Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Powerplant Transplant

Another option. 3.5L EcoBoost. The Good; variable cam timing, direct fuel injection and the PCM operation. The Bad; variable cam timing, direct fuel injection and the PCM replacement / repair. Plus a high pressure fuel pump. Engine will fit in the trunk. "Closed box". Not much one can do aftermarket to improve induction except a larger down pipe. Current Ford Police Interceptor engine. Anyone who has experienced a LEO Xped in the rear view mirror from nowhere knows. Cops don't even flip on the light bar until on your rear bumper. Why bother?
    Problem is big city wrecking yards pull this and Coyote engines as soon as they flat bed in then sell them to LKQ. Best to find them in Burley or Miles City or Umatilla or some such town in a big and rich county.
    More I learn the less I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Chico Baravelli View Post
    I live in a small town where the police chief builds super engines. He says "Drop in an LS and be done with it".
    TANX!
    Hey,
    I cant argue with the 'LS' swap proponents....if cost is your main concern, then a junkyard 5.3L LS swap with a Chinese turbo from Ebay is a no brainer.

Personally, I cannot stand non GM vehicles with LS swaps....seems like a PO' ass, lazy man's method of making HP.

LS engines are a victim of their own success.....they are a dime-a-dozen.... ...... .....

One of the cool things about the Marauder is that it is rare and attracts attention.

Last edited by Joe Walsh; 05-30-2021 at 02:19 PM.
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

Have you ever lost a water pump on a 3.5L Ecoboost? Hopefully, the oil and coolant don’t mix for starters. If it did, toss the engine. Otherwise, your looking at a $2200 repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found four 4.6L Intechs, two Mark 8s and two Aviators. No Coyotes. No EcoBoosts. 2006 - 2007 Panthers are starting to show up. Most are CVPIs with 220 - 250 thousand miles.
    BLACKMARAUDER04: Yer right. And near impossible to find.
    Seems I have four choices:
    NAWZ. Nearest gas retailers are 150 miles away. Out here in the high desert, monster diesel trucks use the welding gas argon.
    Eaton Supercharger. Big problem as of six years ago is inter-cooler reduces intake manifold air flow near 35% and supercharger exhaust back pressures can produce self-destruction. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.
    Rebuilt Intech. Nearest stock machine shop (NAPA) is 130 miles and speed machine shop (Kidd Performance & Dyno) is 300 miles away. Those on the West Coast who NHRA and Invitational will recognize Kidd. $90 an hour. NAPA five engines and Kidd six months backlog.
    Gen 2 Coyote. Bite the bullet, spend big money and enjoy three months of agony.
    Decisions,decisions,decisions.
    Meanwhile, RAS add. Compressor in the trunk. No more room under the air filter box. More friggin' wires to run.

"Why are the Ford trucks in front and Ford cars are always in the back?"
    "Because that's where they belong."

After doin' the parts price / availability thing, decided on pulling the last of the 3rd Generation 4.6L Intechs out of the last of the 1st Generation Aviators and dropping it in the last 3rd Generation Panther. Coyote power and fuel economy is outstanding, but non-availability and prices ($11-12K) are not.
    Last major issue before acceleration are gas prices. 91 Octane is $3.99 - 4.09 ga. 'round here. See fuel prices continuing to rise during President Obama's third term.
    Question: What are the real world MPGs y'all have?

22mpg stock
    20.5 after 4.10 install
    24mpg after bolting on Trilogy with the canned tune (350 RWHP)
    17mpg after custom dynotune at Mo's (409 RWHP)
    20mpg after Stainless Works headers and custom 3" exhaust and re-dynotune at Mo's (436 RWHP)

WLB
    BB#1) 1996 ImpalaSS - 16,500 miles - 100% stock
    ______________________________ ___________

BB#2) 2003 Marauder (300a) - 34k miles - Daily Driver
    #2912 of 7093
    Conceived 8/6/2002
    Delivered 9/19/2002
    Adopted 8/10/2011
    Trilogy 242 - Self Installed 9/9/12 (0-60 5.5 sec)
    Pioneer 6x8 Front
    Legacy 600w 6x9 Rears
    JL 6.5 SubWoofer
    K&N CAI
    Window tint 50% rear/35% front
    FBM CHMSL with Strobe mod 7/1/12
    DR Deep Aluminum Trans Pan
    Sparta FOMOCO Racing 8.8 Girdle
    Mo's Dyno Tune
    Gorilla Nuts - The System
    Ford Racing 4.10s, 31 spline Cobra carrier & axles 7/1/12
    Powder Coat Axle Housing 7/1/12
    CME HP Rear Control Arms & Watts Link 7/1/12
    ______________________________ ________________

Rex "SC Cheesehead" Weinbender 11-14-13
    Ed "Baaad GN" Linthicum 8-6-2014

MyBlackBeasts: Thank you.
    Do get 27-28 mpg @ speed with 2.73 RAR if I keep the right foot light and I wanna keep it that way. Must admit HO2S signals can be modified on demand (open/close loop, lean, leanlean)
    MPG averages were near identical for the 2005 and 2008 CVs I have owned with similar emission modifications.
    EPA says 2005 Linc Aviator Premium Gasoline, City MPG:11, Highway MPG:16, Combined MPG:13. Pimp Navigators are 4WD and weigh near half ton more than Panthers. (EPA II)
    2004 Merc Marauder Premium Gasoline, City MPG:15, Highway MPG:21, Combined MPG:17. (EPA II)
    2005 MGM/FCV 2005 CVPI Regular Gasoline, City MPG:14, Highway MPG:20, Combined MPG:16. (EPA II)
    2005 -2011 MGM/FCV Regular Gasoline, City MPG:16, Highway MPG:24, Combined MPG:19. (EPA II & III)
    2008-2011 MGM/FCV E85, City MPG:12, Highway MPG:17 Combined MPG:14. (EPA III) [Yup.]
    Tend to have better highway and worse city MPGs. Burn 89 or higher octane fuel only.
    4.6L DOHC and SOHC have near the same MPGs. Arduino will better manage 91 octane fuel timing and duration. Believe I can maintain current highway MPG and much improved city with a DOHC. [!TORQUE!]. But 91 Octane is 10 to 15 percent more expensive and our refineries are in Kalifornia. [UGH]
    Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Another issue is exhaust systems. Aviator / Navigator are 2.5", Marauder is 2.25", GM / CV are 2.0". New cats, H-pipe, mufflers and exhaust. That's $2,000+ I will never see again.
    Last edited by Chico Baravelli; 06-02-2021 at 06:48 PM.

Just buy a marauder. My highway car gets 26 at 80. Just a cold air kit and tune
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

Way too much money, time, and effort to throw at a 10 year old mass produced sedan. Throw nitrous and a tune at it and use the power when you want and the gas mileage when you don’t. Done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

... Done. JustBob
    No NOx within 150 miles and I have no idea what argon would do.
    Have been on the bleeding edge of horsepower technology. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Problem with this particular Panther is low end torque [2.73 RAR]. 4R75E will shift into OD @ 1050 RPM / 45 MPH as it should. Speed past peak torque curve in 2nd gear near 80 MPH. Don't need more HP, just more FT/LBS (I own a 2005 CVPI with 3.55 RAR for giggles & grins). Don't wanna be quick, just fast.
    Thought Screw All This and called ADTR. Price is more than engine rebuild, swap and tune but is market appropriate. Chris recognizes my voice. Supercharger kit works with 2011 Panthers, no problems. BUT, Vortec V3 is on back order and intercooler thermal exchange coating will take even longer. 39# fuel injectors are hard to find and expensive when you do and Chris has two spares in stock.
    So, this has me spinning in another direction, electric supercharging. Much more efficient. Northern Europeans have been using them for years and the Chinese are starting to. Found Duryeatech 24 VDC units which may be the best in the world. There will be some engineering involved but that's what I do.
    Last edited by Chico Baravelli; 06-05-2021 at 12:02 PM. Reason: cant spel

Rear gear swap, Marty Ochs tune, Eaton blower using Tork Tech kit
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

... Done. JustBob

No NOx within 150 miles and I have no idea what argon would do.

Have been on the bleeding edge of horsepower technology. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Problem with this particular Panther is low end torque [2.73 RAR]. 4R75E will shift into OD @ 1050 RPM / 45 MPH as it should. Speed past peak torque curve in 2nd gear near 80 MPH. Don't need more HP, just more FT/LBS (I own a 2005 CVPI with 3.55 RAR for giggles & grins). Don't wanna be quick, just fast.
    Thought Screw All This and called ADTR. Price is more than engine rebuild, swap and tune but is market appropriate. Chris recognizes my voice. Supercharger kit works with 2011 Panthers, no problems. BUT, Vortec V3 is on back order and intercooler thermal exchange coating will take even longer. 39# fuel injectors are hard to find and expensive when you do and Chris has two spares in stock.
    So, this has me spinning in another direction, electric supercharging. Much more efficient. Northern Europeans have been using them for years and the Chinese are starting to. Found Duryeatech 24 VDC units which may be the best in the world. There will be some engineering involved but that's what I do.

Huh!??

Argon???

Surely you must know that it is an inert gas....it's a great way to put out a fire....not so much for aiding combustion.
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

I use argon for TIG welding
    Ex Panther Owner

"Surely you must know that it is an inert gas....it's a great way to put out a fire....not so much for aiding combustion." - Joe Walsh

Precise observation. Seems argon liquid to gas is endothermic but not as much as NOx. Adding argon gas increases air densities and combustion temperatures and reduces CO, CO2 and NO2 with cooler exhaust temperatures. Seems HO2S sense less exhaust O2 and ECUs / PCMs advance ignition timing. Diesels have been doing this for years using the same throttle risers, injectors and regulators as NOx systems. Plus, it's cheaper.
    Seems argon is not a catalyst and, as it is inert, is not consumed and is recoverable in a closed loop system. Not long ago, at an unsanctioned event at an undisclosed location somewhere in Kali, I saw such a closed loop system in a big Ford diesel truck. Didn't know what it was and team was not talking, but the recovery tank, membrane filter (?) and condenser filled half the bed. Truck hauled *ss!
    Ranchers and herders 'round here are doing argon welding gas to improve diesel engine performance and save money and annoyance of DEF. They also fabricate superior suspensions from old auto and farm equipment that are amazing.
    Yankee ingenuity.
    https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdo...=rep1&type=pdf
    There is more info on da webz but I am now spooling over electronic superchargers.

"Surely you must know that it is an inert gas....it's a great way to put out a fire....not so much for aiding combustion." - Joe Walsh

Precise observation. Seems argon liquid to gas is endothermic but not as much as NOx. Adding argon gas increases air densities and combustion temperatures and reduces CO, CO2 and NO2 with cooler exhaust temperatures. Seems HO2S sense less exhaust O2 and ECUs / PCMs advance ignition timing. Diesels have been doing this for years using the same throttle risers, injectors and regulators as NOx systems. Plus, it's cheaper.
    Seems argon is not a catalyst and, as it is inert, is not consumed and is recoverable in a closed loop system. Not long ago, at an unsanctioned event at an undisclosed location somewhere in Kali, I saw such a closed loop system in a big Ford diesel truck. Didn't know what it was and team was not talking, but the recovery tank, membrane filter (?) and condenser filled half the bed. Truck hauled *ss!
    Ranchers and herders 'round here are doing argon welding gas to improve diesel engine performance and save money and annoyance of DEF. They also fabricate superior suspensions from old auto and farm equipment that are amazing.
    Yankee ingenuity.
    https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdo...=rep1&type=pdf
    There is more info on da webz but I am now spooling over electronic superchargers.
    That is an exceedingly interesting research article! Thanks for sharing. The conclusion is counterintuitive, very cool read. TY

WLB
    BB#1) 1996 ImpalaSS - 16,500 miles - 100% stock
    ______________________________ ___________

BB#2) 2003 Marauder (300a) - 34k miles - Daily Driver
    #2912 of 7093
    Conceived 8/6/2002
    Delivered 9/19/2002
    Adopted 8/10/2011
    Trilogy 242 - Self Installed 9/9/12 (0-60 5.5 sec)
    Pioneer 6x8 Front
    Legacy 600w 6x9 Rears
    JL 6.5 SubWoofer
    K&N CAI
    Window tint 50% rear/35% front
    FBM CHMSL with Strobe mod 7/1/12
    DR Deep Aluminum Trans Pan
    Sparta FOMOCO Racing 8.8 Girdle
    Mo's Dyno Tune
    Gorilla Nuts - The System
    Ford Racing 4.10s, 31 spline Cobra carrier & axles 7/1/12
    Powder Coat Axle Housing 7/1/12