Thread: 150,000 miles! and three quick issues to share...

150,000 miles! and three quick issues to share...

Hi there,

Still Marauding around South eastern PA, got my first speeding ticket in years, plus later a warning ,LOL...car runs great.

Except.....

1.ISSUE 1 : tinny metallic sound from the front of the engine upon start up, then it went away , multiple start ups over the prior month, like a loose heat shroud.

Uh, NO IT WAS THE WATER PUMP GOING BAD. Not one drop of leaking AF or smell, then one day rolling down I-95 ~ 80 mph....alt light comes on, power steering gets hard, temp gauge begins to climb. Threw a belt. Immediately shut her down and coasted into a Enterprise car rental lot. Lots of wobble in the water pump shaft. New Ford water pump took 45 mins to R&R if that long. too bad it wasnt in my driveway , the tow home was $400.

2.ISSUE 2: after going over a big expansion joint , car stalled, immediately restarted, then random stalling and weird DTC's popping up.

Pig tail from fuel pump harness back at the gas tank clips onto the side of the gas tank edge, using a metal spring clamp. Big bump made that pop loose, wires touched the hot exhaust, melting through, grounding the harness to the exhaust pipe. FIX was to resolder and insulate the wires, then zip tie them out of the way, never trusting that cheapo clip again.

3.ISSUE 3 : DTC popping up for low engine coolant temp. Gauge read normal.

There's TWO temp sensors on the engine coolant crossover pipe. Pass side is for the instrument panel temp gauge, drivers side is for the ECM. Drivers side went inoperative after the serpentine belt flew off the pulley (due to ISSUE 1) and broke the connector and wires, was like ten minutes with a soldering iron and some epoxy. Fun fact: higher resistance = LOWER reported temperature, scan tool showed -196F . Then I jumped the connector, looks like high temp is 230F? FYI.

Car works fine now.

Sorry I missed Carlisle! I was out of town...
    Last edited by Agent2006; 06-11-2021 at 03:03 PM.

Anybody else have a water pump go bad/fail. I have 125000 miles and am concerned. Thanks

My water pump failed on my black around 255,000. It is possible my silver's pump isn't circulating quickly enough any more with 183,000 miles.
    I'm thinking it will completely fail soon. I ordered a EMP/Stewart Components 50046S V8 Ford Mustang High Performance Short Style Water Pump - 4.6 L from Amazon.

It uses like 3HP to operate compared to 10-15 for stock.
    Make sure you get a short style pump.

EMP/Stewart Components 50046S V8 Ford Mustang High Performance Short Style Water Pump - 4.6 LEMP/Stewart Components 50046S V8 Ford Mustang High Performance Short Style Water Pump - 4.6 LEMP/Stewart Components 50046S V8 Ford Mustang High Performance Short Style Water Pump - 4.6 L

Quote Originally Posted by johnjamis View Post
    Anybody else have a water pump go bad/fail. I have 125000 miles and am concerned. Thanks
    You're fine. They either work or they don't. Unless you notice coolant weeping out of it or bearing noise or pulley wobble, don't worry about it.

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

Quote Originally Posted by offroadkarter View Post
    They either work or they don't.
    Not completely true, here's a rare one for you.

Had a car (Dodge Omni I think) towed in to the shop with an overheat problem. Did all the normal stuff like Tstat, coolant flow test, no combustion gasses in coolant, etc. It still would get hot when under load. Even though I could see the coolant flowing I decided to pull the pump. There it was! The pump (OEM) was made with a plastic impeller pressed on the shaft. The impeller split so it would be tight enough to pump coolant at idle but woulds slip on the shaft when driving and low flow the coolant and cause overheat. Installed new pump (with metal impeller) and cured the issue. I never used any pump with plastic impeller after that.

WLB
    BB#1) 1996 ImpalaSS - 16,500 miles - 100% stock
    ______________________________ ___________

BB#2) 2003 Marauder (300a) - 34k miles - Daily Driver
    #2912 of 7093
    Conceived 8/6/2002
    Delivered 9/19/2002
    Adopted 8/10/2011
    Trilogy 242 - Self Installed 9/9/12 (0-60 5.5 sec)
    Pioneer 6x8 Front
    Legacy 600w 6x9 Rears
    JL 6.5 SubWoofer
    K&N CAI
    Window tint 50% rear/35% front
    FBM CHMSL with Strobe mod 7/1/12
    DR Deep Aluminum Trans Pan
    Sparta FOMOCO Racing 8.8 Girdle
    Mo's Dyno Tune
    Gorilla Nuts - The System
    Ford Racing 4.10s, 31 spline Cobra carrier & axles 7/1/12
    Powder Coat Axle Housing 7/1/12
    CME HP Rear Control Arms & Watts Link 7/1/12
    ______________________________ ________________

Rex "SC Cheesehead" Weinbender 11-14-13
    Ed "Baaad GN" Linthicum 8-6-2014

Quote Originally Posted by MyBlackBeasts View Post
    Not completely true, here's a rare one for you.

Had a car (Dodge Omni I think) towed in to the shop with an overheat problem. Did all the normal stuff like Tstat, coolant flow test, no combustion gasses in coolant, etc. It still would get hot when under load. Even though I could see the coolant flowing I decided to pull the pump. There it was! The pump (OEM) was made with a plastic impeller pressed on the shaft. The impeller split so it would be tight enough to pump coolant at idle but woulds slip on the shaft when driving and low flow the coolant and cause overheat. Installed new pump (with metal impeller) and cured the issue. I never used any pump with plastic impeller after that.
    Alright maybe I was being a bit too blunt with my post, I mean BMW uses plastic water pumps and those tend to explode often. I've also seen cases of people running straight water in cooling systems and the fins on the water pump rust away.

But at the very least in a properly maintained cooling system the pumps in our cars should have no problem cracking 200k.

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

Mine bit the dust at under 50,000. Still looked and rotated fine, but had started to weep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Thanks for all of the water pump reliability responses. John

Quote Originally Posted by offroadkarter View Post
    Alright maybe I was being a bit too blunt with my post, I mean BMW uses plastic water pumps and those tend to explode often. I've also seen cases of people running straight water in cooling systems and the fins on the water pump rust away.

But at the very least in a properly maintained cooling system the pumps in our cars should have no problem cracking 200k.
    Yep, just wanted to share that store as it is a rarity.

WLB
    BB#1) 1996 ImpalaSS - 16,500 miles - 100% stock
    ______________________________ ___________

BB#2) 2003 Marauder (300a) - 34k miles - Daily Driver
    #2912 of 7093
    Conceived 8/6/2002
    Delivered 9/19/2002
    Adopted 8/10/2011
    Trilogy 242 - Self Installed 9/9/12 (0-60 5.5 sec)
    Pioneer 6x8 Front
    Legacy 600w 6x9 Rears
    JL 6.5 SubWoofer
    K&N CAI
    Window tint 50% rear/35% front
    FBM CHMSL with Strobe mod 7/1/12
    DR Deep Aluminum Trans Pan
    Sparta FOMOCO Racing 8.8 Girdle
    Mo's Dyno Tune
    Gorilla Nuts - The System
    Ford Racing 4.10s, 31 spline Cobra carrier & axles 7/1/12
    Powder Coat Axle Housing 7/1/12
    CME HP Rear Control Arms & Watts Link 7/1/12
    ______________________________ ________________

Rex "SC Cheesehead" Weinbender 11-14-13
    Ed "Baaad GN" Linthicum 8-6-2014

Water pump failure is rare UNTIL IT HAPPENS TO YOU.

My 2006 MGM is still going strong at 157,000 original water pump. This one on the MM failed at 145,000. The MM has a long history of being ridden hard, put away wet. Don't know how that rags out the water pump, though...

A new Motorcraft water pump from Amazon was $58.98, free shipping.

The tow home cost me $400. So, if you hear that tinny, metallicky ratting on start up from the front of the engine, you may want to pre-emptively replace it. Takes 45 mins.

Just an opinion....

Quote Originally Posted by johnjamis View Post
    I'd replace it. Cheap and easy to do. Laso replace the belt, keep old one in trunk as a spare.

If you don't want to get stuck, preventative maintenance is key.

Regular oil & filter changes (5K), coolant flush, replace water pump, hoses & thermostat (50K), new plugs (30K - 50K), serpentine belt (50K), brake fluid flush & refill (50K), tranny fluid (partial refill - every oil change, I have a drain plug in my pan), power steering drain and refill (50K), rear end drain and refill (75K).
    Last edited by fastblackmerc; 06-14-2021 at 10:46 AM.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Thanks for the info!

I changed my water pump to the Stewart in the high 180k mileage because of an occasional high temp under high loads; subsequently, I learned of the burp procedure and added an extra .75 gallons over what I drained out. Trigger happy on the parts cannon I guess. Old water pump appeared to be in good shape, it's in a box in the garage.

I had a similar car dying issue after a surprise 40 miles on a dirt road in Idaho (the alternative was an extra 6 hours of highway, I'd take the dirt any day, just rather in the vic instead), anyways, turns out my positive battery connector was corroded through and the dirt shook it loose.

Good to know about which temp sensor feeds which output! Thanks!

180000 on original water pump and still good; nice. Makes me feel better. I think I will wait til 150000 to change it.

Thread Information