Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High beams and fog lights

High beams and fog lights

Tried search with not much luck. Anyway to have fog lights stay on with High Beams????

2003 Marauder Purchased Feb. 2021 from original owner 62,000 miles
    Cylinder Head Cooling Mod from Marty
    K&N Cold Air Intake
    SCT 4 with custom Tune
    Stainless Works Cat Back exhaust with Magnaflow 10416 mufflers
    4:10 gears with Cobra Carbon posi disc and Ford Girdle cover
    Real Oil pressure gauge Autometer
    Morimoto XB LED fog lights from Panther Lights
    Headlight bulbs GTR Lighting Ultra 2.0 from Panther Lights
    TCI Trans. Pan
    Aeromotive 340 fuel pump

I've done it with several of my cars....I jumpered a wire from the High beam relay back to the Fog light relay, which normally loses power when the High beams are activated.

BTW: For brighter lighting....check out Headlight Revolution:

https://www.headlightrevolution.com/...SAAEgLQlfD_BwE

They test all the bulbs that they sell to assure proper beam pattern, no hot spots, no blinding glare...etc.

I upgraded my 2020 Ranger STX with new LEDs for my Low beam, High Beam and Fog lights....and the difference was incredible!
    Now, when some idiot in their Honda/Turdyota/Lexus drives towards me with their High beams on, I melt their retinas with the LEDs......
    Last edited by Joe Walsh; 11-03-2021 at 05:54 PM.
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

Quote Originally Posted by NickT02LS View Post
    Tried search with not much luck. Anyway to have fog lights stay on with High Beams????
    Why not have fog light on all the time?
    Last edited by NXSBOB; 11-04-2021 at 08:17 AM.

It's legally mandated to turn off the fog lights (ie. near-visibility lighting) when enabling the high beams (far-visibility lighting). Modifying your car to disable this feature would be illegal.

The reason for this is pretty simple - fog lights light up the near field in front of the car, sending a lot of light back to the driver, which causes your pupils to close somewhat, reducing your night vision. If you're commanding high-beams, you're indicating your desire to see farther down the road, for which you want maximum night vision. So, while you might see more of what's near to the car, you'll see less of what's down the road.

It's a bit like turning on the interior lights - after shutting them off, you need a few minutes to see fully again.

More light doesn't always mean you'll see better.

It is Illegal to go over speed limit, Illegal for certain lights being put in vehicles, illegal to remove catalytic converters, now in NY illegal for loud exhaust and so on, but yet it is done. I just like the lights to stay on. Where I drive the car mostly in NYC I don't have to worry about fog much. If you go on Daniel Stern lighting a lot of good info there on Lighting and legal/illegal about lighting, good reads and he gets very technical when responds to you.

K&N Cold Air Intake
    SCT 4 with custom Tune
    TCI Trans. Pan
    Aeromotive 340 fuel pump

Where I drive the car mostly in NYC I don't have to worry about fog much.
    Not trying to pick a fight, but if this ^^^^ is the case, why do you want the fogs to stay on when high beams are on?

Quote Originally Posted by SilverPhoenix View Post
    Not trying to pick a fight, but if this ^^^^ is the case, why do you want the fogs to stay on when high beams are on?
    Maybe my ADHD kicking in, just like them to be on at all times, looks better in my opinion. I have done it the way someone mentioned on here by jumping the relay in previous vehicles, I just figured in todays world someone came out with a plug and play to do it.

K&N Cold Air Intake
    SCT 4 with custom Tune
    TCI Trans. Pan
    Aeromotive 340 fuel pump

Lightbulb

SilverPhoenix... why do you want the fogs to stay on when high beams are on?
    In addition to (NickT02LS's) aesthetics...

It is often referred to as the bambi mod'. meaning: Provides additional lighting in rural areas where deer (here called, high speed beef) crossing/on the roadway in the dark are an issue.

Maybe my ADHD kicking in, just like them to be on at all times, looks better in my opinion. I have done it the way someone mentioned on here by jumping the relay in previous vehicles, I just figured in todays world someone came out with a plug and play to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by gdmjoe View Post

It is often referred to as the bambi mod'. meaning: Provides additional lighting in rural areas where deer (here called, high speed beef) crossing/on the roadway in the dark are an issue.
    To be honest, I don't understand either reasoning, but hey, it's not my car so whatever floats your boat...

Quote Originally Posted by gdmjoe View Post

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

When high beams are on the light projection leaves the left and right fields in the dark so you can't see the friken' animals/people that are running/jumping in front of you from the side which is why it should be ILLEGAL to disable the blasted things when the high beams are on!

WLB
    BB#1) 1996 ImpalaSS - 16,500 miles - 100% stock
    ______________________________ ___________

BB#2) 2003 Marauder (300a) - 34k miles - Daily Driver
    #2912 of 7093
    Conceived 8/6/2002
    Delivered 9/19/2002
    Adopted 8/10/2011
    Trilogy 242 - Self Installed 9/9/12 (0-60 5.5 sec)
    Pioneer 6x8 Front
    Legacy 600w 6x9 Rears
    JL 6.5 SubWoofer
    K&N CAI
    Window tint 50% rear/35% front
    FBM CHMSL with Strobe mod 7/1/12
    DR Deep Aluminum Trans Pan
    Sparta FOMOCO Racing 8.8 Girdle
    Mo's Dyno Tune
    Gorilla Nuts - The System
    Ford Racing 4.10s, 31 spline Cobra carrier & axles 7/1/12
    Powder Coat Axle Housing 7/1/12
    CME HP Rear Control Arms & Watts Link 7/1/12
    ______________________________ ________________

Rex "SC Cheesehead" Weinbender 11-14-13
    Ed "Baaad GN" Linthicum 8-6-2014

Quote Originally Posted by GetMeMyStogie View Post
    It's legally mandated to turn off the fog lights (ie. near-visibility lighting) when enabling the high beams (far-visibility lighting). Modifying your car to disable this feature would be illegal.

The reason for this is pretty simple - fog lights light up the near field in front of the car, sending a lot of light back to the driver, which causes your pupils to close somewhat, reducing your night vision. If you're commanding high-beams, you're indicating your desire to see farther down the road, for which you want maximum night vision. So, while you might see more of what's near to the car, you'll see less of what's down the road.

It's a bit like turning on the interior lights - after shutting them off, you need a few minutes to see fully again.

More light doesn't always mean you'll see better.
    no, it's all about maximum lumens aimed at oncoming traffic. Driver visibility is actually better with FL on with high beams as visible range is nearly 180* instead of 30*.

WLB
    BB#1) 1996 ImpalaSS - 16,500 miles - 100% stock
    ______________________________ ___________

BB#2) 2003 Marauder (300a) - 34k miles - Daily Driver
    #2912 of 7093
    Conceived 8/6/2002
    Delivered 9/19/2002
    Adopted 8/10/2011
    Trilogy 242 - Self Installed 9/9/12 (0-60 5.5 sec)
    Pioneer 6x8 Front
    Legacy 600w 6x9 Rears
    JL 6.5 SubWoofer
    K&N CAI
    Window tint 50% rear/35% front
    FBM CHMSL with Strobe mod 7/1/12
    DR Deep Aluminum Trans Pan
    Sparta FOMOCO Racing 8.8 Girdle
    Mo's Dyno Tune
    Gorilla Nuts - The System
    Ford Racing 4.10s, 31 spline Cobra carrier & axles 7/1/12
    Powder Coat Axle Housing 7/1/12
    CME HP Rear Control Arms & Watts Link 7/1/12
    ______________________________ ________________

Rex "SC Cheesehead" Weinbender 11-14-13
    Ed "Baaad GN" Linthicum 8-6-2014

High beams and fog lights

Aesthetically speaking I can’t stand them turning off myself. More light the merrier IMO. In rural areas I run my light bar on my truck. Sure I don’t need to see 100’ up in the trees but having literally EVERYTHING surrounding the front lit up from side to side and ground to sky I can see every critter contemplating making a move.

Of course I can’t stand all these new cars that kill the driving light while activating the turn signal. I understand the why, just looks dumb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by justbob; 11-07-2021 at 10:07 PM.
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by MyBlackBeasts View Post
    no, it's all about maximum lumens aimed at oncoming traffic. Driver visibility is actually better with FL on with high beams as visible range is nearly 180* instead of 30*.
    I guess you know better than the scientists and engineers who came up with the system.

Can you offer any reason at all for it's existence?

It is Illegal to go over speed limit, Illegal for certain lights being put in vehicles, illegal to remove catalytic converters, now in NY illegal for loud exhaust and so on, but yet it is done. I just like the lights to stay on. Where I drive the car mostly in NYC I don't have to worry about fog much. If you go on Daniel Stern lighting a lot of good info there on Lighting and legal/illegal about lighting, good reads and he gets very technical when responds to you.
    People break the law usually to gain an advantage in some way or another.

Why would you break the law while disadvantaging yourself?

I'm glad you mentioned Daniel Stern. He goes into great detail why fog lights make you feel better but actually reduce your safety when used incorrectly:

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/...fog_lamps.html

Too many folks on this site are all about the feels, it seems.

I find it puzzling seeing someone getting bashed for asking a simple question. Then further ridiculed when when not in agreement. Thank god congress hasn't amended freedom of speech.
    2004 marauder black purchased new. Sold 9/16 at 297,000 miles. Still ran strong didn't burn a drop of oil.
    2003 marauder black 28,000 miles all stock. Garage Queen.
    2004 marauder red daily driver.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information