Thread: Stock radio not working

Stock radio not working

Hey guys, before I give in and buy another, I was wondering...any idea on what might be wrong with my stock AM/FM/ single CD /cassette audio unit?
    The CD player works, but the radio produces only static in both the AM and FM. I connected up a known good antenna and still had nothing but static, so I think the antenna is ok.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    -KK
    '03 Silver Birch. Stock rebuilt 4.L 32V DOHC, V7-JT blower w/ADTR racing supercharger kit, Shift kit in transmission, stainless works long pipes and cat backs, Ridetech coil-overs front, shocks in back (ADTR kit). Rebuilt calipers, upgraded front rotors, OEM Mercury wheels, [boost, oil P, WB fuel/air, and fuel pressure] gauges. Build duration was Dec 2019 to Mar 2022. 8 rib serp belt upgrade i/p.

Lead free solder joint going out. Get an Audiophile 6 CD unit, plugs right in, steering wheel controls still work, mustang Eddie on this forum has some. My MGM had the same issue....

Agent2006,
    Thanks. I've contacted Eddie.
    Got the radio/CD/cassette out and taken apart. Where might that solder joint be? :-)

Attachment 52244
    '03 Silver Birch. Stock rebuilt 4.L 32V DOHC, V7-JT blower w/ADTR racing supercharger kit, Shift kit in transmission, stainless works long pipes and cat backs, Ridetech coil-overs front, shocks in back (ADTR kit). Rebuilt calipers, upgraded front rotors, OEM Mercury wheels, [boost, oil P, WB fuel/air, and fuel pressure] gauges. Build duration was Dec 2019 to Mar 2022. 8 rib serp belt upgrade i/p.

Agent2006,
    Even though my MM is only a single CD, the 6 cd change Audiophile will plug in and go?
    Thanks again.

I remember when my radio went out, I sent it to a place I think was called Radios United or something like that. They did a good job.
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300B (Daily Driver)
    1988 LTD Crown Victoria S

Could be any one of a number of solder joints. When my instrument cluster went out on my 2006
    Mgm, I took it out and resoldered every pin on the back, 46 I think. Worked for year and a half then went bad again, so I bought a newer version from LKQ...has worked fine since. My stereo would suddenly go to static and 12:00 clock, why waste time when there's a better plug in available, yes the Audiophile units from wrecked Ford escapes do plug right in, there's threads on here about which one has the highest wattage, which version has the same rear plugs as a Marauder...Eddie knows all this.

ok...fixing it probably not worth the time.
    Thanks again.
    -KK

Geez, I removed the radio from my 2004 in 2005 and it's been stored ever since. I don't believe I will ever, EVER return to stock or sell and cannot come to peace with selling the radio.
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

Thread Information