Page 1 of 10 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragcity Marauder - Build it plan

Dragcity Marauder - Build it plan

In April 2021 the Trilogy boosted engine failed. I was hoping to have that not happen, but I pushed a little too hard. At least two connecting rods gave out and poked air holes in the side and top of the block. I have not yet removed the engine and torn it down. I'll wait until I have the new one ready to go in. I will use it a reference point for re-assembly. There is too much to keep track of on these things.

I have a good TEKSID engine for the rebuild. I pulled the heads and the bores look great. No scoring and no top ridge. I will send it out to have it cleaned up and checked out. One motor mount stud broke off and is in the block, that will need to be professionally removed.

The questions I have are:
    1) What is the most HP I can get out of this thing while utilizing the Trilogy Supercharger I have? ( I have Standard, small and smaller upper pullies for the supercharger) [I was at 440 RWHP]
    2) Should I stroke it? I have 4.10 gears and always have a traction issue. (Stroking takes a little off the low end but adds it to the top end)
    3) How much can I get away with on the stock fuel supply lines? I have upgraded the fuel pump and have 39# injectors, and can move up on those.
    4) What do I need to do to make it all run on alcohol? (If I ever want to go that route) [I am a LICENSED Distiller and can readily make 190 proof alcohol]

I will be rebuilding with forged internals, new pistons, so I can do whatever. If anyone has extra forged parts on their shelves they want to put to good use. let me know.

I am looking forward to help from this community. I know it's all been done before. The end result for this engine is to get to a bit more HP, strength, durability and fun, fun, fun. I originally wanted to get after those pesky Hellcats and Demons, but that's more than I can afford.
    Built: 3/16/2004
    Number 9,879 of 11,052 for Total Production
    Number 2,040 of 3,213 for 2004 Model Year
    Number 663 of 980 Dark Toreador Red Produced
    Dark Charcoal Interior - CD Changer - Heated Seats - Trunk Oganizer - Moonroof - Rear Deck Spoiler
    Trilogy S/C kit #224 installed August 2010
    Detroit Tru-Trac 31 spline with 4.10 gearset
    Must - Go - Faster !

I don’t have first hand knowledge on most of that so I will refrain from commenting on that. I know it drives me nuts reading peoples opinions that have no real experience..

I highly doubt that lil Trilogy even if ported would require much more fueling than what you currently have besides possibly 60# injectors and a larger MAF than stock and/or a MAF extender like a MAFia.

Have you eliminated the sharp tiny 90* bend in the fuel line pre filter yet?

Do you have a decent blower tensioner like a Thump Racing to actually hold the boost?

If you are only planning to run the Trilogy then the internals only really need a minimum of beefing up so take your pick as long as they’re forged. The Trilogy will never out power the block and internals.

I had my old Trilogy dialed up to 20.5 #’s and I believe it made a whopping 6 RWHP more over my 13.5# pulleys and tune. I believe it was a +4 lower and a 2.8 upper. It created nothing but insane heat soak and wore itself out in no time.

You might want to look into an upgraded heat exchanger as well, even better is the Killer Chiller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

I do have the Lightening MAF. I did remove the 90 degree bend and upgraded to a larger fuel filter. Belt tensioner is a weak point. I could feel it slip even with my modest 9.7# of boost.

Killer Chiller - Good idea. Thanks
    Dark Charcoal Interior - CD Changer - Heated Seats - Trunk Oganizer - Moonroof - Rear Deck Spoiler
    Must - Go - Faster !

Besides the engine and the OEM cobra heat exchanger I had pretty much every other supporting item I mentioned plus an upgraded fuel feed line. Heat extraction even with the cowl hood was my main issue between the overspun Trilogy (also almost 100,000 miles on the blower) and not upgrading the heat exchanger. Lowering the boost and upgrading the exchanger would’ve yielded much more power. I even had cams and headers on that high boosted tune and the heat couldn’t leave fast enough.

I was literally melting some plastic items under the hood and cooking the fuel at its worst point. Heat is your enemy!

SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Ethanol/Methanol may be my friend in that regard.
    Must - Go - Faster !

Your limit will be the Trilogy SC. After 13.5psi you lose all efficiency. I had a boost map back in the day when I ran one, I will look to see if I can find it.

UPR and Roush use to make nice tensioners. I cannot say what the quality is now. I had -0- belt slip with my Trilogy @13.5psi stock lower/3.0 upper/Roush tensioner/ non HD tensioner stand from Gorsuch

I'd say upper 400HP is about all your going to get with a roots SC

Quote Originally Posted by Dragcity View Post
    Ethanol/Methanol may be my friend in that regard.
    I have a used meth kit and 4 gals of boost juice left over I never ended up using on my last build I’d sell on the cheap. The pump should be sent in for a refresh as I hear that’s apparently recommended every year.

SOLD 12/31/2021

I have a ported trilogy, LFP intercooler, Killer Chiller, 2.8 Upper, 4lb lower, UPR tensioner, Run 15+ lbs boost, 495 rwhp on 93 octane.Diamond pistons, Eagle rods, Nitrided stock crank
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Great information right there. Thanks! Meth kit. That might be a great addition.

495 rwhp is a great number.
    Must - Go - Faster !

Alki Control with 3 bar map dual nozzle set up for I believe 99-04 Mustang. I literally know nothing about these but as far as I can tell everything is there. (I purchased from RacerX on here a few years ago) Approximately $793 new with the extras, I’ll take $350 plus shipping. Let me know as I’m starting to gather up left over parts to sell of and gain some room again…

SOLD 12/31/2021

Meth will strip the teflon coating off the rotor pack per Manguson and previous experience.

I think Blown 3.8 pulled off a meth injection drilling the lower intake and install nozzles post boost

Quote Originally Posted by RubberCtyRauder View Post
    I have a ported trilogy, LFP intercooler, Killer Chiller, 2.8 Upper, 4lb lower, UPR tensioner, Run 15+ lbs boost, 495 rwhp on 93 octane.Diamond pistons, Eagle rods, Nitrided stock crank
    I would think you have the highest output Trilogy past or present. There is one other that had the rotor pack swapped out to a M122 setup.
    Mailman, I think.

Teflon in the combustion chamber is bad juju.
    Must - Go - Faster !

If I had to build another dohc, I would bore the next one as well as stroke it.

Mine had....

Trilogy twin screw
    60lb injectors
    Svt focus pump
    BAP
    Polished/ported heads
    Crower blower cams
    Diamond pistons
    Eagle rods, crank
    Melling oil pump

Made over 600 at the wheels but IMO was not street able, kept the tune, but had another with the power turned down so I felt safe on 93 and didn’t blow the tires off on the street, even though I was on DR’s at 18-20lbs in them, car was as bad as a mustang

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

Quote Originally Posted by musclemerc View Post
    I would think you have the highest output Trilogy past or present. There is one other that had the rotor pack swapped out to a M122 setup.
    Mailman, I think.
    I think DOOM had over 500, but , Cobra block etc. Buckwheat has the it M122 stuff on his Trilogy.
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Page 1 of 10 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information