Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for OEM mufflers

Looking for OEM mufflers

So New York State, in their infinite liberal wisdom, just passed a law making it illegal to add aftermarket mufflers to a vehicle that are louder than OEM. The Marauder I just bought has some pretty gnarly god-knows-what Flowmaster knock-offs. Since I won't be able to get the car through annual safety/emissions inspection with these on it now, I am looking for anyone who may have removed the OEM mufflers and held onto them (for some reason).

Looks like the OEM part numbers 3W3Z-5230-BA (passenger) and 3W3Z-5230-BB (driver) came with the tailpipe from Ford, but are NLA anyway. I don't need any pipes, just the two OEM mufflers.

Would rather re-install a nice, non-rotted set of OEM mufflers than some off the shelf Walkers or something. Just figured I'd ask before I go hunting facebook.

Thanks!
    2003 Marauder 300A #1782 of 7093 | (SOLD - Gone but not forgotten)

The marauder Facebook page has alot more traffic than here. Just gotta be more careful of who you deal with..best to check here and there
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Great question! I'm curious about this since I am in New York as well. Are there any comparable aftermarket muffler brands that sound similar to the OEM?
    Last edited by Ambitious1; 11-04-2021 at 04:20 PM.

I have a some questions. How does the NY DMV (or whatever it's called there) know how loud OEM mufflers are on a Marauder, or any other car for that matter? And is the 'line of disqualification' based on sound at idle or WOT? What kind of rules do motorcycles have to follow in regards to 'sound'? Trucks? Heavy equipment? Trains? Airplanes? Anything with a combustible engine?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.new...ems-in-ny/amp/

The section of law applies to any motor vehicle operated on any highway, road or street in the state. This includes anything with an engine. And just like every other liberal half baked idea becoming law in this state meteor, it’s not clearly thought out and most of the questions you just asked were never even considered by the legislature or governor.
    2003 Marauder 300A #1782 of 7093 | (SOLD - Gone but not forgotten)

Quote Originally Posted by Prospect62 View Post
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.new...ems-in-ny/amp/

The section of law applies to any motor vehicle operated on any highway, road or street in the state. This includes anything with an engine. And just like every other liberal half baked idea becoming law in this state meteor, it’s not clearly thought out and most of the questions you just asked were never even considered by the legislature or governor.
    Incredible, yet not surprised...

“Contributing to hearing loss and increased emissions”

These bozos CLEARLY have no clue!

You can probably thank all the ricers and Harley guys for the vast majority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

As someone who loves a nice exhaust note but does not appreciate the Harley and crotch rocket jack as ses with straight pipes or slash cut pipes roaring past my house 30' away, at 70mph in packs, this govt overreach is predictable - to everyone's loss... The as shats in life ruin it for everyone...

WLB
    BB#1) 1996 ImpalaSS - 16,500 miles - 100% stock
    ______________________________ ___________

BB#2) 2003 Marauder (300a) - 34k miles - Daily Driver
    #2912 of 7093
    Conceived 8/6/2002
    Delivered 9/19/2002
    Adopted 8/10/2011
    Trilogy 242 - Self Installed 9/9/12 (0-60 5.5 sec)
    Pioneer 6x8 Front
    Legacy 600w 6x9 Rears
    JL 6.5 SubWoofer
    K&N CAI
    Window tint 50% rear/35% front
    FBM CHMSL with Strobe mod 7/1/12
    DR Deep Aluminum Trans Pan
    Sparta FOMOCO Racing 8.8 Girdle
    Mo's Dyno Tune
    Gorilla Nuts - The System
    Ford Racing 4.10s, 31 spline Cobra carrier & axles 7/1/12
    Powder Coat Axle Housing 7/1/12
    CME HP Rear Control Arms & Watts Link 7/1/12
    ______________________________ ________________

Rex "SC Cheesehead" Weinbender 11-14-13
    Ed "Baaad GN" Linthicum 8-6-2014

I have two oem mufflers that are in nice condition that I would sell. $100 for the pair. I think shipping would be about 50-75 dollars. If you are interested, I can send a picture.

I am going to list my 2003 Marauder for sale next week, so I no longer need the mufflers.

Quote Originally Posted by MyBlackBeasts View Post
    As someone who loves a nice exhaust note but does not appreciate the Harley and crotch rocket jack as ses with straight pipes or slash cut pipes roaring past my house 30' away, at 70mph in packs, this govt overreach is predictable - to everyone's loss... The as shats in life ruin it for everyone...
    I think you are correct. In the larger cities, we're seeing more and more of the "crotch rockets" and "ricer" type cars driving by at extremely loud noise levels which seem to sound even louder in the more congested areas. Plus, I think many of the people in these areas predominantly work 9-to-5 and so having these types of cars and bikes drive by at 2:00 or 3:00 a.m. is getting to be too much. What was only seen in Saturday night parking lots and country roads with kids doing "donuts" and screaming by with straight-piped exhausts are now being driven at all hours every day on the streets. It would make sense to apply the law in the more congested areas and not out in the rural areas. An example would be applying a 30 mph school zone speed limit, but making the highway speed limit at 65 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverPhoenix View Post
    I have a some questions. How does the NY DMV (or whatever it's called there) know how loud OEM mufflers are on a Marauder, or any other car for that matter? And is the 'line of disqualification' based on sound at idle or WOT? What kind of rules do motorcycles have to follow in regards to 'sound'? Trucks? Heavy equipment? Trains? Airplanes? Anything with a combustible engine?

Many jurisdictions (like some in California) have a 95-decibel test that they apply. One that I know about is that the officer will pull the driver over, have the driver put the vehicle in park or neutral and press the accelerator up to 4,000 RPM (or whatever is halfway to the redline). The officer will then stand a certain distance (usually only about 20 inches) behind the vehicle with a piece of sound equipment called a decibel meter. If the decibel meter registers above a 95-decibel level, the driver will get a citation. Previously, it was a "fix-it" citation which allows 30-days to correct the violation. Motorcycles have their own exhaust noise standards, but "motorcycles manufactured after 1985 cannot exceed 80 decibels".

This video is actually an example (just fast forward to time stamp 1:25):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNvYHWlXx4g

Quote Originally Posted by MyBlackBeasts View Post
    Yeah I guess I can’t leave out rockets. Some of these guys are running insane systems! My 900RR I sold last year had a simple TwoBrothers slip on muffler and just purred with a nice mellow deep tone.

There is still plenty of X pipe stupid raspy American cars out there but are few and far between the numbers of daily driver ricers. Hell I can’t even stand mine.. At least it’s only really obnoxious if I want it to be. Some guys just go for that obnoxious at every light. Don’t even get me started on snap crackle pop idiots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

OP...sorry I can't help...if you only knew how many pairs of MARAUDER OEM mufflers I threw away...

I have my cat back for sale I took out of my Marauder 63,000 miles when I installed the Stainless works exhaust, and I am in NY although I think a ways from you

2003 Marauder Purchased Feb. 2021 from original owner 62,000 miles
    Cylinder Head Cooling Mod from Marty
    K&N Cold Air Intake
    SCT 4 with custom Tune
    Stainless Works Cat Back exhaust with Magnaflow 10416 mufflers
    4:10 gears with Cobra Carbon posi disc and Ford Girdle cover
    Real Oil pressure gauge Autometer
    Morimoto XB LED fog lights from Panther Lights
    Headlight bulbs GTR Lighting Ultra 2.0 from Panther Lights
    TCI Trans. Pan
    Aeromotive 340 fuel pump

I don't have any mufflers, but in reference to comments about the volume, and for what it's worth...

the head of engine development on the 2003/4 Marauder told me that the stock exhaust was .5 decibel below the legal limit. He seemed pretty proud of it. I don't know what that limit was.
    1963 Marauder S-55, Super Marauder 406
    Only factory 406 powered Marauder, and earliest built Marauder documented to still exist.
    https://sites.google.com/a/wmich.edu/supermarauder/
    ______________________________ _____________

First retailed 2003 Marauder
    Bought 6 June 2002

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information