Thread: Catalytic converter theft prevention

Catalytic converter theft prevention

Hello Gents!,
    Say, around my town here is AZ, there has been a decent number of catalytic converter thefts. Usually higher off the ground vehicles than my MM.
    But... The SW headers I installed include cats, and I would like to make them very difficult to steal.
    Any experience or ideas around this?
    FYI...still have my old ones.
    '03 Silver Birch. Stock rebuilt 4.L 32V DOHC, V7-JT blower w/ADTR racing supercharger kit, Shift kit in transmission, stainless works long pipes and cat backs, Ridetech coil-overs front, shocks in back (ADTR kit). Rebuilt calipers, upgraded front rotors, OEM Mercury wheels, [boost, oil P, WB fuel/air, and fuel pressure] gauges. Build duration was Dec 2019 to Mar 2022. 8 rib serp belt upgrade i/p.

If you are that worried, I'd bolt in catless lead pipes. Then bolt the cat pipes back in only if/when you have to go through emmissions/inspection. I do not know how a thief thinks, but if you make it more difficult to remove, thy may cause more damage trying to remove.
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

Well, the good news is that in the county where the vehicle is registered (Navajo), there are no emissions requirements :-)
    '03 Silver Birch. Stock rebuilt 4.L 32V DOHC, V7-JT blower w/ADTR racing supercharger kit, Shift kit in transmission, stainless works long pipes and cat backs, Ridetech coil-overs front, shocks in back (ADTR kit). Rebuilt calipers, upgraded front rotors, OEM Mercury wheels, [boost, oil P, WB fuel/air, and fuel pressure] gauges. Build duration was Dec 2019 to Mar 2022. 8 rib serp belt upgrade i/p.

Anyone taking the risk of cutting them off surely already knows only certain specific factory ones are worth money. Even the OEM Ford ones aren’t worth much. I believe a few GM ones are amongst the top dollar ones if I recall. Aftermarket forget it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

I just scrapped one from a 94 ford e-350 and got $300 for it. The guy said if it would have been the California emissions version it would have been around $900
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

Quote Originally Posted by blazen71 View Post
    I just scrapped one from a 94 ford e-350 and got $300 for it. The guy said if it would have been the California emissions version it would have been around $900
    Well damn, I eat my words! The local yards here have a price sheet that I saw and I remember nothing over like $80!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Most are that cheap. But there are a few versions that are ridiculously priced. The 90's Ford vans and truck, and some imports are worth a lot.

I would say the car is too low for the rats to bother… Plus I doubt most of our MM’s would be parked in the typical spots they like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2003 300A
    Built: 10/22/02
    XCal2 by Lidio
    K&N CAI #63-1111
    Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
    Stewart EMP Water pump
    Stainless Works long tube headers
    Random Tech high flow cats
    Super 44's
    Megs delete tips
    OEM Spoiler
    Progard
    Duplicolor red calipers
    20% Tint
    14.46 @ 97.08

5799 of 7839
    Made in Canada

there is a product out there called the “cat strap”. Its a heat resistant fiber of some type that is very hard to saw zaw through. hard to tell if its effective or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recyclers know the older cats have alot of the precious metal gone by now (out the tailpipe) so they will be worth less.

Quote Originally Posted by azgolfrat View Post
    Hello Gents!,
    Say, around my town here is AZ, there has been a decent number of catalytic converter thefts. Usually higher off the ground vehicles than my MM.
    But... The SW headers I installed include cats, and I would like to make them very difficult to steal.
    Any experience or ideas around this?
    FYI...still have my old ones.
    You have Aftermarket Cat Converters, they do not want those! They want the ones off the Prius, because they figure being a Hybrid the precious metals will still be good.

Prius converters have more precious metal content because they aren't running as hot as a conventional engine. Prius engines turn on and off alot, its a dirty little engine that runs hard/pollutes when it does run in the name of max mpg.

Thread Information