Thread: Shock absorbers

Shock absorbers

My 2003 still has the original shock absorbers in the front and rear at 135K miles. they are still fine but should they be replaced after so many miles? Also the ball joints and tie rods are original...My alignment man says the front end is still tight... Should they also be replaced?

Why fix what ain't broke?

Watch the ball joint rubber covers. Mine failed at 125,000.

The OEM parts will probably last longer than any aftermarket replacements. Keep 'em on the car until they're actually worn out, imho.

Definitely keep the original joints until they need to be replaced. The shocks are definitely past their prime, but in my opinion, all the aftermarket “stock” replacements aren’t that great. I ended up getting ADTR stock ride height coilover system. Honestly only because the shock/struts are high quality and have lifetime warranty. They ride soooo much better than the standard aftermarket replacements
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

Quote Originally Posted by blazen71 View Post
    Definitely keep the original joints until they need to be replaced. The shocks are definitely past their prime, but in my opinion, all the aftermarket “stock” replacements aren’t that great. I ended up getting ADTR stock ride height coilover system. Honestly only because the shock/struts are high quality and have lifetime warranty. They ride soooo much better than the standard aftermarket replacements
    ^this, all of this. I did my suspension rebuild on my 03 at 150k miles, so unless your car feels like an old taxi to drive, I'd ride it out a little longer. Aftermarket shock options do suck, I ended up getting Marauder spec shocks for my 03 but put Ridetechs on my 04. I just don't know how much I'd trust the coilovers to hold up to salt, aside from that they're excellent. Our aftermarket shock options are minimal and IMO, crap.

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

Thanks for the info.....I will keep them as long as possible...

Thread Information