Thread: Coolant Cap

Coolant Cap

So, today I had the Marauder idling in the driveway while putzing around. After maybe 15 minutes or so, come back to see a river of coolant and the temp gauge getting awfully close to the danger zone. **** it down, pop the hood, take a look... The reservoir cap is leaking. It's not even the original cap, which was replaced some odd years ago for the same reason with an OEM part. This cap has probably only seen a few thousand miles put on the car since it was installed. So, should I just be expecting to have to replace the coolant reservoir cap every few years, or is there a replacement that will actually last for awhile?
    "Beast, Jr."

2003 300 A, 4.10:1 gear, JLT CAI, Marty tune, Nitto 420S and 555 tires, NGK TR55 plugs, J-mod, Skull lock knobs, and a new windshield

I'm going with: its not the cap...the car is overheating for some reason...stuck thermostat , head gasket, fan not running....some other issue
    2003 300A BLK/DC
    153K : runs like a swiss watch...
    395/7838

Probably the cap.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Purchased a new cap at local Ford dealer when mine was leaking.
    It was a stock item.
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

A bad cap would make it leak coolant but not overheat. Thermostat is original ? also looking at the coolant is it also original ? both things do not last forever. Would be a good place to start before you are stuck somewhere other than the driveway. Any thermostat can stick at anytime but usually just fails to open on warm up one day, driving or idling.
    73TORINO SPORT 112K M. BOUGHT NEW
    04 DTR 42K M.
    03 BLK 9K M.
    07 GT500 10K M.
    98 MARK VIII 70K M. BOUGHT NEW
    21 EXPLORER PLATINUM 3.0
    18 GENESIS G80 5.0
    78 RANCHERO 5.0
    54 GMC

Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Presently not looking at a cap but before you get a new one check the gasket(assuming it has one) for tears. Also check the tank sealing surface for a chip or some sort of damage that could let fluid pass.

Quote Originally Posted by TORINO View Post
    A bad cap would make it leak coolant but not overheat. Thermostat is original ? also looking at the coolant is it also original ? both things do not last forever. Would be a good place to start before you are stuck somewhere other than the driveway. Any thermostat can stick at anytime but usually just fails to open on warm up one day, driving or idling.
    It was leaking a lot of coolant, as in there was a small river of it running across the driveway. But no, not original coolant, not original thermostat. Probably due for coolant replacement anyway, even so, not too much liking it pouring out from underneath the cap as a prompting event.
    "Beast, Jr."

2003 300 A, 4.10:1 gear, JLT CAI, Marty tune, Nitto 420S and 555 tires, NGK TR55 plugs, J-mod, Skull lock knobs, and a new windshield

Quote Originally Posted by jgc61sr2002 View Post
    Purchased a new cap at local Ford dealer when mine was leaking.
    It was a stock item.
    Yeah, I'm just really annoyed given that this is the second cap, and didn't last nearly as long as the original.
    "Beast, Jr."

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    Would that also help with the poor cooling in the rear of the driver side cylinder head? I had a mod kit for letting the coolant actually flow through, but for the life of me I can never get to installing it.
    "Beast, Jr."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
    Presently not looking at a cap but before you get a new one check the gasket(assuming it has one) for tears. Also check the tank sealing surface for a chip or some sort of damage that could let fluid pass.
    Yeah, I've been meaning to pop it off to inspect it, but I haven't taken another look at it, and it was all too hot at the time.
    "Beast, Jr."

Quote Originally Posted by ledzilla View Post
    Would that also help with the poor cooling in the rear of the driver side cylinder head? I had a mod kit for letting the coolant actually flow through, but for the life of me I can never get to installing it.
    No it would not help with the cooling issue at the drivers side head. The only way to fix that is to install a rear head cooling kit.
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    No it would not help with the cooling issue at the drivers side head. The only way to fix that is to install a rear head cooling kit.
    That's what I thought, but can't blame a guy for hoping it might help a little, right?
    "Beast, Jr."

Thread Information