Thread: Oil gauge

Oil gauge

I know the little autometer on the dash is a fake oil sensor.... what does it get its reading from?

how difficult is it to put a proper one in there?
    Im a gearhead with way too many vehicles...

Im here to talk about my 03 Marauder. 300A/B (I have a weird mix)

165k miles as of dec 2018
    Jmod, removed 2 springs
    flomaster
    tint and 2din headunit + bigger sub

The sensor is right next to the oil filter. Just swap the sensor out with a "real" gauge and crimp on a ring connector in place of the plastic connector. Take out your factory gauge, cut the pig tail off of it and crimp or solder it on the "real" gauge and install it in place of the oem gauge.

Sent from somewhere near my Marauder using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Starshooter10 View Post
    I know the little autometer on the dash is a fake oil sensor.... what does it get its reading from?

how difficult is it to put a proper one in there?
    Depends on what you think is proper. An electrical gauge with sender is not too much trouble.A mechanical gauge is a little more work but in my eyes is "proper" as you are not relying on an electrical sender for an exact reading. Just put a mechanical one in mine with a copper feed line & the biggest problem I had was finding a copper line long enough to work.
    Last edited by mustangeddie; 02-12-2022 at 12:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangeddie View Post
    Depends on what you think is proper. An electrical gauge with sender is not too much trouble.A mechanical gauge is a little more work but in my eyes is "proper" as you are not relying on an electrical sender for an exact reading. Just put a mechanical one in mine with a copper feed line & the biggest problem I had was finding a copper line long enough to work.
    Maybe "proper" but do you really want pressurized hot oil coming into the passenger compartment?
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

you can avoid a hot oily mess on a mechanical gauge by adding a pressure isolator, that leaves a non greasy, non flammable liquid being what enters your cabin and in the event of a ruptured line, no bad liquid spilling under the dash. Although the added expense and added work would not be worth it in my opinion on a non-dedicated race car. I am perfectly happy with my "real" electric sender style gauge. https://www.autometer.com/high-press...r-300-psi.html

Sent from somewhere near my Marauder using Tapatalk

Swapping the real gauge is a snap. Only if you're happy doing it a third of the way correctly. To make it completely correct, you must disassemble BOTH gauges and move the internals only using the OE face. The new gauge appears right until nighttime when the lighting unleashes the tragic differences.

'04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    Maybe "proper" but do you really want pressurized hot oil coming into the passenger compartment?
    Have done it on many of my cars for 40+ years with no problem at all... so yes.Would never do it with the pos plastic line that comes with the gauge copper line only.

Quote Originally Posted by BAD MERC View Post
    Swapping the real gauge is a snap. Only if you're happy doing it a third of the way correctly. To make it completely correct, you must disassemble BOTH gauges and move the internals only using the OE face. The new gauge appears right until nighttime when the lighting unleashes the tragic differences.

Or... replace the voltmeter so they are both the same...... most won't notice the difference... including Marauder owners.
    Last edited by fastblackmerc; 02-14-2022 at 07:21 AM.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

you can also pickup the factory style voltmeter...
    and you can choose the bulb/LED color...

https://www.autometer.com/2-voltmete...ltra-lite.html
    Im a gearhead with way too many vehicles...

Im here to talk about my 03 Marauder. 300A/B (I have a weird mix)

165k miles as of dec 2018
    Jmod, removed 2 springs
    flomaster
    tint and 2din headunit + bigger sub

Thread Information