Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear Suspension - does it use airbags? and a couple of other questions

Rear Suspension - does it use airbags? and a couple of other questions

Hi All,

I was playing around on a couple of OEM sites, and on teh rear suspension, it looks like a traditional spring and shock set up? However, I thought I read somewhere that it needs a rear airbag? Any input is welcome for a newbie. The car is up in Portland, so I have not seen or driven it yet.

The car is at 150,000 miles - should I be looking at a timing chain replacement? There does not appear to be any timing chain noise, but the guides are plastic.

I want to have the plugs replaced and torqued correctly to 11 lbs - dealer wants $500 plus, so will have it done at an Indy shop.

Should I have the LCM recall done or not? Reading that the fix is not great - your thoughts please.

Will be replacing teh transmission and diff fluids - any recommendations on what to use?

Thanks for the help!

The OEM rear susp. is airbags, replace if leaking or dry rotted. Arnott or Suncore brand. Timing chain guided need replaced, not chains. Do not do LCM recall, see member here FastBlackMerc.
    Trans needs Mercon V.
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Personally I wouldn't worry about doing the timing chain guides until you hear a noise, these aren't as inevitably failure prone and critical as TCG's on a older BMW V8. I checked the guides on a 130k mile engine I was installing in my 03 Marauder expecting to find them trashed, they were perfect. I sold the car with over 180k on it still not making any noise.

You bought that car on cars and bids, right? I didn't remember seeing coils on the rear, these cars only have rear air ride not full 4 wheel air ride like a Mercedes or Lincoln Mark 8.

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

Someone may have swapped the OEM bags for coils.

9XaXbJxO-MqcD7xcm82H.jpg

I think the suspension is original.....best picture I could come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by PVEPANTHER View Post
    9XaXbJxO-MqcD7xcm82H.jpg

I think the suspension is original.....best picture I could come up with.

I looked thru the sale ad and saw the rear air suspension is still in place. At 150k you're going to be about ready for control arms and shocks. Although if this car lived on smooth western roads all its life they still may be okay, but my old 03 Marauder the original suspension was tired at 150.

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

Thanks all, you guys are great. So since i have still not seen the car, I am assuming that the fronts are conventional struts and springs, and the OEM brand was Tokico. I cant seem to find these, so is KYB a good sub? Any thoughts?

@offroadkarter, thanks for the clarification. So on the rear, the airbags replace springs, but there are still shock absorbers? What would be a good replacement shock? Also, is it advisable to replace the airbags with Suncore brand at the same time since the car is at 150K?

What’s a good brand for front control arms? If I’m pulling this all apart, may as well do it at one time right!

Thanks for the help

Tokico fronts are discontinued.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Quote Originally Posted by PVEPANTHER View Post
    Thanks all, you guys are great. So since i have still not seen the car, I am assuming that the fronts are conventional struts and springs, and the OEM brand was Tokico. I cant seem to find these, so is KYB a good sub? Any thoughts?

@offroadkarter, thanks for the clarification. So on the rear, the airbags replace springs, but there are still shock absorbers? What would be a good replacement shock? Also, is it advisable to replace the airbags with Suncore brand at the same time since the car is at 150K?

What’s a good brand for front control arms? If I’m pulling this all apart, may as well do it at one time right!

Thanks for the help
    If the airbags aren't dry rotted I'd leave em alone. Mine at that mileage were but it also came from a worse environment. If they're leaking or dry rotted, you can still get Ford OE bags.

Factory Tokicos are NLA, IMO any of the stock style replacement shocks are crap but the KYBs will get the job done. The fronts are actually a coilover shock, not a strut in the sense of a macpherson strut suspension. Rears, the airbags replace the coils which were on the standard panthers, these do not have air shocks.

You can still get Ford/Motorcraft control arms, thats what I used.

2063/3214

5377/7838

@offroadkarter, thanks for the info. These are the shocks I have bought and also a set of Suncore airbags in case needed. Are these correct? Do you think at 150K I should also replace the front springs?

Would you have the part number to the control arms please?

Thanks 13076529-74E9-42C8-B858-0687C5924D0C.jpg3261808C-0D20-4422-93C1-0840B54493BB.jpgB80FF1BB-4299-4056-8035-54EC266F764F.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by offroadkarter View Post
    Personally I wouldn't worry about doing the timing chain guides until you hear a noise, these aren't as inevitably failure prone and critical as TCG's on a older BMW V8. I checked the guides on a 130k mile engine I was installing in my 03 Marauder expecting to find them trashed, they were perfect.
    YMMV.
    When I did the top end on my June '02-built 2003, around 105k miles, my guides had already eaten through to the metal.
    Wonder if it's date specific and somehow tied to the TSB for the 2V cars from 2000-30.
    '03 Marauder | '91 Country Squire | '18 Flex Ecoboost | '92 Shadow VT1100
    former Panthers: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '04 CVLX, '03 SAP P71, '10 P7B
    CLICK HERE and have your Marauder's COA info added to the database!!! | 2003 list ||| 2004 list
    Quote Originally Posted by offroadkarter View Post
    Reinhart's tuning skills were comparable to an ape slapping the keyboard in microsoft excel.

Marauder front springs are specific to the Marauder, and not reproduced. They sell you crown Vic, Marquis springs which will ride high. Best bet is to transfer marauder spring to new shock strut assembly

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Quote Originally Posted by RubberCtyRauder View Post
    Marauder front springs are specific to the Marauder, and not reproduced. They sell you crown Vic, Marquis springs which will ride high. Best bet is to transfer marauder spring to new shock strut assembly
    How different are the P-71 shocks from the MM shocks, if you know? Seem to remember the front suspension of the Marauder shared a lot of P-71 components.

I'm not sure on OEM versions, but recall many using Monroe severe duty shocks in rear which are police spec.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Quote Originally Posted by RubberCtyRauder View Post
    I'm not sure on OEM versions, but recall many using Monroe severe duty shocks in rear which are police spec.
    I replaced all 4 on mine with Monroe severe duty a loooong time ago (approx 8 years / 100k miles) and I have no complaints...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information