest the money for Ridetech.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information