Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for OEM mufflers

Quote Originally Posted by kirk View Post
    I don't have any mufflers, but in reference to comments about the volume, and for what it's worth...

the head of engine development on the 2003/4 Marauder told me that the stock exhaust was .5 decibel below the legal limit. He seemed pretty proud of it. I don't know what that limit was.
    That is very interesting.

Thanks to all for the responses. I’ll send out some PM’s.
    2003 Marauder 300A #1782 of 7093 | (SOLD - Gone but not forgotten)

I'm sure cops are dying to do more policing of foolish things...Poor folks! Yes, those who go overboard need to be checked, but c'mon man! Who builds a platform on noise from cars/motorcycles? My diesel truck idling is louder than my marauder at 3500 rpm! Ha! BTW this legislation also bans the production and sale of cut outs...lol! What about ALL the factory produced cutouts from nearly EVERY auto manufacturer? Even my wife's BMW has a loud version via stock. This is such a waste of paper...let's make laws to ban ambiguous legislation! Rant over....
    2003 300A
    Widened Rear Wheels with 295 45 Nitto G2's
    Eaton Swapped by Curless
    Brake Upgrade
    Mo's Tune
    JLT Intake
    Addco Sway Bars
    ADTR Coil Over Suspension
    Metco Control Arms & Watts Link
    SW Headers and Exhaust
    Accessories By FastBlackMerc
    4.10 Gears
    Aeroforce Gauges
    Pantherlights Headlamps

Quote Originally Posted by Ambitious1 View Post
    Many jurisdictions (like some in California) have a 95-decibel test that they apply. One that I know about is that the officer will pull the driver over, have the driver put the vehicle in park or neutral and press the accelerator up to 4,000 RPM (or whatever is halfway to the redline). The officer will then stand a certain distance (usually only about 20 inches) behind the vehicle with a piece of sound equipment called a decibel meter. If the decibel meter registers above a 95-decibel level, the driver will get a citation. Previously, it was a "fix-it" citation which allows 30-days to correct the violation. Motorcycles have their own exhaust noise standards, but "motorcycles manufactured after 1985 cannot exceed 80 decibels".

This video is actually an example (just fast forward to time stamp 1:25):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNvYHWlXx4g
    When I run auto cross events, they always have a sound meter that records the decibel level of each car at a point on the course where you will be at WOT. It's usually setup about 30 feet from the course. My Marauder with after market Magnaflow mufflers and catalytic converters is typically about 85 decibels. Having the police officer stand about 20" away seems a little close and it would seem that just any car would be over the limit being that close.

Quote Originally Posted by crouse View Post
    When I run auto cross events, they always have a sound meter that records the decibel level of each car at a point on the course where you will be at WOT. It's usually setup about 30 feet from the course. My Marauder with after market Magnaflow mufflers and catalytic converters is typically about 85 decibels. Having the police officer stand about 20" away seems a little close and it would seem that just any car would be over the limit being that close.
    I agree, 20" would seem unreasonable to have 85 decibels, stock mufflers might fail that or been very close

2003 Marauder Purchased Feb. 2021 from original owner 62,000 miles
    Cylinder Head Cooling Mod from Marty
    K&N Cold Air Intake
    SCT 4 with custom Tune
    Stainless Works Cat Back exhaust with Magnaflow 10416 mufflers
    4:10 gears with Cobra Carbon posi disc and Ford Girdle cover
    Real Oil pressure gauge Autometer
    Morimoto XB LED fog lights from Panther Lights
    Headlight bulbs GTR Lighting Ultra 2.0 from Panther Lights
    TCI Trans. Pan
    Aeromotive 340 fuel pump

A person's scream can reach 100+ dBs...

Quote Originally Posted by SilverPhoenix View Post
    A person's scream can reach 100+ dBs...
    . Ummm...is there something you want to tell us? Like...where you put the bodies???

Ha! Ha! I couldn't resist!
    2003 300A
    Widened Rear Wheels with 295 45 Nitto G2's
    Eaton Swapped by Curless
    Brake Upgrade
    Mo's Tune
    JLT Intake
    Addco Sway Bars
    ADTR Coil Over Suspension
    Metco Control Arms & Watts Link
    SW Headers and Exhaust
    Accessories By FastBlackMerc
    4.10 Gears
    Aeroforce Gauges
    Pantherlights Headlamps

Quote Originally Posted by Peace2Peep View Post
    . Ummm...is there something you want to tell us? Like...where you put the bodies???

Ha! Ha! I couldn't resist!
    That's not exactly how I make 'em scream...

BWAHAHAHAAHAHA...geez, even I couldn't keep from laughing after I typed that.

Funny thread, my friend at work was talking about this law today. I'm in NY and my MM is quiet. Got SW longtubes - 3" dual cats going to a muffled X pipe then to (2) long Borla mufflers, stock tips with resonators still installed. Same or quieter at stock at light throttle. 1/2 throttle or more however you can hear it. Sooo I don't have to take anything off or change it. Seems like they are trying to get the "rolling coal" diesel guys perhaps. I can't stand the libtard NY Dems.

I'm trying to sell my MM here - so If you want a quiet MM that still hauls ass.....

also I do have (1) 2008 MGM stock muffler.
    Last edited by babbage; 11-09-2021 at 05:49 PM. Reason: I have 1 muffler
    2021 F150 XLT Super Crew short bed - no chrome! - 3.5 Ecoboost 400hp/500tq - 36 Gal tank (600 miles) - 4x4 FX4 Offroad + Max Tow - 3.55 Locker - 10 Speed - Pro Power 2kva - 24mpg @ 80 Ford is still the best.
    03 300A - Number 1727
    - Super Touring - 10k in the best upgrades - 13.8@99 N/A - SOLD
    - STAP was so much fun, loved meeting you all and racing.

Quote Originally Posted by babbage View Post
    Funny thread, my friend at work was talking about this law today. I'm in NY and my MM is quiet. Got SW longtubes - 3" dual cats going to a muffled X pipe then to (2) long Borla mufflers, stock tips with resonators still installed. Same or quieter at stock at light throttle. 1/2 throttle or more however you can hear it. Sooo I don't have to take anything off or change it. Seems like they are trying to get the "rolling coal" diesel guys perhaps. I can't stand the libtard NY Dems.

I'm trying to sell my MM here - so If you want a quiet MM that still hauls ass.....

also I do have (1) 2008 MGM stock muffler.

Having that middle muffler with built in X helps keep it quiet, I had same setup in my 2002 Lincoln LS, had a nice tone but I like louder, so I left just middle dual in/out muffler with no rear mufflers and was just the way I liked it, loud but not obnoxious. Good luck with the sale

2003 Marauder Purchased Feb. 2021 from original owner 62,000 miles
    Cylinder Head Cooling Mod from Marty
    K&N Cold Air Intake
    SCT 4 with custom Tune
    Stainless Works Cat Back exhaust with Magnaflow 10416 mufflers
    4:10 gears with Cobra Carbon posi disc and Ford Girdle cover
    Real Oil pressure gauge Autometer
    Morimoto XB LED fog lights from Panther Lights
    Headlight bulbs GTR Lighting Ultra 2.0 from Panther Lights
    TCI Trans. Pan
    Aeromotive 340 fuel pump

Since I bought the car with these flowmasters on it, I'm going to try to get it inspected as-is and see what happens. If they fail me, I'll hit up those of you who have offered OEM mufflers. Thank you to those that have.

For everyone else weighing in on the law itself - stay tuned. Perhaps we could start a new thread in a discussion forum about it. I have noticed quite a few members here from NY like me, so it may become something very relevant.
    2003 Marauder 300A #1782 of 7093 | (SOLD - Gone but not forgotten)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information