Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear Shocks Labor Cost

Rear Shocks Labor Cost

I have a rear shock that is leaking on my 2004 Mercury Marauder so I picked up some new Monroe Shocks. In my area there are places that will only put on parts if they get them, basically a ripoff, Now I do have a place that will put on my rear shocks for about $185.00 basically an hour and a half labor, is that a good price?

I will say this place is ok, I had a fuel pump that needed to be replaced and the Bosch fuel pump from NAPA was like $230.00 at the time, and they quoted me $400.00 for the part, and I knew where they got there parts. The person on the phone was like, well we can not guarantee the part, I was like, the part only has a 1 year warranty.

I do have a drive on lift at my house, not the scissor type, but where you park 1 car above and drive the other underneath, since I have never done this job and these are original shocks I just do not feel comfortable doing this myself. Any help is appreciated.

Define "good" price? Most shop rates are $100+ an hour. If you can't do it yourself, it does not seem excessive to me.
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

It seems are cars have some sort of rear air bags in the rear, and yes I thought are cars had rear shocks when in fact they have rear bags!

Quote Originally Posted by Brentster View Post
    It seems are cars have some sort of rear air bags in the rear, and yes I thought are cars had rear shocks when in fact they have rear bags!
    And… Shocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

I meant to say that I thought our cars had Air Shocks when in fact they have regular shocks with air bags!

Rear shocks on a Marauder are as basic as it gets. Take off the tire for some room to work and go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
    Rear shocks on a Marauder are as basic as it gets. Take off the tire for some room to work and go for it.
    Ok, since they are the original shocks would it be a good idea to spray the upper and lower bolts and nuts with some penetrating fluid?

Ok, since they are the original shocks would it be a good idea to spray the upper and lower bolts and nuts with some penetrating fluid?
    That's always a good idea.
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

I had my rears installed for $120 labor in Oregon. Check the airbags while you are under there, for small perforations. If the air compressor cycles on and off it signals a leak. Also I used KYB Gas Adjust in the rear and they are great. Front struts are Monroe Severe Duty. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by PVEPANTHER View Post
    I had my rears installed for $120 labor in Oregon. Check the airbags while you are under there, for small perforations. If the air compressor cycles on and off it signals a leak. Also I used KYB Gas Adjust in the rear and they are great. Front struts are Monroe Severe Duty. Good luck.
    I found a mechanic from NTB that does work on the side, he said he will come over and do it for $80.00

I was getting prices for labor on installing these rear shocks for about $300.00 best price was $180.00 Most places in my area will not let you bring in your own parts.

Owning old cars, even panthers can get pricey if you have to pay a shop to do things. Case in point: 2006 MGM transmission went out at 141k.

Rebuild at a shop , $2600 .
    Buy a trans out of wrecked 2006 off C/L , $400. A shop wanted $1000 to install that no warranties of course 10 hrs labor plus fluid. I did it myself for $64 +21 , fluid plus exhaust connector or $75. So $475 total. 35,000 miles, drives great. Took me 18 hrs though in an unheated garage.
    2003 300A BLK/DC
    153K : runs like a swiss watch...
    395/7838

Quote Originally Posted by Agent2006 View Post
    Owning old cars, even panthers can get pricey if you have to pay a shop to do things. Case in point: 2006 MGM transmission went out at 141k.

Rebuild at a shop , $2600 .
    Buy a trans out of wrecked 2006 off C/L , $400. A shop wanted $1000 to install that no warranties of course 10 hrs labor plus fluid. I did it myself for $64 +21 , fluid plus exhaust connector or $75. So $475 total. 35,000 miles, drives great. Took me 18 hrs though in an unheated garage.

I would do this myself, but I have never done something like this before, and the mechanic who said he will come over has a Ford Crown Vic so he is familiar with the Panthers.

I would do this myself, but I have never done something like this before, and the mechanic who said he will come over has a Ford Crown Vic so he is familiar with the Panthers.
    For 80 bucks great deal I can understand....
    2003 300A BLK/DC
    153K : runs like a swiss watch...
    395/7838

I know you think the price is crazy, but any successful repair shop is not a charity organization. You’re probably not taking into consideration things like rent/mortgage, utilities, liability insurance, payroll and medical insurance. Shops need to make money off parts and why they don’t make money off parts they need to make money off strictly labor. And if they’re making money off strictly labor they’re going to charge you for everything from the 10 minutes to put your car up on a lift, to the time it takes to lower it down and put it in the parking lot and do your paperwork. It’s an evil necessity, but if they install YOUR parts at a reasonable price, they will be losing money.
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox (sold)
    2004 DTR - shitbox #2

10 hours for a tranny swap? And I thought I bent people over as Plumber?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information