Thread: Re: New Rack and Pinion

Re: New Rack and Pinion

I had originally thought my stiff steering wheel was due to a power steering pump, but it turns out the rack and pinion on my MM needs to be replaced. I am having the power steering pump replaced since there is a minor leak. The dealer informed me that the OEM rack and pinion is obsolete and they are going with aftermarket. The aftermarket rack and pinion they found comes with a 2-year 24,000 mile warranty. Before I agree with whatever part they find, does anyone have any recommendations for the best quality aftermarket rack and pinion? Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambitious1 View Post
    I had originally thought my stiff steering wheel was due to a power steering pump, but it turns out the rack and pinion on my MM needs to be replaced. I am having the power steering pump replaced since there is a minor leak. The dealer informed me that the OEM rack and pinion is obsolete and they are going with aftermarket. The aftermarket rack and pinion they found comes with a 2-year 24,000 mile warranty. Before I agree with whatever part they find, does anyone have any recommendations for the best quality aftermarket rack and pinion? Thank you in advance.
    Almost every "new" rack and pinion is refurbished (remanufactured), I got one from Advanced Auto and it was basically the same as original. You'll be fine with whatever You get. The outter tie rods (can't remember if they were included) just may not be serviceable (no grease fittings) so You can change those out if You want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I thought my rack & pinion was bad, but several members here suggested it could be the U-Joint on the steering shaft. I lubed it up and it's been fine ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by crouse View Post
    I thought my rack & pinion was bad, but several members here suggested it could be the U-Joint on the steering shaft. I lubed it up and it's been fine ever since.
    There was a recall on this, IIRC it was 05-11 cars but 03-04's used the exact same part. Very common problem for cars in the rust belt to have the joints in the steering shaft start binding which causes the steering to get stiff. Absolutely worth looking into this considering the OP lives in NY.

I replaced the shaft on my 03, wasn't that much money.

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

Thread Information