Thread: AutoMeter oil gauge question

AutoMeter oil gauge question

Hey Guys,
    I'm doing final testing before starting the new build engine for 1st time. Part of the testing was to turn the key two clicks to just before ignition; This allowed me, as much as possible short of starting the engine, to check on the wiring of the pod gauges (WB air-fuel, boost and fuel P) and the autometer oil gauge. With the key in this position the Autometer oil meter gauge pegs full scale and doesnt move back until the key is moved back. Is this normal?
    I'll give Autometer a ring after the holidays, but in the meantime I thought one of you might know.

Thanks guys & a very Merry Christmas to all!
    -KK
    '03 Silver Birch. Stock rebuilt 4.L 32V DOHC, V7-JT blower w/ADTR racing supercharger kit, Shift kit in transmission, stainless works long pipes and cat backs, Ridetech coil-overs front, shocks in back (ADTR kit). Rebuilt calipers, upgraded front rotors, OEM Mercury wheels, [boost, oil P, WB fuel/air, and fuel pressure] gauges. Build duration was Dec 2019 to Mar 2022. 8 rib serp belt upgrade i/p.

No, oil pressure only measures when engine is running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Are you using correct sending unit for the gauge you are using????

2003 Marauder Purchased Feb. 2021 from original owner 62,000 miles
    Cylinder Head Cooling Mod from Marty
    K&N Cold Air Intake
    SCT 4 with custom Tune
    Stainless Works Cat Back exhaust with Magnaflow 10416 mufflers
    4:10 gears with Cobra Carbon posi disc and Ford Girdle cover
    Real Oil pressure gauge Autometer
    Morimoto XB LED fog lights from Panther Lights
    Headlight bulbs GTR Lighting Ultra 2.0 from Panther Lights
    TCI Trans. Pan
    Aeromotive 340 fuel pump

Yes, took out the old gauge and replaced in place with the RealAuto; The RealAuto included a sending unit which I plumbed into the same spot the prior sending unit was (port on the oil filter adapter), connecting the same wire to it.
    Hmm. Puzzled for now.
    '03 Silver Birch. Stock rebuilt 4.L 32V DOHC, V7-JT blower w/ADTR racing supercharger kit, Shift kit in transmission, stainless works long pipes and cat backs, Ridetech coil-overs front, shocks in back (ADTR kit). Rebuilt calipers, upgraded front rotors, OEM Mercury wheels, [boost, oil P, WB fuel/air, and fuel pressure] gauges. Build duration was Dec 2019 to Mar 2022. 8 rib serp belt upgrade i/p.

disconnect the sender and do key on again, see if it pegs. Either the sender is faulty or something is grounding out.

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

Quote Originally Posted by azgolfrat View Post
    Yes, took out the old gauge and replaced in place with the RealAuto; The RealAuto included a sending unit which I plumbed into the same spot the prior sending unit was (port on the oil filter adapter), connecting the same wire to it.
    Hmm. Puzzled for now.
    Check the wiring on gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I did the gauge, too. It was pretty simple. Swapping the internal from gauge to gauge was a bit tedious but worth the effort. My sending unit failed almost immediately.
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

Ok guys,
    digging in a little further - here is some more info
    At the ACC setting for the key (1 click), the gauge behaves properly.
    Turning the key to ON (2 clicks) the gauge pegs out. Remember, I've not started the car yet - so I dont know what the gauge would do upon starting (yet).

The images included are 1) the autometer spec for connecting the gauge and 2) the stock oil gauge pinout (from alldatadyi).

Attachment 52224

Attachment 52225

I'm using pin 1 and 2 from the stock connector to the Autometer gauge bulb
    I'm using pin 3 (R/Y) from the stock connector to " I" on the Autometer gauge
    I'm using pin 4 (W/R) from the stock connector to "S" on the Autometer gauge
    I'm using pin1 (B) from the stock connector to the Autometer "G"

I can't see anything wrong...can you have a look?
    Thanks

Hey Guys,
    I am/was convinced all the connections to the autometer oil gauge in the dash are correct (see above).
    So I called autometer tech assist and described the problem to them. The gentleman there thought it was likely an issue with the sender wire from the sender being grounded out somewhere on its way back to the dash gauge. So I hunted around and found the insulation on the sender wire was badly damaged/gone as was the insulation for the wires that run down to the power steering sensor that is mounted right near the ps pump. The three wires are bundled at the very end of the wiring harness as it ends run out on the drivers side front. I cleaned all this up, reinsulated and protected the three wires (they went bad , I'm pretty sure, due to lots and lots of power steering fluid that leaked during the prior owners tenure). No more full scale deflection, so this problem , I think, is solved.

However, the dash engine coolant temp gauge is still pegged full scale, regardless of key position; on, off, key in, key out. I determined that the coolant temp sensor on the passenger side is the sensor that sends to the gauge. The drivers side sends to the power control module (PCM). (alldatadyi helped again). I can find no problem with the wiring at the dash gauge sensor, at least upon visual inspection.

I could pull the dash cluster and check for continuity back to the sensor. Lots of work.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this temperature gauge problem?
    Last edited by azgolfrat; 12-30-2021 at 06:48 PM. Reason: typo

The real kicker in connection with this temp dash gauge is that it is pegged with the battery disconnected!

Then maybe the needle is stuck, I assume you tapped on it....

Yes sir... tapped on it. No help.
    But..
    I took a look at the circuit diagram for the temp sensor/needle, and it seemed to me that an open circuit would cause max needle deflection.
    So, I looked and looked around for an open somewhere.
    Fuse #6 (instrument cluster fuse) in the under-steering-wheel fuse box was blown. :p
    I replaced it and connected up the battery, put the key to on, and the temp needle went to "C". And the fuel level needle also moved from ~ 1/8 tank to empty (which it is).
    So...problems solved.
    I am left wondering what the heck blew that fuse.
    Thanks
    KK

Thread Information