Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The new trans arrived!

The new trans arrived!

Ordered an upgraded 4R75 to replace the worn out 175k miles joker. I kept the same stall range but it supports up to 600hp and much faster shifts!

IMG_20211030_112611.jpg

Congratulations!

Does this just bolt up and work or are there any mods/tune required?
    2003 Marauder 300A #1782 of 7093 | (SOLD - Gone but not forgotten)

Quote Originally Posted by Prospect62 View Post
    Does this just bolt up and work or are there any mods/tune required?
    The only thing that's different that matters is there is a different tooth count reluctor wheel between 03 and 04. If you flip flop years then the tune needs to be adjusted.
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

In my case, it just bolts right in. They took down my VIN so they could match up the exact case they needed to build out the trans. I still need to get a tune to get rid of the grandpa shifts as this thing is stock.

Also, taking the trans out of this car is SO much easier than doing a 4RXX in a mustang. Tons of room. The only headache was that damn crossmember...... RIP all my prybars

Proper crossmember removal tool. 60” of “oh yes you will” in under 3 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

After the crossmember is removed, the old trick is to grind down the sides so it just slips in and out in the future.
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

That is one hell of a prybar, justbob. Our limitation was we only had it jacked up to the top of some jackstands. couldn't get much under there. I used a pickle fork and hammered it into the top of the crossmember to push it down. Then I used an air hammer with a chisel to spread the "horn" away from the crossmember ever so slightly. Then we jammed prybars into the bolt holes. Surprisingly it didn't ruin everything.

I will definitely be grinding this joker down some.

I'd like to share my experience with getting this transmission installed. So far the car is still on jackstands.

My car is an 04 that was built in March of 04. I was pretty confident it had the 4R75 in it. I told the transmission company that I thought it was a 4R75 but I wasn't sure. They told me they would just look up my build sheet with the VIN and they would match it. That was 9/3/21.

Fast forward to when I posted this and my fancy new 4R75 showed up. After we got the old one out and started swapping things over, I realized that the transmissions didn't match. My original one was 1" longer and only had 1 VSS port which points to it being a 4R70. On top of that, the shifter linkage that goes inside the transmission was wrong. I call the company back and they apologized. They tell me to send it back along with my core and they will just build the new parts inside my core so they know its right.

They schedule a pick up on 11/8/21. No one shows up. I fight with them and the carrier to come get it. 3 weeks later I end up taking it to the carriers hub as they won't come get the thing. I receive the transmission on 12/14/21 and attempt to install it on the 18th. We then discover they gave me the wrong torque converter. The bolt pattern circle diameter of the one they gave me is 11.4". My marauder's flex plate calls for a 10.6" bolt circle. I do some research and learn that the crown vic flex plate accepts the 11.4" TC and is the same tooth count and diameter of my original flex plate. I put that on, and installed the transmission.

When we first tried to crank it, the engine sounded like it was having a hard time turning over. When it finally cranked up, there was a howl from the transmission that went away after 10 or so seconds. I then let it warm up and attempted to drive it. All gears are neutral. I pull the cooler line and nothing comes out. The pump isn't working....

So I ship it BACK to the transmission company on their dime. They call me and tell me that I installed the TC wrong and that is what killed the pump. I explain that I was sent the wrong TC, but they tell me the TCs are the same except the diameter. So I end up having to pay $500 to fix it. It is now being shipped back to me. It should arrive next week.

WHAT A JOURNEY. Moral of the story is, check to see what transmission you have and don't assume because it's a late 04 that you have a 4R75! I feel like I installed the TC correctly, by making sure it seated in the pump, but I can't prove it wasn't something I did. This is my first time putting a TC on a transmission (with 1 quart of oil in it before install).

The new trans arrived!

Yup, definitely sounds like it wasn’t fully engaged and messed up the front pump.

There is no length difference between the 4R70 and 4R75. They simply gave you the Crown Vic version with the shorter tail shaft. Only the Marauder, CVPI, and the Limo town cars (I believe) received the extended tail shaft housing.

Last edited by justbob; 01-14-2022 at 10:56 PM.
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Justbob, I didn't realize there was a tailshaft difference. That makes no difference to the crossmember though, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by daniel.drives View Post
    Justbob, I didn't realize there was a tailshaft difference. That makes no difference to the crossmember though, correct?
    No. Just a difference in driveshaft length.

SOLD 12/31/2021

Can't say this is the first horror story I read about Monster Transmissions.

I hope you get it all sorted out

Sorry for your troubles, Monster known to provide poor services.
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

I will say they have been in constant contact with me. While this has gone on far too long, the carrier coming to pick up the trans wasn't really their fault. Whoever was supposed to research what I had with my VIN completely dropped the ball. And my improper TC install caused the 2nd one. So I guess, all in all, this was just a horror show of bad luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information