Thread: AC compressor front end taken apart - any of these photos look bad?

AC compressor front end taken apart - any of these photos look bad?

Guys, due to a very loud squeal when the AC clutch engages, I took apart the front end (without disconnecting freon lines).
    The photos are below.
    Am I correct in thinking the clutch plate is worn down on the engage side (middle photo), and this could be the source of the squeal?
    The surface it engages to looks a little worn as well (5th photo)?
    Attachment 52362Attachment 52363Attachment 52364Attachment 52365Attachment 52366
    '03 Silver Birch. Stock rebuilt 4.L 32V DOHC, V7-JT blower w/ADTR racing supercharger kit, Shift kit in transmission, stainless works long pipes and cat backs, Ridetech coil-overs front, shocks in back (ADTR kit). Rebuilt calipers, upgraded front rotors, OEM Mercury wheels, [boost, oil P, WB fuel/air, and fuel pressure] gauges. Build duration was Dec 2019 to Mar 2022. 8 rib serp belt upgrade i/p.

How does the bearing sound? I'd replace the assembly since you already have it off. Get a shim kit for the clutch hub https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

Blazen, thanks. I will replace the assembly.
    The bearing seems to be moving very smoothly, makes no sound.
    Thanks for the shim kit URL!
    -KK
    '03 Silver Birch. Stock rebuilt 4.L 32V DOHC, V7-JT blower w/ADTR racing supercharger kit, Shift kit in transmission, stainless works long pipes and cat backs, Ridetech coil-overs front, shocks in back (ADTR kit). Rebuilt calipers, upgraded front rotors, OEM Mercury wheels, [boost, oil P, WB fuel/air, and fuel pressure] gauges. Build duration was Dec 2019 to Mar 2022. 8 rib serp belt upgrade i/p.

Shim the air gap to .013"-.035"
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

Thanks Blazen...
    I shimmed to .5mil = about .02"
    All new magnet, pulley/bearing & clutch plate installed and working nicely. But, I still have a noise when the engine is relatively cold (coming up to operating temp) and the AC is turned on.
    So, the next item to look at is the "relocated" idler pulley (see below).
    As part of the Vortech install, one of the idler pulleys present on the vehicle was relocated to a different position on the block to accommodate the different belt routing with Vortech in place.
    I will eventually find the noise. :-)
    Attachment 52383

Thread Information