Thread: High Mileage engine rebuild

High Mileage engine rebuild

So I've got my 03 that just rolled over 207k, and as I've been tracking it more often the tiredness of the engine is showing more and more. I'm planning on a refresh for a hotter NA build, and given my unfamiliarity with the ford engines, I figured I'd ask to make sure what I'm doing will be effective (and cost effective) and that I'm not leaving anything out:

Crankshaft: reusing, should I have the journals ground for .010 under bearings or leave at stock tolerances?
    Rods: replace, probably with Manley, keeping stock length
    Pistons: Replace, go with .010 over, I'd be inclined to use Carrillo, but if there's a better option for these motors I'm all ears.
    Rings: Replace, looks like Total Seal or Sealed Power are the front runners. Any opinions?
    Block: Machine for the new pistons, line bore crank bearings? anything else?

Heads: machine multiangle intake valve seat, radiused exhaust seats, replace valve stem seals, gasket match porting on intake side
    Valves: Reuse, unless there's something I don't know about?
    Cams: Been on the fence for a while. If I can find something that helps broaden the powerband I'll do it, otherwise I'll reuse. Has anyone had any luck with that objective?
    Valve springs: Between Comp, Crower, or Ford Performance, is there a consensus? obviously with a different cam I'll change rates if necessary.
    Followers/lash adjusters: Reuse? Do I need to do anything with these?

Replace timing chain guides and tensioners, all gaskets, do the rear head cooling mod, replace the crossover tube, and flush the coolant system before hooking it back up.

Is there anything I'm missing to get another 100k miles of abuse out of it? Any opinions on the parts listed above are welcome.

This will likely be hooked to a 6R80 when it gets stabbed back in.

Thanks in advance,
    Daniel

A few of us have had great luck with Brian Tooley Racing springs. Also make sure to get the steel tensioners when you replace the timing stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Thread Information