Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Powerplant Transplant

Powerplant Transplant

I live more than 130 miles from any place else. Once a month, we go to a city to shop with our 2011 Crown Victoria. While looking for 18 X 8" aluminum wheels, I found a wrecked 2003 Lincoln Aviator with the Romero Intech 4.6L 32V V8. Also found a 2008 Lincoln Town Car with rear air suspension in fair condition, but that's another story.
    Any one know any one who's done a transplant before?
    Most folks solve battery / air inlet filter location problem with a long cold air tube crossing behind the radiators or street side inlet throttle body install. TBT, I miss "fly by wire" throttle bodies and PCM can mute / ignore throttle plate motor drive (I have the hex address codes). But, there are big software differences between 2008 - 2011 Panther and 2003 - 2005 Marauder PCMs.
    I don't know no one who can re-flash a 2008 - 2011 PCM to control this engine then tune then re-tune it then re-tune it again.
    HELP! TANX!
    Last edited by Chico Baravelli; 05-22-2021 at 09:50 AM.

Be easier and cheaper to just buy a Marauder.

I hate to say it...but!
    From my experience and LOTS of money spent, I wouldn't drop another nickel on any 4.6L engine.
    (Terminator Cobra motor is the ONLY 4.6L worth a nickel....and note; it is bulletproof from the factory AND it has a blower bolted onto it....and I still wouldn't buy one.)

Coyote 5.0 FTW!!

....or stick with the unmodded, big, overweight, complex, underpowered turd 4.6L.

I was a HUGE fan of the 4.6L DOHC when the Marauder debuted....
    19 years ago.

Technology advances and the 4.6L has been left behind.

5.0 Coyotes are making 480HP....N/A

Better flowing heads
    Bigger valves
    Better spring package
    Better intake manifold
    Better camshafts
    Variable valve timing
    Higher compression ratio
    Port and Direct FI
    Forged crank
    Stronger rods
    Stronger pistons
    Better aluminum block
    + 178 HP
    + 102 Lb-Ft TRQ
    Better fuel mileage too!

Junkyard F150 Coyote is also a nice option.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Joe Walsh; 05-30-2021 at 08:57 AM.
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

What you’re saying about the power comparisons between the 4.6 and the coyote 5.0 are true. However a lot of people prefer the 4.6 even when making big power due to its simplicity and strength. The iron block and the Nimek block being the strongest. I’ve read some stuff by engine builders and racers saying that the 4.6 is really the better design and stronger of the 2 still. But in stock form, you’re absolutely right.

"Be easier and cheaper to just buy a Marauder." - Senor Muchacho
    Not around here. Besides, I like the re-contented 2008 - 2011 Panthers.

Coyote 5.0 FTW!! -
    Joe Walsh
    Major PCM issues. Reflashing for a 4V is tough enough.
    "power comparisons between the 4.6 and the coyote 5.0 are true." - Blakshukvw
    Vehicle is a daily driver and long distance strategic bomber. After passing enough triple trailers on two lane highways, I realize vehicle needs more low - mid range torque and I want to keep the 2.73 RAR. High octane fuel is approaching $4.00 a gallon. Kalifornia prices are more insane and quality is not the best on the Left Coast. Never want to pre-detonate again. Willing to lose 10 - 15% MPG for the 300+ HP.

MIRC delete unless someone talks me out of this.
    Just listed 400 miles away a 2005 Aviator. Wish me LUCK.

That aviator engine will need Marauder SPECIFIC front timing cover and serpentine setup, oil pick up tube, oil pan, intake manifolds... both upper and lower, both motor mounts, BOTH exhaust manifolds.... no the 2 valve cop car manifolds are completely different design for exhaust ports.. Marty at MO speed shop in Dallas GEORGIA. Had a brain fart. will be able to tune it, but id ditch the fly by wire gas pedal, you might need to go with a micro squirt to keep all oem electronics working, and get the 4 valve working. You would be money ahead by swapping in a 3 valve mustang engine.
    Last edited by Turbov6Bryan; 05-24-2021 at 03:47 PM.
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

Turbov6Bryan ... Marty at MO speed shop in Dallas TEXAS ...

Mo's Speed Shop
    212 White Park Dr
    Dallas, GA 30132-5016 *That's Georgia.

"Coyote 5.0 FTW!!" - Joe Walsh
    More I learn, less I know. But, you may be right ... again.

"... a micro squirt to keep all oem electronics working" -Turbov6Bryan
    Not the MegaSquirt? Main issues are the VCT and MIRC. Intent is keep current 2011 PCM active RAS and digital dash display functions.
    "... id ditch the fly by wire gas pedal."
    But I like passive throttle assemblies. Watch active TPS and TCM voltages and the lag before WOT. UGH. Right foot driver input is only a mere suggestion. I learned to stomp on it two yellows before the green. Current PCM CAN-B will communicate with legacy speed control modules.

Appears I have four choices. Keep this Panther a Panther with DOHC Head, Intake, Exhaust (etc) exchange and supercharge it; DOHC engine (etc) swap and N/A or 5.0 Coyote engine swap (that power plant is the last mid-size "gasoline" V8 engine Ford will ever make). I live in a small town where the police chief builds super engines. He says "Drop in an LS and be done with it."
    TANX!

Doesn't John in South Haven have a Marauder engine in his GM? Don't think he lurks here any more
    1963 Marauder S-55, Super Marauder 406
    Only factory 406 powered Marauder, and earliest built Marauder documented to still exist.
    https://sites.google.com/a/wmich.edu/supermarauder/
    ______________________________ _____________

First retailed 2003 Marauder
    Bought 6 June 2002

Quote Originally Posted by kirk View Post
    Doesn't John in South Haven have a Marauder engine in his GM? Don't think he lurks here any more
    Yep for many years now. SICK car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Yes the micro squirt is a simple and easy bolt in system. Has less features.

I suggested it to run the 4.6 which does not have vvt or and type of altering cam timing.

You could use it to run the engine, I see can bus issues trying to run a cable version throttle body, vs current fly by wire.
    or maybe Marty can tune it , I don’t know.

Using a aftermarket fuel management, your other factory computers will function the same, so will the digital dash with a module and air ride will function the same.

looks like a bunch of work
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

kirk - Doesn't John in South Haven have a Marauder engine in his GM?
    Cobra engine (ya, I know picky, picky, picky).

*In case the image is a no-show ... <PIC>

Don't think he lurks here any more
    Last word I got from him (Dec'18) was - "Sold house in South Haven a the end of August and moved to our little house near Leland.
    Last edited by gdmjoe; 05-24-2021 at 06:22 PM.

The Coyote 5.0 is bulletproof, unlike the 4.6L which has bad cooling on the upper cylinders and plastic timing chain guides.
    It is virtually impossible to swap in California for a reasonable price due to CARB regulations. However, if I had the $$, I would drop in this:
    FORD PERFORMANCE 5.3L MODULAR STROKER SHORTBLOCK Part # M-6009-B53. Because, I need to pull the engine, drop the oil pan, and putt in new timing chain parts for my 4.6L.I would use the heads from my Marauder and port. Then a new tune from MartyO. $6200 + all the labor vs. $1300 + parts is way too expensive for me.
    Because it is 4.6L based, no problem with Smog rules.
    Last edited by BLACKMARAUDER04; 05-26-2021 at 08:38 AM.

Within 450 miles; 200K with low end knock cylinder(s) 7 and / or 8 - $400.00. 216K overheats with radiator coolant flowing from curb side head gasket - $500.00. Both include exhaust manifolds, PCM and wiring. Have not found a wrecked Aviator yet so you know either the engine or the radio is blown.
    Buy two, make one good one?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information