Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strut recommendations

I have the VERY first set installed...still going strong ~20 years later...don't know what you speak of in failures with the Naake...
    QA1 is quality stuff...and the springs were expertly developed...meanwhile when folks back in the day were cutting stock springs..."In the Ghetto.....In the Ghetto...."

Quote Originally Posted by BackNBlack View Post
    I have the VERY first set installed...still going strong ~20 years later...don't know what you speak of in failures with the Naake...
    QA1 is quality stuff...and the springs were expertly developed...meanwhile when folks back in the day were cutting stock springs..."In the Ghetto.....In the Ghetto...."

https://www.mercurymarauder.net/foru...80#post1423380

https://www.mercurymarauder.net/foru...95#post1303595

https://www.mercurymarauder.net/foru...ke-rear-shocks

https://www.mercurymarauder.net/foru...62#post1413462

https://www.mercurymarauder.net/foru...86#post1537886

The Naake coilover setup wasn't "developed" for the Marauder, they took parts off a shelf and assembled em in a way that kind of worked. I wish I could find more threads about this but many of the early/old stuff has been lost to the sands of time after plenty of forum upgrades. I have friends who have/had the naake setup and talked about sagging progressive coil springs and blown shock seals with relatively low mileage. The ridetech setup uses hyperco linear coils and fox racing shocks.

The Naake setup was popular 15-20 years ago because it was the only coilover option on the market. Eibach lowering springs became unobtanium, eaton detroit coils were hit or miss and the last option, as you stated, was cutting the factory springs. Now with 3 different options from Ridetech (as well as the ability to select different spring rates) along with the front setup from aldan american (can't speak to any experience with these but hot rod magazine installed them here, I don't know why in 2022 anyone would even look at the Naake setup anymore.

QA1 does offer good products, I've long been looking to pick up a carbon fiber driveshaft from QA1 for my mustang. But in terms of coilovers for panthers, ridetech > naake when it comes to off the shelf offerings (can't comment on the probably awesome custom JRi setup that lifespeed had made for his car).

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

Naake on my car for ~20 years...problem free...

Too bad others feel they had issues....and then i remember all those that whacked away at their factory springs...

I can only comment on the Ridetechs. They ride waaaay better than the aftermarket shock/struts that are available. The cost is high, but if you plan to keep your Marauder you will never have to buy another shock or strut. Lifetime Warranty on Ridetechs, which are made by Fox, so you know they'll be around in the future if you ever need to warranty them. FYI, I have the stock ride height kit from ADTR.
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

You had the KYBs swapped over onto the original front springs or the Monroe springs?

The original front springs.

A few months ago I finally swapped the front struts with some replacements from rockauto. I ordered preloaded because I needed my car back on the road quick.
    Well I regretted it the moment I took it for a test drive. Those aftermarket springs lifted my front end over an inch and a half. They ride like marshmallows and bounce like crazy.

I tried to exchange on rockauto but they would only replace with the same kind. When I did the rear 4 link with aftermarket aluminum I replaced the shocks with Monroe magnums. The rear rides incredible and the front even with new suspension bounces all over the road.

I bought some Monroe magnum struts that I’m going to load with my factory springs and I’ll report back with the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. I bought the KYB front shocks. Sold the Monroe's I bought from RockAuto on Craigslist for a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by crouse View Post
    Do not buy what Rock Auto shows for the Marauder. I installed the Monroe struts and the front end sat about 2" higher.

I ended up buying new KYB front shocks, and had a local shop swap out the shocks in my existing coils.

I ended up installing the Monroe magnums on my factory springs. Ride height went back to normal and the ride stiffened up to what I remember it was before the strut failed. I did the upper control arms and sway bar links at the same time.

The car rides great now. There is one concern still on the drivers side lower control arm. I think a previous owner had the arm repaired and the bushing replaced. I can hear a clunk but it holds alignment. I guess next time I have some downtime I’ll replace the lower control arms. Those are the only remaining original suspension parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just found this posting, and I am surprised that no one corrected the idea that our Marauders came with "struts", because they certainly did not!

Yes, "strut" replacements are available. Technically, struts are MacPherson struts. Our Panther chassis cars have the shock absorbers installed inside of the coil springs. The shocks can be readily replaced, separate from the coil springs.

In the past, when under an extended warranty, Marauder owners thought that their leaking "struts" were covered, only to find that they were not "struts".

When/if you go for the excellent "strut" replacements that are available, you can get an adjustable height, spring and shock combination.

re:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacPherson_strut
    1957 Custom 2 dr Sedan, 1979 F-series 14' U-Haul 330 XD, 1979 F150 4X4 428 PI/CJ heads/NP 435/4:11 axles-rear Det. Lkr., 1993 Grand Marquis, Y2K CVPI supercharged 5.4, 2003 MM

The more I learn, the more I find out I don't know.

Confusion will be my epitaph...

Home of the Berserker Marauder, one of the ancient Norse warriors legendary for working themselves into a frenzy before a battle and fighting with reckless savagery and insane fury, held to be invulnerable...shirtless regardless of wounds...(possibly due to ingestion of psychotropic and hallucinatory drugs such as Fly Agaric Mushrooms)...

ΓρεεκΓοδ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information