Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Suspension Light on all of a sudden

Air Suspension Light on all of a sudden

I hopped in the Marauder today to take it to work (it was sitting for a week or so since I drove it last) and as I was pulling in the parking lot I noticed the air suspension light on! I don't remember hearing (but I wasn't listening for) the air suspension pump kicking on. I know in the past it usually turned on for like a minute and that was it. I haven't driven the car in about a week and IIRC, the car was sitting "level" when I left the house, too. Right now, after doing some thread searching, I turned the switch in the trunk to "off" while I am at work to prevent any air leakage through solenoids etc. Right now, the car is sitting level (no "rake" like it usually has).
    I'm guessing if the air bags were bad, the car would be sitting on the frame by now. Otherwise, I would guess that this would most likely be a compressor issue? When I get home, what should I check to make sure it's not something easy?

"RescuRauder", Born on 09/02/2003 & rescued on 04/05/2013. #236 of 3214 and #62 of 1237 in Black. CAI, Some kind of tune, Kooks Headers, X-pipe w/Hi-Flow cats, Magnaflow mufflers, Resonators removed, 4.10's, Metco U&L CA and Watts link, Drilled & slotted rotors, now BOOSTED!! Eaton Swapped 12/29/19!!
    Sold! 1986 Mustang GT Vert, Black, 5spd, new short block, Powerheads, Crower 15511, gears, exhaust etc.

1968 Ford (Galaxie) XL fastback, 390, factory buckets & auto on floor
    2011 Shelby GT500, Kona Blue with SVT Performance Pkg & Navigation, VMP tuned ~550rwhp/550rwtq. Finally Blown!

Turn the key to the ON position and listen for the pump. Did you ever drill some bigger holes in the pump well? If not the pump may be toast if it has been sitting in water.

The sensor probably detached from the bracket. Common

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
    Turn the key to the ON position and listen for the pump. Did you ever drill some bigger holes in the pump well? If not the pump may be toast if it has been sitting in water.
    Anytime I have looked under the hood, that area is completely dry. The car rarely gets driven in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    The sensor probably detached from the bracket. Common
    Zack, are you talking about the ride height sensors in the rear?

"RescuRauder", Born on 09/02/2003 & rescued on 04/05/2013. #236 of 3214 and #62 of 1237 in Black. CAI, Some kind of tune, Kooks Headers, X-pipe w/Hi-Flow cats, Magnaflow mufflers, Resonators removed, 4.10's, Metco U&L CA and Watts link, Drilled & slotted rotors, now BOOSTED!! Eaton Swapped 12/29/19!!
    Sold! 1986 Mustang GT Vert, Black, 5spd, new short block, Powerheads, Crower 15511, gears, exhaust etc.

2011 Shelby GT500, Kona Blue with SVT Performance Pkg & Navigation, VMP tuned ~550rwhp/550rwtq. Finally Blown!

Home from work now. The compressor does NOT come on. Everything electrical seems to work ok. So, I'm guessing that rules out a blown fuse since the air suspension shares the power with other things.

Is there a way to put power to the compressor to test it? Which wires would I jump?

Remove the compressor relay in the BJB and jump pins 30 & 87.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    Remove the compressor relay in the BJB and jump pins 30 & 87.
    I tried it with an old piece of speaker wire. Got a couple sparks. But, nothing else happened. I'm gonna try a hard piece of wire to make sure the connection is better.

Just in case, a couple dumb questions:

Does the switch in the trunk need to be on or off?

What about the ignition? Key on or off?

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, just trying to be sure.....

Also, I checked the sensors in the rear...all connected and seem ok.

Jumping the relay bypasses all that stuff...if all you got was sparks, your compressor may be seized.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    Jumping the relay bypasses all that stuff...if all you got was sparks, your compressor may be seized.
    Thanks. That's what I thought. Which pin on the compressor harness is direct power? Maybe I could try that as one last chance before I fork out the dough for a new compressor.

Also, are all the aftermarket compressors pretty much the same? I was leaning toward the Arnott one just because it has a limited lifetime warranty whereas the Suncore one only has one year limited warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by sflrainmaker01 View Post
    Which pin on the compressor harness is direct power?
    The GY/RD wire.

I don't know anything about the Suncore or other units, but I have replaced a few with Arnott units. I like them.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

Thanks for the help! The new air pump seems to work good! I did check all the sensors, etc and they seemed to be in good working order and the bags seemed to be in decent shape too. It seems like the rear is a tad lower than before. I drove the car to work AFTER the new pump was installed and then the car sat for three days. There was no apparent leakage. How long would one expect the bags to hold air without the car being started?

Quote Originally Posted by sflrainmaker01 View Post
    How long would one expect the bags to hold air without the car being started?
    How long do your tires go without needing air? About that long.

The Blackbird sits all winter without being started and loses almost nothing.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

I apologize for resurrecting this old post ... but it seemed better to try and keep all this related information together.

My symptoms are similar to those described by the original poster. My air suspension light suddenly came on today. Rear is a riding a bit low, but not too bad. Having just replaced the air springs on one of my other Marauders, I'm pretty sure they are okay on this car.

So, I tried jumping pins 30 and 87 as described by RF Overlord in post #6. The compressor ran and sounded normal, but the bags did not inflate. No motion in the rear suspension at all.

So, my main question is: Is it possible/likely for the compressor to run but not delivery any air to the springs? I kind of don't see how I could have a major leak in the system, as the suspension is not visibly going down after hours or even days.

Any thoughts?
    Yours truly,
    Meteorite - Royal Oak, Michigan

2003 300A - Black VIN = xxxxxxxxxxx600051 *** Build Date = 3/13/2002
    Best e.t. -- 12.31 @ 111.5 mph *** Now with: Trilogy #220, Alternative Auto Performance Tune + 4.10 Gears +SW headers + Metco control arms + Addco front and rear sta-bars + Dynotech Metal Matrix Driveshaft + Weldcraft widened wheels & MT drag radials.

2003 300B - Blue

And now ... 2003 Black (Trilogy #58)

1962 Mercury Meteor & 1963 Mercury Meteor

No compressor / vent solenoid command from RAS/VAPS Module. Solenoids are parallel wired so initial problem is module. PCM deny command if doors are open (door open / close sensor failure?).
    Will know more later.
    First guess: Relay.
    That black box behind the glove compartment has evolved over the years. Yours may have the EVO - VAPS / RAS which also controls variable speed power steering. AIR, VAPS control moved to the PCM and 2007+ are stand alone RAS. However, Driver Door Module and ABS are involved through the PCM. Second guess: that module. I find them in auto wrecking yards.
    This is all blue smoke. Is the Check Engine Light or the yellow DTC error lamp on? Stupid question, I know. You own a Panther and the CEL is always on. If so, invest in a quality OBDII reader WITH ABS. Panther owner's best friend.
    Last edited by Chico Baravelli; 05-30-2021 at 03:18 PM.

When my air bag light starting coming on, I replaced the compressor. But light was still on. Probably wasn't the compressor. Replaced the bags and everything was fine after that.

But I had noticed that it was riding low in the back when the air suspension light was on so I guess there was some other signs.

After I replaced the bags, I also noticed the compressor noise (coming on) didn't come on as nearly as much as it used to. :-) Suppose it was holding air better and longer with the new bags.
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300B (Daily Driver)
    1988 LTD Crown Victoria S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information