Thread: 300k miles and a sparkplug fell out??

300k miles and a sparkplug fell out??

2004 mostly stock aside from JTL C.A.I. and a tune(from Mo's I'm assuming). Car has just about 300k miles. Aside from some leaks here and there and an occasional issue involving the coolant system and Houston traffic, this car has been fantastic. I love it.

About 6 months ago I was leaving a red light and I heard a knocking under the hood. I pulled off the little cover over the coils and the #1 coil was in pieces and the plug was just laying in the hole. I attempted to replace the plug and the coil but it seems there are no threads left for the plug to grab onto. I haven't driven it since...

I finally have a little money to have some work done so I'm going to take it to a shop. My question is, if they have to open up the engine, is there anything I should have them do while they're in there, considering the high mileage? Would I be better off just dropping in a remanned cobra motor? I would like them to do 4.10s while it's there, and rear axle rebuild then off to paint afterwards. I apologize if this post is in the wrong area. I've been a silent lurker for years but this is my first post. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA

I just had this problem with #5 cylinder.
    The repair requires a sleeve to be installed so the spark plug can be re-installed. You will also have to replace the broken COP. The price for 1 is around $60. You can purchase a set of 8 Ford performance coils for around $200. I also had to remove the valve covers because of oil seepage into the wells. Car is all fixed. Ive already put on 2000 miles in 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, I'm having the oil seepage issue, as well.

With 300k miles, is there anything I should be doing inside the engine to keep it in proper working condition(while I have the funds available)? Thanks for the speedy response.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigjoshanderson View Post
    Yea, I'm having the oil seepage issue, as well.

With 300k miles, is there anything I should be doing inside the engine to keep it in proper working condition(while I have the funds available)? Thanks for the speedy response.
    Timing components, front cover seals. Upper and lower intake gaskets. Oil filter housing gasket. Break it all down and replace as much as You can. Make sure You throw some NGK plugs in it, TR6 4177 .045 gap with Mo's tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Use 5w-30 full synthetic oil and only a Motor craft oil filter.

Is 5w-30 going be any better/worse for the engine in the ridiculous Texas heat? I'm looking to do everything I can to ensure the car doesn't over heat. Sitting with the car idling in a parking lot on a hot day is never an option, for too long. Is that common for these cars? I did read something about a fellow members "cooling mod" design?? I reckon I should look into that, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigjoshanderson View Post
    Is 5w-30 going be any better/worse for the engine in the ridiculous Texas heat? I'm looking to do everything I can to ensure the car doesn't over heat. Sitting with the car idling in a parking lot on a hot day is never an option, for too long. Is that common for these cars? I did read something about a fellow members "cooling mod" design?? I reckon I should look into that, as well.
    Oil isn't going to have any impact on an overheating issue. Has the cooling system ever been serviced?

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

Idling in a parking lot issues sounds like the fan isn’t kicking on or it’s only operating on low speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Yes, I've had to replace the fan a couple times. The thermostat as well. I believe we've even replaced the radiator sometime in the last 5 years. I bought the car from my father. He put a majority of the miles on the car, over the last 10 years.

Can anyone recommend a body shop in the Houston area that does quality work?

Thread Information