Thread: Another cylinder #8 misfire :D

Thumbs down Another cylinder #8 misfire :D

where do I start... will make it simple and short.

about 4 years ago I replaced ALL seals and gaskets, timing chains and components, and fuel pump and fuel screeners and filter, while I had the engine out I also added the rear cooling mod. so car performed good until three months ago.

issue is a missfire in #8, replaced spark plugs, replaced coils with some cheap ass brand, problem didn't solved so I re-replaced them again with motorcraft and the issue persisted, then replaced the fuel injector with motorcraft one and the issue still persists.
    Is it possible that I'm having the famous valve seat issue? I am planning to pull a head from an aviator at the yard and send it to get rectified and pretty much all ready to get it replaced but before I do that I'd like to see if anyone has any input or more ideas as to what's causing this? Could the PCM be the issue?
    2003 Mercury Grandma on steroids

Thought about putting navi heads but in a stock application they will suck lol. Disregarding the idea now.
    Last edited by GoldPanther; 06-23-2021 at 04:09 PM.

Start with a compression test before you tear anything apart.
    You definately covered everything.

Oh man thanks, I completely forgot about it. , I will check on that then I will know for sure. by any chance do you happen to know what are limits of acceptance? I guess I will find out right away when the compression escapes.

Thank you!

In case you’re in need of a head rebuild these guys did me real good on my heads. Super quick turn around and right at average pricing or below. Nice sarcastic smart ass car guys, we got along absolutely great. They REALLY came through when I messed up and forgot to add my cam gear spacer and bent 5 brand new S.S. Valves.. I gave them same day notice I was bringing it in and they had it all re checked and those valves replaced in under an hour and told me to just give their guy lunch money LOL.

Built-Rite engine rebuilders

1 (630) 629 4021

958 N Du Page Ave
    Lombard, IL 60148
    United States

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Man they really caught my attention, sadly it seems that the shop is permanently closed.
    I was thinking to wait for an 05 aviator to arrive at the junk yard so I can he the heads, I'd like to have the latest and revised version with better coolant flow and 9 thread spark plug bore. If anything I know of a small shop in villa Park that can check the heads, maybe while I have the heads put I can have them install new valve seals. I still need to find out if there's no compression. Worse case scenario is a bad piston lol

You need to do a LEAK DOWN test to diagnose a possible burnt exhaust valve. NOT a compression test.
    Neil
    2003 Mercury Marauder - DBP/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - BLK/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - SB/LF
    2004 Mercury Marauder - DTR/LF
    1964 Mercury Marauder - BLK/BLK

Why a leak down as opposed to compression?
    03 MM, DBP, Charcoal, 6disk, HS, organizer, spoiler Mods: Z&M arms, Beamtech Led headlight bulbs, LED turns, ditch, tails, reverse & interior(blue), oil deflector, U-Hall Tranny pan. running stock size Cooper Zeon RS3-G1

02 SL500 Silver Arrow - first aid kit delete, maybe for sale

08 Town Car Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

Leak down will tell ya where the loss of compression is.

Not needed in this case since the OP already is on the hunt for used heads and plans to refresh them with new valves anyway.

Update, Did a compression test, cylinder #8 it's at mid 80s when the rest of the cylinders are 150. no wonder why the stalling comes only when idle at red lights with the A/C on. it's a random thing but now I know that one of the valves is letting that precious air thru, knowing how common this is I am sure it's the exhaust valve. car is not worth 2k, not sure to spend another 2k to fix it LOL.

I don’t know man, valve job vs a new to you unknown vehicle? I tend to keep my vehicles a lot longer nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Thread Information