Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blown engine. How did this happen?! I'm sad...

Blown engine. How did this happen?! I'm sad...

I got a mechanic telling me I need a new motor. "Deep rod bearing" were his exact words. He said a rebuild isn't an option because there's no good machine shops, or something...

Somehow I ran it dry just about a month before my oil change. I noticed a clicking sound coming from the motor and then noticed my oil pressure gauge was on zero and immediately pulled over and called someone to bring me oil. I drove it home and looked for a leak. It's completely dry underneath. No spots on the driveway. Mechanic said no leaks found. He said it gets hot here and the oil just vaporizes. This is some bull. So for the last 18 years the oil stayed in the motor, but now it just turns 3 qts into vapor? I don't understand. Only thing I can think is I used a new oil on my last oil change. I put amsoil in it because my damned shade tree mechanic neighbor insisted it was the best. DANG IT!

What did I do wrong? Just lay it on me, I can take it.

Also, any ideas? Where do I get a new engine? Is my mechanic correct about a rebuild not being possible?

Oil doesn’t just vaporize. If there’s no leaks, it’s likely getting into the cylinders and burning up. Bearings are replaceable/disposable parts. The hard/expensive part is pulling the engine, finding out where all the oil went, if everything else is solid, light hone, new rod and engine bearings and rings. Lookup engine rebuild, block honing in your area. Others will pop in here with ideas too.
    11.931 @ 116.33 (MT ET Streets)
    12.073 @ 118.43 (Nitto 555)

I love the smell of Nitromethane and rubber in the morning!
    Drag racers prayer:
    As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen

Thank you RacerX. Why would the shop tell me they can't rebuild it?

How many miles on your car? What interval do you change oil? When was the date and mileage of your last oil change?

I'm extremely hard on my Marauder and I check my oil a lot. I sometimes have to add a half quart after a hard weekend of Auto-X events. I have 130K on the clock though.

I think I'm around 160k. I change the oil once a year. I just changed it last week, but that was a bit early. I typically change the oils in my cars in the fall once it cools off a bit. The clicking sound was minor at first, and I thought it might be fixed with some new oil, but the sound got much worse after the oil change.

How many mile per month/year do you put on your Marauder? I'm not a fan of these 10,000 and 15,000 mile oils. My dad always told me 3000 miles or three months which ever comes first. Oil changes are cheap.

If you can live without the car for quite a while. Send it to Dallas,GA..MO's Speed Shop..Marty Ochs. He doesn't frequent here, but is the go to shop for Marauder. They know them inside and out. Mine has been there twice and I'm 680 miles away.
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

I was wrong. It's got 138k on it now. So that means I've put about 13k/yr on it. I probably should change the oil more often, huh?

Rubber, thanks for the tip. I just left a message for Marty. Hopefully he'll call me back soon.

Quote Originally Posted by 04allstock View Post
    I was wrong. It's got 138k on it now. So that means I've put about 13k/yr on it. I probably should change the oil more often, huh?
    So, you've averaged 13k a year and now have 138k..that's approx 10 years of driving on an 18 year old car...did it sit for 8 years? Since the owners manual recommends oil changes every 5k miles, yeah, you should have changed it more often. Wonder what the transmission fluid looks like...

I lived in Asheville from 2012 until 2019 and only once did see another Marauder (a SB like mine) when driving around; it was on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The owner came back to his car while I was looking at it and I told him about this website...this was in 2013, I think. There was a Marauder owner in the Burnsville area, but I never met or ran into him.

I took my Marauder to Curtis Hi-Tech on the east side of town whenever I needed something done...it's right across the street from the VA hospital; that's the area I lived in when there (off Riceville Rd). If they can't work on it, they should know someone reputable who can...they pointed me in the right direction when I wanted to do the 3.55/4.10 gear swap.

Quote Originally Posted by 04allstock View Post
    Rubber, thanks for the tip. I just left a message for Marty. Hopefully he'll call me back soon.
    If you need his shop number or cell, message me. He does not really come here any longer.
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Silver, I bought it used with very low miles in 2015 or 16. I put 90k on it since then, so yeah pretty much. I actually decided to change the trans fluid shortly after I got it after reading some stuff on here. Not sure I needed to though.

I tried going to xpertech right up the road from there but they were always way too busy with long turnaround times. I ended up settling on Pates on Leicester closer to where I lived. They were usually pretty good, but I never needed anything major. The Marauder you saw on the parkway, was the owner on crutches?

I'm actually living South of Austin now, so if anyone knows a good place around here, lmk. Right now, my car is at Master-Tech in Kyle. Haven't used them much, but their shop is clean and they seem nice. They're looking for a replacement engine right now. I'm still hoping there's a better solution than a damned heart transplant. Idunno, maybe I'm just in The Nile.

Rubber, I think I was able to find it by searching. Thank you, though.

So I just got back from the shop. They gave me an estimate of about 8 grand including crate engine, new oil cooler and radiator and labor. This is getting ridiculous. Anyone got any better ideas?

Gotta love public forums. Now a good percentage of perspective buyers will know what not to buy.

13,000 miles? Really?

I did mine once or twice a year depending on mood and it only averaged 900 a year.

About the cheapest thing you could have done and now you’re second guessing a shop? You should be thankful it got you this far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information