Thread: Re: Advice Requested / Front Lower Control Arms

Re: Advice Requested / Front Lower Control Arms

I would like to ask for some advice. I will be replacing the front lower control arms on my MM since the bushings seem to be deteriorating. When I have replaced other parts like the rear control arms, watts link, sway bars and end links, I went with Metco, Addco and Moog. What are the best options for the front lower control arms? OEM or is there an improved better quality aftermarket option like Moog? Has anyone simply replaced the bushings? What is your experience? Thank you in advance.

I replaced the lower ball joints on mine a few years ago with Moog. Better quality than most other brands and have held up well. I’ve never heard of an aftermarket control arm option for the front of our cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Black 2003 300A- built 9/07/02, # 4,675 of 7094. Trilogy #243, Installed and tuned by Mo's Speed Shop. K&N cold air intake, Aeromotive fuel pump, Kenne-Bell boost a pump, dual oil catch cans, cooling mod, complete Stainless Works long tube headers and exhaust system, Meg's non-resonated 3.5" exhaust tips , 4.10 gears. Zack & Jerry big brake conversion, TCE stainless brake lines, Ntto NT555-G2 tires;. Ridetech coilovers in front Ridetech adjustable shocks on rear air suspension. ADTR front & rear sway bars, Metco rear control arms, watts link and driveshaft loop, upgraded transmission , PTC 2800- 3000 stall torque converter, transmission cooler, driveshaft balanced, window tint, trunk spoiler, trunk organizer, SS rear bumper inserts. S55 tail lights, Red Line floor mats, Ford Escape Audiophile 6 CD Stereo, BC4E dead pedal. FBM satin aluminum pedals. Colex Supercharged Marauder emblems. Car Motorsports custom hood insulator.

The rear bushings can be found on eBay. Make sure the listing says "Big Hole". Those are bolt on. The front bushings can be replaced using a ball joint press. I have a snap on, not sure if the China presses will work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183407315156

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193631382990
    Last edited by blazen71; 06-15-2022 at 05:57 AM.
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

MM03 - I replaced the lower ball joints on mine a few years ago with Moog. Better quality than most other brands and have held up well.
    Back-in-day, FoMoCo did not recommend replacing the balls. reason: Due to the pressure necessary to press the ball joints in/out, stress cracks could(?) occur in the aluminum control arms. *And yes, I know several have done it.

Excerpted from the MOOG installation instructions...

Examine ball joint contact area of the arm and make sure it is clean and free of cracks.
    WARNING: If any cracks are found CONTROL ARM MUST BE REPLACED. Failure to replace a cracked or damaged control arm may cause loss of steering ability because the CONTROL ARM MAY BREAK and cause the wheel to separate from the vehicle.

I’ve never heard of an aftermarket control arm option for the front of our cars.
    Last fall replaced the lower control arms with NAPA parts ...

*In case the image is a no-show ... <PIC> ««« -click-

260-5261 - Left
    260-5262 - Right
    • forged aluminium control arm with a structure change for additional durability.
    • 90 Degree SAE grease fitting is included for serviceability.
    • additional corrosion resistant surface treatment on ball joint prevents the build up of rust for longer service life.
    • neoprene boots and bushings.
    • lifetime warranty.

I replaced my upper and lowers last year with Moog. I found that the upper control arms are slightly larger in diameter and the plastic clips that hold the ABS cables no longer fit.

I read on here that someone that used Moog broke either the upper or lower ball joint bolt and decided to replace everything with Motorcraft. I run several Auto-Cross events each year and so far so good.

Here's what I ordered.

Moog-RK80038 Front Upper Control Arm And Ball Joint - Passenger Side
    Moog-RK80040 Front Upper Control Arm And Ball Joint - Driver Side
    Moog-RK80396 Front Lower Control Arm And Ball Joint - Driver Side
    Moog-RK80395 Front Lower Control Arm And Ball Joint - Passenger Side

I'd also order new sway bar links and outer tie rod ends.

Thread Information