Thread: Update on new engine start

Update on new engine start

Hi Guys,
    Some of you know I'm getting close to the next step in the two year long engine rebuild + other stuff for the stock, 167K miles, 03 MM I bought used in July of '19.
    I've added:
    Rebuilt engine - all critical parts upgraded...honed, blah blah.
    Vortech v7-jt supercharger (ADTR racing SC kit inc "bigger" fuel pump and injectors) Chris Adams at ADTR is an awesome guy btw.
    Eagle Forged crank (which req'd a new flexplate with 8 bolt holes)
    Rebuilt, with shift kit, transmission
    Stainless works headers & cat back exhaust
    Cooling mod at back of heads
    New radiator
    Ride tech coils in front and shock in the back
    Rebuilt brakes
    Replaced all the engine sensors
    Added RealAuto gauges in pillar pod ; wideband, fuel pressure and boost and real oil p in low dash pod
    New radiator
    New Upper control arms
    New Engine and transmission mounts
    New PS pump
    Other stuff I've now forgotten

Anyways, the work is all done except I need one more gallon of coolant (yes, using the famous burp procedure), which will go in today.
    It looks like there are no ps , brake, trans, engine oil or coolant leaks (yet).

Marty O & Val, who are terrific, have sent me a SCT, and a base tune which will go in today.
    For start up I am going to do the following:
    1) Crank the engine with no spark and no gas and hopefully see the oil pressure rise and stabilize, indicating that system is working.
    2) Look for any leaks and/or fix anything wrong at this point
    3) Start the car. Let it idle; look for leaks, fires, etc.
    4) Shut down the car
    5) Fix anything that needs it
    6) Put on new tires
    7) Either transport or limp car to dyno and work with Marty to dynamic tune
    or
    7.1) Do dynamic tune with Marty on the road via cell phone hotspot and laptop/SCT.
    8) Change oil
    9) Break in the engine over about 500 miles
    10) Change the oil

FYI - I used Blazen's approach for pre-oiling the 2 yr 2 month non run engine; I pressurized 6 qts of engine oil with a hand pump and sent it up through a port on the oil filter adapter. I think this worked as it took a bit for the dip stick to register and oil...which it eventually did.

So...there you have it. One snag, my good friend and consultant who has helped me in many ways has been sick (covid) for ~ 10 days now. I believe he is on the mend, but I'm not going to crank the engine (step 1 above) until he is ok and here for the event. Who else will hold the fire extinguisher (CO2 type)?

I welcome any and all questions, advise, cuss words, whatever. Please write. Thanks!
    '03 Silver Birch. Stock rebuilt 4.L 32V DOHC, V7-JT blower w/ADTR racing supercharger kit, Shift kit in transmission, stainless works long pipes and cat backs, Ridetech coil-overs front, shocks in back (ADTR kit). Rebuilt calipers, upgraded front rotors, OEM Mercury wheels, [boost, oil P, WB fuel/air, and fuel pressure] gauges. Build duration was Dec 2019 to Mar 2022. 8 rib serp belt upgrade i/p.

Don't idle the motor. And if you drive it to the dyno, don't baby it. Drive it semi aggressive. New motors need rpm and load to break in correctly.
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

Yes! that's the plan
    '03 Silver Birch. Stock rebuilt 4.L 32V DOHC, V7-JT blower w/ADTR racing supercharger kit, Shift kit in transmission, stainless works long pipes and cat backs, Ridetech coil-overs front, shocks in back (ADTR kit). Rebuilt calipers, upgraded front rotors, OEM Mercury wheels, [boost, oil P, WB fuel/air, and fuel pressure] gauges. Build duration was Dec 2019 to Mar 2022. 8 rib serp belt upgrade i/p.

This NEEDS to be video and shared on the page! You have put in so much work brother! Wow! Cannot wait to hear (hopefully) how this baby sounds and the music is makes! Pictures at the very least! So excited for you! Go buddy, go!
    2003 300A
    Widened Rear Wheels with 295 45 Nitto G2's
    Eaton Swapped by Curless
    Brake Upgrade
    Mo's Tune
    JLT Intake
    Addco Sway Bars
    ADTR Coil Over Suspension
    Metco Control Arms & Watts Link
    SW Headers and Exhaust
    Accessories By FastBlackMerc
    4.10 Gears
    Aeroforce Gauges
    Pantherlights Headlamps

I will definitely get a video and lots of pics.
    Thanks P2P!
    -KK

Nice! I'm in North Phoenix, will be installing a Trilogy Motorsports Supercharger kit on mine hopefully very soon! Would nice to meet up sometime!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    2004 SB Mercury Marauder
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300B

Let's do it once I am running!
    I saw a nice Torredor Red Marauder on I-10 about 1 yr ago, down in the chandler area...was that you?

Quote Originally Posted by azgolfrat View Post
    Let's do it once I am running!
    I saw a nice Torredor Red Marauder on I-10 about 1 yr ago, down in the chandler area...was that you?
    Perfect I've only seen about 5 DTR's here in AZ, I drive a Black 03' Marauder & a Silver 04 Marauder. The one I drive the most is my 04 now since its a daily.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    2004 SB Mercury Marauder
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300B

For anyone following this thread, I've made it down to Azgolfrat's place a couple times this week, helped him get the front end aligned, and checked out the supercharger kit...man that thing is impressive. Tried today for a first start but we were fighting electrical issues in the boost pump and the stock fuel pump drivers module, a couple blown fuses later and still a lot of questions. Pretty excited for when this thing does run, with the quality care he's put into the build, this should be an absolute monster. Now I just need to convince him to do the rest of the chassis/brake upgrades to match haha

Thread Information